Live mode OFF

EYNAN

Is there any way to turn off the Live mode for soft instruments?

If I freeze the track there no live mode in this track but I can´t play or record in this track.

Now I'm confused. :?

yes, as I said, I was wrong, I want to keep the tracks ALWAYS in live mode TURN ON . (always with the "R" button in RED, when I select a track).though It consume more CPU.

best regards and sorry.

Unless there is some new feature in Logic 9.1.2 which I'm not aware of then the answer is "no", there is no way to keep Live Mode disabled or persistent. It's always vacillating. It's an unfortunate situation that we can't, and a real PITA that we can't but that's where we're at.

BTW, if you could, please update your user profile to indicate which version of Logic you're running, including the sub-release (e.g., 9.0.2, 9.1.1, etc.)

It would help if we knew what you're trying to do exactly?
Hi.

EricBradley sent me a link where Apple explained about LIVE MODE

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=24%26tasks=true

The solution was to send a MIDI event through a sustain pedal or mod wheel for not cut the first note is played.

So, I´d like to keep the live mode always "ON" for not to send this events.

best regards.

Hi

Simply pressing "Play' also puts the currently selected track in Live mode (and puts all other instrument tracks in "not-live".

HTH

CCT

I could only hope that that were consistently true, CCT. :( On my system I struggle constantly between Logic going into Live mode automatically when hitting play, and having to force Live Mode to turn on by playing a sustain pedal or something.

Logic makes the puppy sad...

That's what I thought. Please refer to my answer above for the, um, answer.
yes I saw that, thank you very much for your answer.

I have updated my profile, I wrote what version I have installed now and what model of macpro I use.

By the way, You talked about the new version, I know this is not the post, but, do you recommend me to use hiperthreading? Logic disable the hiperthreading cores, so I just can see 4 cores insted 8 cores. (but I have read that using Hiperthreading Logic becomes unstable.. why?. with 9.1.1 worked fine hiperthreading, didn´t it?

thank you again and best regards.

I can't advise you on hyperthreading, as I'm not using an Intel Mac. There are many threads on the subject, though, both here on LPH as well as on the Apple/Logic forum.

Here's one from here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=63212&highlight=cores

I'd suggest reading through the entire post, as it starts out saying that there's a problem with some Macs, but a fix is mentioned later in the thread.

Hi

Simply pressing "Play' also puts the currently selected track in Live mode (and puts all other instrument tracks in "not-live").

HTH

CCT

I knew, but when logic is in "PLAY" mode, if you select another track , the track selected is in live mode OFF.

I´d like as I said to have all the tracks always in live mode ON.

Best regards and thank you. very much.

Further info... Sometimes when Logic is already in play and I switch tracks, it's totally random as to whether or not the track will go into Live Mode or not. This has been driving me bonkers in L8 and L9, and if memory serves, Logic 7 too.
so. do you like to have always live mode ON as me?

Cubase works fine in this way.

best regards.

I can't advise you on hyperthreading, as I'm not using an Intel Mac. There are many threads on the subject, though, both here on LPH as well as on the Apple/Logic forum.

Here's one from here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=63212&highlight=cores

I'd suggest reading through the entire post, as it starts out saying that there's a problem with some Macs, but a fix is mentioned later in the thread.

thank you very much. I´ll read it.

do you like to have always live mode ON as me?

Absolutely yes. Personally I can't see any reason why it should ever be off. The way I look at it, Logic is a composition tool. So if I select a track it's to record something. "Duh!!", right?

Interesting to know that Cubase works differently (and IMNSHO) correctly.

Absolutely yes. Personally I can't see any reason why it should ever be off. The way I look at it, Logic is a composition tool. So if I select a track it's to record something. "Duh!!", right?

+1

For me it's the most annoying "feature" of Logic.

yes, Cubase works very fine in this way. but. another thing that Cubase works fine and Logic doesn´t have these optiion (and I don´t know why). is the floating windows. Cubase lets open the vst plugins without floating windows, so you can select the arrange windows and the plugin goes to back, so you can use EXPOSE (tipical OSX option). to bring to the front the plugin you wish. (That´s cool). but in Logic, (I questioned for this option in another post). just can bring the plugins back (ALL PLUGINS) with the keycommand "V", and you can bring they to front, by pushing "V" again. , ´that´s ridiculous, you can´t use the marvellous EXPOSE into this program.

On the other side, the Cubase plugins are unusable (cheap synths and plugins) and the Logic plugins (ES1, ES2, etc... ) are really really cool.

best regards.

