Change sample rate for piece of audio? [SOLVED]

Soundhound
Go to solution Solved by Scott Jackson,

I've got a Logic file (project) I'm working on that somehow got saved as with the audio sample rate setting at 44.1 (from a crash I had last week I think), and all my other Logic files are at 48. I'm doing several project files concurrently, for a film score (one per cue, one for a full template to look at bounces in the full cut) and when I export a cue from that one into the others, it plays too fast. So I wanted to change the sample rate of this project to 48, to match all the others. When I did that it all worked fine, except for the track of guitar I've got, which plays out of sync and too fast.

So my question is, is there a way to not change that piece of audio's sample rate when I switch the whole project over? Or a way to resample it at 44.1 after it's been changed to 48, so it will sync up, play at the right tempo and pitch?

Thanks!

Thanks again Scott. Is there a way to prevent the audio file from being converted in the first place, when I change the setting for the project?

Open the Bin. Select the Audio file that you want to convert.

Then Audio File>Copy/Convert File(s)

Set the File Conversion settings that you desire.

Click Save

Then why does the clip play back at a different speed and pitch? The midi instruments all play the same, but the audio is now out of sync and the pitch is different. Is this a glitch? Bad file?

Changing the sample rate of a project does NOT change the sample rate of any of the audio files used within that project.

No, it's a normal behavior.

Think of it as a record player: if you play a 45 rpm at 45 rpm it sounds as expected. Change the record player to 33 rpm and your 45 rpm now plays too slow and at a lower pitch. It's the same with sample rates.

The sample rate of your audio files should be the same as the sample rate of your project. If you change the sample rate of the project, you'll have to convert your audio files to that new sample rate.

Aha, right sorry I wasn't being clear. The project I'm working in is at 44.1, I want to switch it to 48, so when I do that I'll need to change the sample rate of this and any other audio files to 48, as Scott showed me how to do.

Thanks David, sorry for the confusion.

Sorry to bug you Scott, but I followed your suggestion, but when I choose Copy/Convert I get a search window, and all the guitar files I want to convert are unselectable, grayed out. are the protected somehow perhaps?

Click Save

Sorry to bug you Scott, but I followed your suggestion, but when I choose Copy/Convert I get a search window, and all the guitar files I want to convert are unselectable, grayed out. are the protected somehow perhaps?

Open the Bin and select the Audio files that you want to convert. Do a selective screenshot (Shift+Command+4) of your Bin and post it here.

While your at it, post a screenshot of that Search Window you described.

I figured out how to convert them, but they play at the wrong time. The pitch seems to be correct, but the timing's off. I think this may be because they are part of a quick swipe comp? I hadn't yet flattened them into one take, it still exists as a quick swipe comp, maybe now it's choosing all the wrong sections of the takes or something?

edit: Just listened again, no they're definitely playing at the wrong time, thought the pitch is correct now...

Open the Bin and select the Audio files that you want to convert. Do a selective screenshot (Shift+Command+4) of your Bin and post it here.

While your at it, post a screenshot of that Search Window you described.

• 3 months later...

Click Save

Scott,

I did a search on "Convert 48 44.1" and found this thread; your instruction was exactly what I needed to know! :wink:

Thanks,

Another, helped by this thread :D

• 4 years later...
This is just what I was looking for.

Super helpful...Thanks!

One question - does converting the audio files (say from 44.1 to 48) have any detrimental effects on those audio files?

I would say always try to record, at the rate you plan to use; conversions are exactly that, converting always has it's inherent artifacts, but discerning them, would be something, only very trained ears would recognize, given a good conversion algorithm...

This is just what I was looking for.

Super helpful...Thanks!

One question - does converting the audio files (say from 44.1 to 48) have any detrimental effects on those audio files?

I would say always try to record, at the rate you plan to use; conversions are exactly that, converting always has it's inherent artifacts, but discerning them, would be something, only very trained ears would recognize, given a good conversion algorithm...

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I have a related - but different problem.

I just found that a large project I'm working on - recorded at 48k/24 bits - was copied into the Multi-track template set at 44.1k/24 bits, and is of course, playing back slow and a half step flat.

That's easy enough to fix but I've done a lot of work to automate the mix, effects, etc. And when I change the sample rate, all of that's way out of sync.

Is there a way to correct the sample rate and then bring the automation back in sync?

No.

If you change the sample rate of the project, each Region starts where it did before, but time-compresses slightly due to the now higher sample rate. Because of this the Automation would need to be time-compressed per Region, by a factor of 0,91875, to line up with the shifted audio inside the Region. There is no way to achieve that in Logic, unless there are no edits in any of the Regions and they all start at 1.1.1.1.

This is the time to take a deep breath and clean up the mess that you created. Happens to all of us every once in a while.

Edited by fuzzfilth

Thanks fuzzfilth.

This does explain why I kept finding the automation off after I'd correct the sample rate. And yes, given the details so far, it could be an ugly problem to solve. I don't know how this got past me when I transferred the files in the first place cause the warnings were going off repeatedly when I transferred them again this morning, I knew the originals were 48kHz, and had no intention of changing that.

But fortunately, this project and the remaining 12 songs in it can be finished at 44.1. It was, after all, supposed to be a learning experience. And I will not forget.