Snap to zero crossing editing with scissor tool?

XAXAU

Hey ho!

I´m coming from Cubase where I have this cool trick that I always use on electronic bassdrums.

What I do is to zoom in on a great bassdrum (as far as possible) and chop it up at every zero crossing in the beginning of it (where the "punch" from the pitchdrop is) say a 64th or 32nd and then normalize it to -0.1dBFS. This simply brings out the punch like no other process can. You should definately try it out.

However, in Logic, whenever I try to cut with the scissor tool, it just cuts wherever I cut, nowhere near a zero sample crossing, but in Cubase if I do that, the cut will snap to, you guessed it, the nearest zero crossing?:) Also in Cubase I´m able to see where I´m about to cut, but not in Logic?

Otherwise I´m liking Logic, even though it´s a bit strange:)

Thanks!!!

There's a Snap Edits to Zero Crossings option in the arrange, but it doesn't apply to dividing regions.

You could try this method instead of the scissors:

Using the Key Command and single sample Marquee selections to perform quick audio region edits.

Single point Marquee selections are very useful if you want to quickly divide a region into sections based on transients. If you press the Delete key, the region will be split at the Marquee selection point.

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT4326/HT4326_07-en.png

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT4326/HT4326_07-en.png

Afterward, the Marque selection remains active, so it's easy to use the ← or → keys to move the selection to other transients and quickly perform additional splits. You can clear the Marquee selection by clicking anywhere outside the current selection with the Pointer tool.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4326

J.

There's a Snap Edits to Zero Crossings option in the arrange, but it doesn't apply to dividing regions.]

First off, thanks.

Secondly, I don´t mean to come across as rude, but please remove "SOLVED" from the topic title.

1.What on earth is "snap to zero crossing" for if not for doing edits???

There is one in the Sample Editor window as well, but in there the scissor tool is nowhere to be found? I tried the marquee tool tip too but it does not work. It just snaps to whatever Logic "thinks" are transients.

2. The question remains, how do I cut at a zero crossing? In the arrange window, even though I zoom in max and apply a cut where it looks like there´s a zero crossing (so hard to see, would have been way better if the waveform representation was actually a waveform and not some sample and hold lego nonsense) it cuts where there isn´t one and I get a click.

3. Is there a way to do edits in the Sample Editor window? There is the proper waveform display, but no scissors?

I don´t want to have to jump into Cubase everytime I want to do a simple edit and juggle audio files in between it and Logic.

Thanks.

1.What on earth is "snap to zero crossing" for if not for doing edits???

"edits" can be a variety of things, not just cuts.

Here's what the manual says about it:

Important: The Audio > Snap Edits to Zero Crossings setting in the Arrange area’s local

menu bar has no effect when dividing audio regions, using any of the methods outlined

above. Audio > Snap Edits to Zero Crossings, when activated, only applies to alterations

of the start or end point of a region, not divide operations. If you want to automatically

divide an audio file into multiple regions, use the Strip Silence function.

You could use the sample editor to achieve what you want. Enable Snap Edits to Zero Crossings in the sample editor, make a selection (which will snap to zero crossings) and then use Edit > Selection → Region...or Edit > Create New Region.

J.

There is no action that you would want to perform at a zero crossing besides to cut. :)

Anyway, when I do that, it deletes all the other parts of the region? So I need like 20 audio channels to do this or?

Can´t believe that Logic can´t do a simple thing like cutting at a zero crossing :(

Uh, it deletes every other part of the REGION, not the sample itself, I know.

When I create new regions they don´t show up in the arrange window.

I tried to select parts of the sample and then selection to region, then dropped that region down to another audio track. Then I kept on going with the next part and glued them together with the shuffle option in the drag menu but the regions ended up longer than the original.

And heres the twist: now I wanna normalize each little region :)

Unbelivable that Apple don´t know how to use a pair of scissors ;)

When I create new regions they don´t show up in the arrange window.

Look in the audio bin.

And heres the twist: now I wanna normalize each little region

Also in the sample editor.

Why did you switch from Cubase?

I really don't understand why people complain about such and such software not doing this and that like that other software does...find the tool that works best for YOU and stick to it, don't waste your time, get your s#!+ done.

J.

True, I switched cause when I´m doing loads of automation in Cubase it always crashes. Lost so many projects. Heartbraking. Macs are way more user friendly too.

But when I´ve chopped up the different regions and patched them together again and try to normalize I´m just normalizing the original sample right? I wanna normalize the different regions which I then have to bounce individually into audio files and normalize and then glue together again, puh? :)

When I "create new region" it doesn´t end up a new audiofile too or? It´s still using the same "source" file? Or does it create new versions?

It´s not the end of the world if it doesn´t work, it´s just that I´m a little bit sick of Cubase. But I can always jump in there and do my bassdrums, it´s not like I do them while I´m producing anyway. :)

Secondly, I don´t mean to come across as rude, but please remove "SOLVED" from the topic title.

XAXAU, that was my mistake, sorry about that. Removed it.

You're supposed to be able to snap edits to zero crossings using Audio > Snap Edits to Zero Crossings but that hasn't work for at least the 3 last major Logic versions.

No worries bro. This is something Apple has to fix ASAP, IMHO. It´s a major PITA for me, and others too I imagine.

I do these kind of micro edits all the time, but mostly on bassdrums.

Is there something we can do to make them do it? Like signing a petition or sending them a bomb threat? :)

You can always send them a note via this form: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html.

To continue working in the meantime, don't worry about zero crossings, and add 1ms fade ins and outs to all your regions, that goes around the problem nicely.

The thing is, if you read my OP, that I wanna chop up the first 64th note length of a bassdrum at every zero crossing and then apply normalization to those parts and then bounce to increase the punch of the bassdrum. When it´s finally chopped up I can´t just mark the new small regions and normalize. I can do all this in Cubase within minutes, including applying some tasty UAD 1176LN compression :)

Strip silence won´t work cause there is no silence within the bassdrum, only compressions / rarefactions and zero crossings.

Hi!

I also migrated from Cubase little over a year ago. I battled with the same problem until I found the solution: the Snap to zero crossings function in the Logics Arrange window is either buggy, or fundamentally flawed in design.

If you try Cubase style "zerocross" editing in Logics Arrange window, it will only work on the audio regions end, not the start point. You can try this yourself.

And it doesnt even work in the Sample editor - the way it should anyway. Before you can get the regions start AND end points, or any resizing, to snap to zeros in the sample editor, first you have to manually set the anchor (that orange thing) to somewhere else than regions start point. Then you can snap edit the regions start and end to zeros, but then you have to set the anchor manually again, so that the region will be in align with the time grid (of course, the original sync will be lost). And in my Logic 9.1.3, I always have to make the anchor setting twice. It never stays where it should at the first time.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57321&highlight=

• 2 years later...
This problem has bothered me for years, always think I'm cutting to zero crossing but still getting clicks. I've used the fade in to override the problem but I feel like having these fades on hundreds of regions gives Logic more things to think about than necessary. This thread is really old so I was wondering if anybody knows if there's been a fix for this?

There is no action that you would want to perform at a zero crossing besides to cut. :)

Oh yes there are! Resizing a region, moving the junction between regions, selecting a portion of the waveform with the Marquee to copy/paste somewhere else, etc etc.

However, in the Arrange area, snap to zero crossing doesn't work for those either, unfortunately.

• 4 years later...