Help importing 12 channel WAV file into Logic 9

sbrocke
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

Hey there,

I am trying to import a 12 channel file that I recorded at my church using BIDULE. I can record in two different ways. The first records the file as ONE MULTIChannel wav file. The 2nd is recording and it gives me 12 individual files (drum, snare, guitar2 etc).

What i want to do is take these from the church and import them into Logic 9 so i can do a rough mix and give it back to my worship teams or perhaps a producer.

I have searched and I am sure that I just not looking in the right place. When I import the multichannel wave file(with 12 channels) it only gives me one channel.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks again for this awesome resource for us Logic users.

Scott Brockett

Multi-channel files are not usually used for multi-track recordings. Just like you wouldn't use a stereo file to record an oboe on one channel and a clarinet on the other, you wouldn't use a 12 channel file to record 12 instruments. You have to record 12 mono files if you're recording 12 different instruments that you want to process independently.

• 6 years later...
Multi-channel files are not usually used for multi-track recordings. Just like you wouldn't use a stereo file to record an oboe on one channel and a clarinet on the other, you wouldn't use a 12 channel file to record 12 instruments. You have to record 12 mono files if you're recording 12 different instruments that you want to process independently.

This is not entirely true. Many of the professional portable multitrack recorders such as those from Sound Devices, Zaxcom and others that record multitrack BWF (WAV) files. So it records the tracks separately but creates a single file with all the tracks contained. Unfortunately logic does not split the file into its individual tracks upon import as far as I can tell. WaveAgent is a good workaround though.

• Solution

Actually Logic can.....

If you truly have a multi-channel audio file - you can drag it from finder into the arrange window while holding the option key.

This will provide a prompt box where you can import it as single track or have it create a track for each channel in the audio file...

1591756488_multiaudioimport.thumb.gif.18aaef9dea41137d11425b241ec5283c.gif