track faders moving on their own. no automation involved

Aaron Krause

I have a 20 track session going on in logic. been working in it for the past 2 or 3 months.

just today i opened it and the volume fader for my vocal track will, usually, in generally the same area of the song, cut about 6-7db without my hand touching it. There is no automation on this track. In fact, just to try and fix the problem i tried setting the automation level to stay at +3 db and still at roughly the same place in the song the volume fader for just this one track will fall about 6db.

tried restarting

didnt help

Could be region automation (hyperdraw)...do you see any suspicious white bars on the region?

If not, it could also be MIDI data coming into Logic from ouside, from a MIDI controller or audio/MIDI interface.

Try going to project settings, MIDI, Input Filter, and check the Control Changes box (to filter out any rogue controller 7 messages)

J.

• 10 years later...

Hi Jordi & Aaron,

I just found this thread as I've a similar issue where numerous volume faders are jumping up and down wildly with no volume automation drawn in and it's even when the track is not playing!

It's not reading anything from the hyperdraw and I've checked the 'control changes' box within Project Settings.

Here's an example of the gremlins in action: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sk5mGkSWNqRy6eJY3GsAZZxPC78qIAUi/view

Please can anyone help find a solution? I will be forever grateful :)

Thanks in advance!

Shane

My specs:

Software:

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Logic Pro X 10.4.1

Hardware:

Keyboard - M-Audio KeyRig 49

Interface - Resident Audio T4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jordi,

Thanks for your help with this and sorry for the slow response.

I have done as you've suggested and I'm still having the same problem unfortunately.

However, your suggestion has helped me realise that it is a problem with my keyboard (m-audio keyrig 49). As soon as I pull the USB-B cable out of the keyboard, the faders stop twitching in my DAW. As soon as I plug it back in, the faders start again.

I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem further though (i.e. if it's a mechanical problem and it's time to splash out on a new keyboard or if it can be fixed with a software / driver update). Jiggling the cable around whilst it's plugged in doesn't seem to have any affect on the behaviour.

Any other thoughts on what else I could try?

Really appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...