how can i disable midi inputs in Logic 9?

johnroney

i have a mackie control midi device plugged into my fireface 800 (rme) to control its internal mixer/router.

the fireface is connected via firewire to my mac.

regardless of what track i am on, or even if there are no tracks in the arrange window, midi data is received from logic (received from the Mackie control)...and... somehow, it has been 'thru'-ed to my synths as well...

this means that when i move a slider on the mcc (mackie control), it moves faders on the mixer window in logic, and (in certain conditions) then it Thru's that signal to my synths giving me the typical crazy midi messages that MCC is programmed to make (high pitched squealing, weird note #s, etc - mackie design).

so, my question is - how can i just CANCEL the midi in's from the fireface? it's very cool to have the MCC hooked up because it can control headphone mixes really quick, and not even need the host (logic) to be running.

there must be a way to DISABLE the midi input from the MCC into logic. i have deleted it as a control surface, but that does not prevent the midi information from reaching my synth! it also doesn't change the fact that logic still SEES it...

there must be a way to have this disconnected from the logic environment???

ex. from cubase - there are lists of what your inputs are/are not, and you have full control of what inputs are used, and which are not... it would be nice to have a feature like this in Logic - where you could keep your gear plugged in, and setup, but just decide (even in templates?) which setup you were going to use or not....?

is this possible???

please advise.

thanks.

In the Environment window, open the "Click and Ports" layer, and on the Physical Input object, cable the device of your choice to a dummy object, such as a Monitor that is not plugged into anything.

The incoming events from that device will no longer be part of the "SUM" cable at the top of the physical input, and won't be routed anywhere (but to that dummy monitor).

15031202_.png.e6ac4dbec7036fb395f7e88e0be9a0c0.png

• 2 years later...

how do you disable all midi messidges and midi data with in logic

the Xone DB4 i want just to handle the audio as a mixer i have this set up as my mane audio card in logic

midi wize i have an Access virus Ti2 with midi data sent to a Mudio 4x4 interface going into the Vsynth XT

thats my midi devices

I have all this set up but when i try and select volume controls on the zone DB4 i get midi messidges flying all over the place !

i have tried the above description and i don't no how to chose a Dummy object??

i have port A------------- sum

port C------------ Port B

Xone DB4-------------------

Caps lock Keyboard

i get the same pic as a hove but with no empty box my input view has lots of notes in it

help me :):)

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for this thread. I have had this annoying Low C note playing non stop every time I record enable a track due to my control surface being connected to Pro Tools. Sending the remote channels from my control surface to the monitor got rid of the problem. THANK YOU!

Out of curiosity, is there any way to get the Physical Input menu to look any clearer? I have all of my MIDI inputs crammed together in that little window and it is so hard to tell where I am plugging the virtual cables. Thanks. (I am on Logic X)

Out of curiosity, is there any way to get the Physical Input menu to look any clearer? I have all of my MIDI inputs crammed together in that little window and it is so hard to tell where I am plugging the virtual cables. Thanks. (I am on Logic X)

You can change the name of your devices' ports to make things a bit clearer in the physical input object, but that's it.

Check this tutorial by Eric Cardenas:

Master Audio MIDI Setup.

J.

• 8 months later...
How to disable an input for step input in piano roll?

Just mapping the to be disabled port to a dummy object does not work.

Any idea? please?

Hi, please open a new thread for your issue, providing as much info about it as possible.

Also, please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Thank you.

J.