MIDI Issue -- Unwanted Program Changes

SA5H

Hi Guys,

When i import midi out of a pack, attach a sound from an AU instrument,

It keeps reverting back to a specific sound on the instrument,

Really trying to clean up the midi so it works with anything but that one sound, ??

Any suggestions,

:cry: :cry:

Checking for Program Change events (PC) opening each regions in the Event list takes time to my opinion.

I may offer a fast batch "Destructive" deletion or "Non-Destructive" temporary hiding/clutching the PCs.

1. Destructive delation.

Select all problem regions in the Arrange (in my scenario I hit Cmd+A cause all regions are imported from SMF) and create a Transform Window setting or Template shown in (Fig.1) below. Hit - "Select & Operate" button which will batch delete all PCs of the all regions in one step.

2. Non-Destructive delation - PC Clutching ON.

In this scenario/template (Fig.2) all PCs are transformed to "neutral" messages (Meta Event 0 ...)

3. Non-Destructive recalling - PC Clutching OFF.

In this scenario/template (Fig.3) all transformed/clutched PCs are transformed back to PC in case if you need them.

Another scenario of filtering is to create a Multi Instrument or Standard Instrument in the Environment (a Multi is automatically created or all Midi File regions are placed on its tracks when import any Midi File for example).

1. Add a new Transformer object and set it to "Filter Matching events" - Status -> Program. Cable the transformer from the Multi.

2. Create a new Channel Splitter object and cable it from the Transformer in the chain.

2. Cable the Channel Splitter pins to the Software Instruments you want (it does not matter if they are set to ch.All or any channels cause we use a Direct cabling in this scenario).

A.G

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/transf_pc_del.png

(Fig.1)

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/transf_pc_clutchon.png

(Fig.2)

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/transf_pc_clutchoff.png

(Fig.3)

Clutched?

I'm pretty sure you have got what I mean. Can you offer a better name - I'm serious cause English is not my native and I want to update the method I offer with a proper name like (Dummy transform, Hide/Show etc). What comes first in your mind?

I don't know what you mean. If I did I wouldn't have asked.

I don't understand what the purpose is of converting program change events to meta events. It seems like needless complication, resulting in events that serve no purpose.

The OP's situation is that the sounds he wants to use are changing, supposedly (he has to confirm) because of p.change events contained in the MIDI files. In that case I think it's easiest just to delete them permanently, don't you?

Edited by ski

In that case I think it's easiest just to delete them permanently, don't you?

Right - that was my FIRST (Fig.1) offer !

I don't understand what the purpose is of converting program change events to meta events.

If you follow me I announced that as a "Non-Destructive" workaround additional method. Let say I will need the original PCs in a later mixing stage to use these regions via some hardware devices etc. In this case I can always use the "Clutch OFF PC" template and convert the neutral PCs into original ones. OK ?

Jordito - what is your emotion - Pro or Amateur? If have any questions be welcome!

A.G

Bypass would be nice, no?

Thanks for the alternative name! I still prefer "Clutch" as an Author of the Transformer templates and there is nothing relative between "Groups" etc.

BTW. There was no sense to overload the topic with usefulness comments - new ideas are welcome !

A.G

Jordito - what is your emotion - Pro or Amateur? If have any questions be welcome!

I prefer amateurs....with pro's it's usually too obvious they're just faking it.

:roll:

I agree with ski, your proposal is probably more than what the OP needs/wants.

Not everybody is into fooling around in the transform window, you know?

Somehow I suspect the OP is one of them.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

Somehow I suspect the OP is one of them.

If so, he can get the first "Direct Deletion Template" (Fig.1) which is well shown on the picture. The additional "Templates" of temporary hiding/showing, clutching etc are for users like you who must learn the Transform Power features in depth to "Going Pro" according to some related labels... Meanwhile the additional templates are well shown in Fig2 &3, so do not try to foolish the novices please !

A.G

If so, he can get the first "Direct Deletion Template" (Fig.1) which is well shown on the picture. The additional "Templates" of temporary hiding/showing, clutching etc are for users like you who must learn the Transform Power features in depth to "Going Pro" according to some related labels... Meanwhile the additional templates are well shown in Fig2 &3, so do not try to foolish the novices please !

I know my way around the transform window pretty well and use it when I need to, thank you.

