I'm dumb: saving channel strips referencing exs24 instrument

Robbie Sullivan

SO, I like to use channel strip settings rather than individual instrument patches as the basis of my preset library, but I have a serious problem recalling such channel strips that include my own exs24 patches.

My workflow is: I have a folder in my library called "copy" and build all my presets in projects saved in that folder, with "copy exs instruments..." "copy exs samples.." and "copy ultrabeat samples..." selected. Then I save the channel strip into the library, and all is well--at least for ultrabeat patches + synth patches. BUT when I try to open up a channel strip saved in this way in a new project it can never find the the ".exs" file--says exs instrument "instrument.exs" not found--works fine in the "copy" folder project of course.

What am I doing wrong?

Some illumination:

Having your samples and sample libraries organized is key in achieving a quick and seemingly effortless workflow.

If your collection of samples is a mess already and exceeds, say, 100 EXS Instruments, then I highly recommend Redmatica's EXSManager.

I haven't really imported a sample CD or sample pack in ages, as all hardware samplers have long left my studio, but the concepts are still the same.

You can import a variety of formats from EXS's options menu. The imported Sampler Instruments end up in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

The imported Samples end up in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/AKAI Samples, for instance, if it was an AKAI import.

Both destinations should be organized, or better still, empty before importing anything.

You can move SIs in and out of the SI folder in the Finder as you wish, I have a folder Unused Sampler Instruments next to it where I put the other stuff when dealing with this.

I have a dedicated Audio Library Disk where all my libraries are, and the AKAI Samples folder is not actually a folder, but an alias which points to a folder Imported Samples on that Audio Library drive, thus all imported AKAI samples end up on the correct drive (which is IMO NOT the system drive)

Once I've imported an AKAI CD, all SIs in SI folder come from that CD, as do all the samples in Imported Samples. Now it's easy to create a subfolder in each, named 'Skis's Assorted Empty Room Sounds' or whatever the name of the source CD is and then move all SIs / Samples into those subfolders.

By now, and this is the state of things when you copy existing SIs with their Samples from elsewhere, the file locations stored in the SIs are wrong, as they do not reflect the Samples' moving in the FInder.

But loading these SIs in EXS will look for those Samples, in the order :

- original SI reference

- ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/

- /Library/Application Support/Logic/

- elsewhere on all disks as referenced by Spotlight

Works pretty well for the occasional SI. If you have big (200+ samples) SIs, or lots of them, EXS Manager will speed this up tremendously.

You can move samples for single SIs from within the EXS Editor, but this is really only feasible for at most ten SIs at a time.

Christian

Which makes me think that the channel strip is using a local reference, and can't fall back on a search of the logic library because I'm hiding the files.