I don't think there's a "correctly" and an "uncorrectly". Which is why different software use different techniques (MainStage has all instruments always in Live mode, which makes sense for MainStage - not for Logic). The reason behind the "non Live mode" is that putting all the instruments in Live mode all the time would require a large amount of CPU, most of the time for no reason. That means that you could choke your CPU simply by selecting a high-CPU instrument track. But what if you just wanted to select it for some editing reason? Then you'd have to stop the project, select the track and start playback again. Annoying, no? Instead, the Logic team thought of that feature, which gives us the ability to select all the tracks we want during playback without affecting what the CPU is supposed to do: focus on playing back the project.

MainStage, on the other hand, has all instruments in live mode at all times. But look at the incredible amount of CPU and RAM it requires to run! I for one am glad Logic is not working the same way.

If you want to play or record that instrument, don't select its track, but instead, click its R button.

David,

Of course, YMMV and all that, but respectfully I disagree. To me this is as bad an idea as, say, something crazy like not showing the audio waveform while you're recording. It could be argued that the low-resolution waveform display that we currently have with Logic isn't really accurate, and keeping an eye on the meters is a better way of checking levels. Or, perhaps not to totally alienate the user from the recording process, we're given a black bar that progresses across the track lane to show that data is actually being written to disk, but only after the recording is finished do we get to see the waveform.

I know that all sounds kinda crazy but that's how I liken the implementation of "live mode". I think the Logic boyz need to remember that recording in a studio is no different than playing live (a la Mainstage), and that when the impulse strikes to put down an idea that there should be absolutely nothing to get in the way.

Also... we have options for editing without activating a track. Select the region and edit away. Yay! And activating the track is handy too, for inputting notes (step entry mode or MIDI input mode), etc., or just playing along with the same sound that you're editing.

There should be no limitations, period.

But...

If someone is using a CPU-hungry plugin that's causing problems because that track is active/in record, it's so simple: turn record off! But no, the implementation is completely bass-ackwards and highly unprofessional.

To the idea that Logic consumes a lot of processing power to "listen" to live input, I don't buy it. I think there's more to it than that, and that the explanation we're given (in the Logic manual) is a whitewash to hide bad programming. Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, David, in describing what this feature is supposed to offer. But if what the manual describes is true, then how does one explain how buggy it is? As I said above, Logic is not consistent with respect to which tracks go "live" upon selecting them and which don't.

[EDIT] Proof that having a track in record all the time isn't a problem is borne out every day by people working and having instrument tracks in record! In all the years I've been on this forum I don't think I've ever read a complaint from someone that having an instrument track in record is dragging CPU performance down. And if there have been such reports, I daresay they've been few and far between. Perhaps that's because the fix is so simple: take the track out of record.

And for as much as I love Logic, "Logic makes the puppy sad".

There should be no limitations, period.

In an idea world, maybe. But there are limitations: your hardware. All the software developers are doing is trying to give you a smooth experience despite those limitations.

There are many reasons for selecting a track during playback that don't include recording on it. Maybe you want to delete that track. Maybe you want to duplicate it. Maybe you want to select all the regions on that track. Etc, etc...

And if you want to record on that track, what's wrong with clicking its R button? :shock:

If all instruments were put in live mode as soon as you selected their tracks, the forums would be filled of people complaining that if you select a track during playback, sometimes the playback chokes or stops etc... you can't win both ways.

And if you want to record on that track, what's wrong with clicking its R button? :shock:

You make a good point, but sometimes clicking isn't desirable:

1) when selecting tracks by using the up/down arrows, sometimes a track will go into record and sometimes it won't. That renders the whole idea of a smooth user experience moot. Makes it very hard to understand if Live Mode is actually a feature at all. If the devs were really interested in making the user experience as smooth as possible they'd have to work a little harder to make the behavior consistent.

2) asking people to use the mouse to select a track and have it operate in a natural, intuitive way (e.g., going into record immediately and unquestionably) forces some users into a workflow that may not be comfortable. Guess who falls into that category? :mrgreen: I'm extremely key command oriented, and sometimes having to fish around for the mouse just takes too long. If the track I want to select is one lower or higher than the currently selected track, I'll up or down-arrow and my natural expectation is to be able to play immediately. But as I've said, the behavior is inconsistent as to whether the track activates or not.

3) very often I will create a new track with same instrument. That's a key command (shift-T for me). Sometimes that track will go into live mode right after being created (fully red "R" button). Sometimes it won't, the "R" taking on a grayish-red state. And other times that track ends up being completely unresponsive to MIDI input, with the "R" totally off, and no amount of feeding it "start up" events turns it on.

To me this is a situation which clearly illustrates that the needs of users with all different preferences need to be accommodated, if simply by way of adding user preferences which will let us choose the behavior we want. After all, Logic lets you open multiple songs at once, though we're given a warning that it's not a good idea. In this same spirit, I can't see why we can't have a preference for Live Mode behavior, even if it meant having to put up with an initial warning message saying something like "having Live Mode on constantly may drain CPU resources". I'm willing to take that risk.