Again, what I'm saying is that not everybody wants to mess with the transform or the environment...even with your nice, step by step guides at their disposal.

J.

what I'm saying is that not everybody wants to mess with the transform or the environment...

I'm sorry? These two editors are the Logic power ! Each editor of the App, is important - if you think that these two scare the novices, just ask Apple to remove them ! And it is not so good to reply of the name of the others !

Regarding my Templates - they are well shown on the pictures and everyone can re-create them and use as the Factory ones - no special knowledge is required here - OK !

Regarding the "Clutch" presets - they are an example of clutching/temporary bypassing some midi events which affect the Logic Channel Strip. You can modify the presets to "Clutch" say CC7(level), CC10(Pan) etc, which will keep the original messages (as a backup) and you can use them any time you need again - in case you need to export some SMF, play the Midi regions via hardware equipment, other DAWs which support such messages etc for example. As I announced these two Transform presets behaves as non-destructive ones.

Once more time - no recommendations regarding the App Editors, Functions etc. Each one has its purpose and the user must decide which workaround to get. The faster and the direct methods are recommended here, as well as non-destructive ones so you can revert to the original any time !

A.G

No one said anything about "novices" except you, Scandor. What Jordito is suggesting is that not everyone wants to deal with Transforms (or the environment), especially when it comes to something simple like deleting program changes.

For deleting numerous p.change events in one operation I think your first example was the best and most helpful. The other two examples are confusing and highly complicated, not just because of your descriptions ("clutch") but the programming of them is difficult to understand. Here we have someone who doesn't know about p.change events, yet you're introducing them to Meta Events?!? And in this case, "dummy" Meta Events?? Also implicit in your Transformer setup is an understanding that p.change events have only one data byte. Unless you really know MIDI, that's not obvious. So again, it's very clever, but not easy to understand. This doesn't make it bad, it's just very complicated.

Now, don't get me wrong, your trick is very clever and I can see it as being very useful! But it's still going to be difficult for beginners to understand, especially the second part: why is it necessary to link data byte 1 and 2? I tried this with no link (straight lines) and got the expected result (see screenshot).

transf_pc_clutchoff.thumb.png.fef45509b2d0328d336d1e846945398b.png

Now, don't get me wrong, your trick is very clever and I can see it as being very useful! But it's still going to be difficult for beginners to understand,

I do not get you wrong at all. I gave the Direct example (Fig.1) how to Delete in one step unwanted events but this is not my style - just technical info according to my skills and the OP question...

My MAIN IDEA of showing the additional "Non-destructive" methods was to show how to Temporary block "Unwanted" data and to keep it as backup! The unwanted Midi Data is FAQ and it was a good idea to share that tip.

Fig.2&3 method is just new non-destructive method which requires two custom Transform Templates. Please try to understand - it is similar to the most of the factory Transform Templates (the people do not try to understand the settings), they just use them ! Following the picture (diagonal lines or Meta Status is not difficult at all when they are shown in the picture) that's why I decided not to add song attachment of the templates (this may injure the people I guess).

A.G

Following the picture (diagonal lines or Meta Status is not difficult at all when they are shown in the picture) that's why I decided not to add song attachment of the templates (this may injure the people I guess).

I figure that if the diagonal lines were difficult for me to figure out, they're going to be difficult for someone who isn't familiar with Transforms to figure it out.

I do not get you wrong at all. I gave the Direct example (Fig.1) how to Delete in one step unwanted events but this is not my style - just technical info according to my skills and the OP question...

The OP wanted to know why the sounds were changing, not how to program the Space Shuttle! (And just so that there's no misunderstanding, that was a joke).

:lol:

The OP wanted to know why the sounds were changing, not how to program the Space Shuttle!

Heh, who says that - Peter Ski ? If you do a search you will find much more crazy workarounds here than mines - does not matter what is the OP source question. Anyway the best is = Direct Answer + A Few Workarounds which will be sooooo useful for the third party visitors at least... :D

Opps, 6 o'clock in the morning ( I must merge the Night with Day obviously... - where is the merge tool... ) :?

• 1 year later...
I have created a transform window.( I Think) it worked to remove all the controls from the imported midi file. The problem is when I open the original midi file the transform drop down menu does not have the created choice " Program Delete" How do I get it in there so it shows as a choice for every new project?Transform.jpg.697b4dc26f9f22b0bb3ef4e86aa0eda9.jpg