Drive/partition can not be used for audio recording [SOLVED]

thekish

...with Core Audio"

I keep getting this message when I try to record enable a track in a project. I had already saved the project to my external hard drive. Once I click Ok on the message window, it gives me a directory of where to save the audio, and I choose to save it to the audio files folder for the project on the external hard drive, and it works fine.

This happens with every track I record enable, and is pretty annoying, as I have to go through picking the same directory for each individual track. Is there a way to just tell logic to record all audio files to the Audio Files folder on the external hard drive? Thanks for your help.

I had already opened the original logic file from my internal hard drive and used the "Save As" command to save the project to my external (which, according to the first link should have set the default recording path for that project to the Audio Files folder on the external). And I'm not quite sure what the second thread was suggesting. Can someone break it down for me?

It happens with each project that I do like this. Always says it can't use the drive to record Core Audio, then I select that very drive to record and save audio to, and it works every time (I've opened saved projects from the external and everything loads fine). It's just an annoyance having to tell it each time where to record when I arm a track.

It's an annoyance you should not have to deal with.

So if you open a brand new "Empty Project" factory template, create a software instrument track, save the project, then create an audio track and record-enable it, you are prompted to define a record path (you shouldn't be)?

In your Save window (for the project), at the bottom, which assets are selected?

It's an annoyance you should not have to deal with.

So if you open a brand new "Empty Project" factory template, create a software instrument track, save the project, then create an audio track and record-enable it, you are prompted to define a record path (you shouldn't be)?

In your Save window (for the project), at the bottom, which assets are selected?

I went through the steps you outlined, opening the new project with a software instrument and using "Save As" to save it to my external. I then created an audio track and armed it, and was told again that the drive/partition couldn't be used to record core audio, and the window to specify a recording path opened.

The only assets selected when I saved were "Include Assets", and underneath that in the advanced options, "copy external audio files to project folder" was also checked. That's it.

OK try this:

1) Open a new, Empty Project, create a software instrument track and save the project.

2) Open Settings > Recording - under Core Audio, is the record path now defined?

I saved it to my external hard drive, and there is no record path defined under core audio.

OK so at this point it would be interesting to know what version of Logic, of OS X etc.. you're running. Hopefully someone with the same Logic version # can do a quick test too. Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

I would also try quitting Logic, moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist to your desktop and reopening Logic, see if that changes anything.

But the behavior should be: save the project, and the record path is automatically updated to the audio file folder inside the project folder.

I removed the file (mine is com.apple.logic.express.plist), and the recording path was still not set. Some things did change (it opened my previous project I was working on. I had changed this previously so that it would not open a project when I start Logic Express). However the issue remains. Logic still creates an Audio Files folder in the project folder (which it did for the previous projects that I had saved to the external drive), but the recording path still says "no recording path".

OK so it wasn't the preference file. If you had any other custom preferences /key commands etc... you can quit Logic, move the preference file back from the desktop into its original location, and reopen Logic. If you don't mind resetting your preferences manually one at a time, then you can just trash that preference file.

Couple more things to try.

1) How much space is left available on the HD?

2) How is the HD formatted? (You can check in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)

3) What audio interface are you using?

1. 114 GB left

2. Format is MS-DOS (FAT 32)

3. I'm using a MOTU 8Pre

2. Is the problem! You want your hard drive formatted for Mac OS X Extended.

That means that you need to carefully back up your hard drive, reformat it (which will DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE), then move the backed up files back onto the drive.

To reformat (which will DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE), open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities, click the "Erase" tab (notice the name, "Erase", which means you're about to ERASE ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE), set the Volume Format to Mac OS Extended and click "Erase" at the bottom right.

PS: Make sure you backup everything first, as this operation will .... well you got it by now. :lol:

2. Is the problem! You want your hard drive formatted for Mac OS X Extended.

That means that you need to carefully back up your hard drive, reformat it (which will DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE), then move the backed up files back onto the drive.

To reformat (which will DELETE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE), open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities, click the "Erase" tab (notice the name, "Erase", which means you're about to ERASE ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE), set the Volume Format to Mac OS Extended and click "Erase" at the bottom right.

PS: Make sure you backup everything first, as this operation will .... well you got it by now. :lol:

I reformatted my drive (this was for my external, not internal) to Mac OS Extended & Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and still got the same result both times when I tried to record enable a track.