1) when selecting tracks by using the up/down arrows, sometimes a track will go into record and sometimes it won't. That renders the whole idea of a smooth user experience moot. If they were really interested in making the user experience as smooth as possible they'd have to work a little harder to make the behavior consistent.

It is consistent, only we don't know the exact algorithm that makes the decision of whether to put a track in live mode or not. Logic needs to know whether or not putting that instrument into Live mode would hinder playback, and make a decision according to that knowledge.

However I find the behavior to be pretty consistent: if you start playback and then try to select another software instrument track during playback, it will not be in live mode unless it was already in live mode when playback started. There might be some exceptions to that, but in general that's what I see.

2) asking people to use the mouse to select a track and have it operate in a natural, intuitive way (e.g., going into record immediately and unquestionably) forces some users into a workflow that may not be comfortable. Guess who falls into that category? :mrgreen: I'm extremely key command oriented, and sometimes having to fish around for the mouse just takes too long. If the track I want to select is one lower or higher than the currently selected track, I'll down-arrow and expect to be able to play immediately. But as I've said, the behavior is inconsistent as to whether the track activates or not.

There are key commands to rec-enable the selected track. Sure, that's now a 2 step operation rather than one.

3) very often I will create a new track with same instrument. That's a key command (shift-T for me). Sometimes that track will go into live mode right after being created (fully red "R" button). Sometimes it won't, the "R" taking on a grayish-red state. And other times that track ends up being completely unresponsive to MIDI input, so no amount of feeding it "start up" events turns it on.

OK so that's a different problem, unrelated to live mode.

To me this is a situation which clearly illustrates that the needs of users with all different preferences need to be accommodated, if simply by way of adding user preferences which will let us choose the behavior we want. After all, Logic lets you open multiple songs at once, though we're given a warning that it's not a good idea. In this same spirit, I can't see why we can't have a preference for Live Mode behavior, even if it meant having to put up with an initial warning message saying something like "having Live Mode on constantly may drain CPU resources". I'm willing to take that risk.

I agree that a preference would make everybody happy. Well, except that if we had preferences for every single feature then the Preferences window would quickly become daunting and unusable. Maybe there should be an advanced set of preferences with an "easy mode" which always returns all advanced preferences to a basic preset. Hmmm.... maybe that's a good idea?

It is consistent, only we don't know the exact algorithm that makes the decision of whether to put a track in live mode or not. Logic needs to know whether or not putting that instrument into Live mode would hinder playback, and make a decision according to that knowledge.

You know what's really funny? The only time I've ever had a problem with the CPU being taxed was just recently... I had a full set of saxes and brass instruments loaded up in a single instance of Kontakt. I think it was 9 instruments altogether. "All of a sudden", my arrangement would progressively slow down and get really distorted-sounding as I played it down. It was so weird that it was actually cool (though I don't think my client would have agreed :lol: ). I had no idea why this was happening until...

Yes, you guessed it! That track had been put into Live Mode automatically when I selected it at some point prior to hitting Play. I was sooooo happy to have discovered this. Really, I was. But...

Then Logic made the puppy sad again, because out of all the tracks in my arrangement, that Kontakt track was the ONLY one that would go into Live Mode when selected.

[ sigh... ]

There are key commands to rec-enable the selected track. Sure, that's now a 2 step operation rather than one.

Yup, that's too much to ask.

Now of course, what kind of spoiled little sh!ts does that make us then? We can't take the time to hit a few key commands or press the mouse button here and there? Really now... I'd be ashamed of myself under normal circumstances writing this kind of thing. Reminds me of the Jetsons, where George comes home from work looking tired, and Jane lovingly asks him "had a hard day at the button, dear?"

But it's not that simple. Multiply the number of hours I sit "at the button" tallying up extraneous moves needed to do something as basic as getting ready to record and... **fizzle**

I agree that a preference would make everybody happy. Well, except that if we had preferences for every single feature then the Preferences window would quickly become daunting and unusable.

Historically, Logic has seen an increase in the number of preferences over the years. Consider how many more there are now than with, say, Logic 4? And we have tons of features which are pretty hard for noobs to understand, like Low Latency Mode. So here I don't agree. The program is already daunting for noobies, so adding a few more prefs wouldn't hurt, IMO.

Maybe there should be an advanced set of preferences with an "easy mode" which always returns all advanced preferences to a basic preset. Hmmm.... maybe that's a good idea?

Hey man, if that's what it takes then I'm all for that. I l-o-v-e that idea!

DownloadedFile.jpeg.d33ec174ba7e4efb336a7a2f5c6e0edd.jpeg

Edited by ski