How do I hide sustain pedal in score [SOLVED]

adamjhoward

Couple of approaches:

• delete all sustain pedal info (in a copy of the region, if you're using that same region for playback)

• take advantage of a bug (if it still exists in 9.1.3): SMPTE-lock your regions. This used to cause all sustain pedal markings to disappear.

• score editor, Functions > Note Events > Sustain Pedal to Note Length

In the region, select all (CMD-A) and then use that function. This may change the sound of certain passages that relied on overlapping notes to create the sound, but still, this approach will approximate the sound of using the sustain pedal.

• 4 weeks later...
Couple of approaches:

• delete all sustain pedal info

• take advantage of a bug (if it still exists in 9.1.3): SMPTE-lock your regions.

Why not do this... -> see image below

(Special thanks to the Logic Score Editor Explained video - I would never have discovered it myself)

logic.pedal_off.png.280e0dd280836d72f3c34e648cc5bed3.png

Edited by furrytoes
  • Like 2

I must confess, though, that although it worked when I first used it, I have one project where setting the Default Pedal Position to 0 didn't remove the pedal symbols from the score.

I didn't experiment, unfortunately, as I was in a hurry and so I just put up with losing the pedals and modified the performance - although the performance has never been the same since... :(

Maybe there's something that can logically override this setting it or it's just a glitch.

Hmmm, not sure what the problem might be. I don't use that feature much but it's always worked.

Ski's tip of Functions>Note Events>Sustain Pedal to Note Length might be the next choice.

He also mentioned deleting them - the event list is great for this.

And as he also mentioned, I'd probably make a backup copy of the track as a safety before I did any of this in case you wanted to refer to the original performance sometime down the road.

Did I mention I generally hate following Ski's posts because he usually covers everything so well? :wink:

(Special thanks to the Logic Score Editor Explained video - I would never have discovered it myself)

Been working out of town and just getting caught up - a belated "you're welcome"

I've nearly watched all of the videos now.

I had to look up the word "lollygag" in a dictionary and there seems to be some cruelty to puppies ("Let's delete that puppy") going on - but I've really learned a lot.

Sorry about the overt animal cruelty - I really like puppies, honest!

And ain't lollygag a great word? And you actually used a dictionary? Impressive!

Glad you got some learnin' out of the series - I definitely learned a few things putting it together.

I must confess, though, that although it worked when I first used it, I have one project where setting the Default Pedal Position to 0 didn't remove the pedal symbols from the score.

I didn't experiment, unfortunately, as I was in a hurry and so I just put up with losing the pedals and modified the performance - although the performance has never been the same since... :(

Maybe there's something that can logically override this setting it or it's just a glitch.

If you're using Polyphonic Staves e.g. the default Piano1/3 you can remove the pedal symbols by selecting them and changing their midi channel to 2 (or one not used by the stave). The piece will still sound the same, you've just filtered the display in the score editor. Nothing else has been altered but, as I said, it only works if you're using polyphonic staves.

HTH,

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're using Polyphonic Staves e.g. the default Piano1/3 you can remove the pedal symbols by selecting them and changing their midi channel to 2 (or one not used by the stave). The piece will still sound the same

Nice. I usually use polyphonic staves so this sounds like a good tip as well. I'll have to go back and get all my pedal data now.

• 1 year later...

Looks like using the SMPTE lock bug has been fixed as my pedal marks stay when I lock a region.

As far as setting the default pedal position to 0 in the Global Format Page to hide the pedal symbols, from my experiments looks as though as soon as you manually change a symbol(s) you can no longer change those symbols with global format.

For me, wanting to keep the performance intact, the best way, as mentioned here, is to select all the pedal events and change to a midi channel not used by your stave.

• 7 years later...

How often does an answer from 9 years ago still apply. Thanks for this! Was knocking my head trying to figure out a way to get rid of those pedal marks on the score without losing the effect in the midi.

Couple of approaches:

• delete all sustain pedal info

• take advantage of a bug (if it still exists in 9.1.3): SMPTE-lock your regions.

Why not do this... -> see image below

• 6 months later...

If you're using Polyphonic Staves e.g. the default Piano1/3 you can remove the pedal symbols by selecting them and changing their midi channel to 2 (or one not used by the stave). The piece will still sound the same

Nice. I usually use polyphonic staves so this sounds like a good tip as well. I'll have to go back and get all my pedal data now.

This works great to hide the pedal symbols, but if I want to see them again to change some of them in the future, how do I accomplish that since they're hidden and I don't know what to click to change the midi channel back to where it was?