(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

Atlas007/Matrix:

Here some features that Studio One has that logic doesn't.

---Ability to Drag Effects onto a folder and then audition on the fly, and change/add effects without printing (that feature alone lured me to studio one)

---Melodyne Integration, not being able to insatiate a melodyne plugin but the ability to use it right on a region and edit the pitch or timing. Logic tools are nowhere near as powerful as melodyne. I use this all the time. I'm sure the next version of logic will implement it, or apple is on drugs.

---Also the ability to have EVENT FX or in logic world REGION FX. LOGIC ONLY HAS TRACK BASED FX.

---Cross platform support

---Everything is drag and drop (i'm alot faster in studio one then logic even with key commands)

---The ability to master in the program, and not basic mastering adds so much value

---Easier to setup multi-output instruments

---Ability to assign folder tracks to a group and have it create the auxes/buses in a single click

---Layers that are similar to playlists in Protools

---Automation is sick. You can only curve the automation in logic but here you can draw any type of line for the automation

---Macros (Apple should implement this ASAP, especially with automator, etc). Macros make studio one extremely powerful

---Online integration to get access to sounds, presets, macros, etc through studio one website

Studio One is not perfect but for a DAW people said wouldn't be able to compete. It has bypassed the competition. Just look at the reviews on the web (do your research). It has become the next logic. Theres some missing features but the team has a high release cycle at presonus.

I will say that i still use logic about 30% of the time

Atlas007/Matrix:

Here some features that Studio One has that logic doesn't.

---Ability to Drag Effects onto a folder and then audition on the fly, and change/add effects without printing (that feature alone lured me to studio one)

---Melodyne Integration, not being able to insatiate a melodyne plugin but the ability to use it right on a region and edit the pitch or timing. Logic tools are nowhere near as powerful as melodyne. I use this all the time. I'm sure the next version of logic will implement it, or apple is on drugs.

---Also the ability to have EVENT FX or in logic world REGION FX. LOGIC ONLY HAS TRACK BASED FX.

---Cross platform support

---Everything is drag and drop (i'm alot faster in studio one then logic even with key commands)

---The ability to master in the program, and not basic mastering adds so much value

---Easier to setup multi-output instruments

---Ability to assign folder tracks to a group and have it create the auxes/buses in a single click

---Layers that are similar to playlists in Protools

---Automation is sick. You can only curve the automation in logic but here you can draw any type of line for the automation

---Macros (Apple should implement this ASAP, especially with automator, etc). Macros make studio one extremely powerful

---Online integration to get access to sounds, presets, macros, etc through studio one website

Studio One is not perfect but for a DAW people said wouldn't be able to compete. It has bypassed the competition. Just look at the reviews on the web (do your research). It has become the next logic. Theres some missing features but the team has a high release cycle at presonus.

I will say that i still use logic about 30% of the time

impressive stuff. let's not pretend that Logic is the 'be-all, end-all"...just that we like it, and/or are used to it. i DO like it, but i would like to see improvements (the above list is a good place to start)...AND letting us organize our AU's....

Logic 9 still has many features that makes it a solid competitor in my opinion, and Studio One (Pro) is more than twice the price of Logic Pro 9.

I'll be waiting patiently though, I really hope the new Logic will be groundbreaking and worth the wait... I'd love to see something similar to Cubase's VST Expression 2

I wonder if any DAW has something similar to Logic's Environment. That would be one of the factors that would decide where I go, if I ever need to switch.

The closest there is (well, it actually exceeds the environment's capabilities) is Ableton Live thanks to Max for Live. Still, the environment has its own thing going. Hopefully they enhance it (and let's pray they don't get rid of it) in the next version of Logic.

J.

to answer the question above. Studio one can't set a key signature which is weird to me. It doesn't have a score editor. It doesn't have great midi editing like logic, except for basic midi editing stuff. Again, it's only 2.5 versions so we can't compare it to Logic which has 9 generations with it.

People say that it sounds better than protools and logic because the audio engine 64bit capability. Same thing with being able to record in 32-bit floating point. Logic is still impressive. It just needs a little bit of tweaking to make it ahead of the pack.

I wonder if any DAW has something similar to Logic's Environment. That would be one of the factors that would decide where I go, if I ever need to switch.

The closest there is (well, it actually exceeds the environment's capabilities) is Ableton Live thanks to Max for Live. Still, the environment has its own thing going. Hopefully they enhance it (and let's pray they don't get rid of it) in the next version of Logic.

J.

Ah! Max. But then Ableton's interface, good as it is, still isn't really suited to my kind of music. When you stop complaining about Logic X you realize that Logic 9 is a very unique DAW.

I would say a COMPLETE. DAW vs unique. I think if apple totally dropped support, the daw would be good for 20 years or more because it does what you need it todo for the most part. I think there isn't alot more you can add to daws honestly. The main job recording midi and audio they all do, and the ability to edit midi and audio data. It's like photoshop. What more can you really do before it becomes a Swiss Army knife.

People say that it sounds better than protools and logic because the audio engine 64bit capability. Same thing with being able to record in 32-bit floating point. Logic is still impressive. It just needs a little bit of tweaking to make it ahead of the pack.

Studio One looks pretty cool, but I'm convinced that, for the most part, they're just using the 64-bit thing as a marketing ploy for the uneducated.

Remember the Super Nintendo and Genesis vs. the original NES? People just "knew" 16 bits were "better" than 8 without having any clue about CPU architecture, what bits are, or what the number of bits meant in that context. Then the other manufacturers followed suit because it's easier to take advantage of ignorance than to try to educate people.

(To continue the digression... Neo-Geo had two CPUs if I recall, an 8-bit Z80 and maybe a Motorola 16-bit processor... So they just added up the numbers and called it "24-bit," pandering to uninformed people who thought they understood something they really didn't. Sometimes I've heard people say stunningly ignorant things like "Oh yeah, the graphics on that game look like about 11-bit quality, maybe 12.")

8)

A lot of people conflate 32 vs. 64 bit memory addressing with a 32 vs. 64 bit mix bus, as well. In those cases people are entirely deluding themselves when they think, say, Logic sounds better in 64-bit mode. (It's still the same 32-bit floating point mix bus despite the application accessing RAM using 64-bit addressing...)

Even so, I seriously doubt that there are any normal mixing situations (i.e. not using beyond-ridiculous gain staging with 1,000,000,000 dB amplitude shifts) where the difference between a 32-bit floating point mix bus and a 64-bit bus would be audible in a double-blind test to any human being on any existing sound playback environment.

I could believe it might make a difference in processing for some types of effects, but not in the mix bus. Even in those situations, I think the much more important and audible issue during effect processing is better anti-aliasing, not DR/bit depth.

:mrgreen:

Studio One looks pretty cool, but I'm convinced that, for the most part, they're just using the 64-bit thing as a marketing ploy for the uneducated.

Remember the Super Nintendo and Genesis vs. the original NES? People just "knew" 16 bits were "better" than 8 without having any clue about CPU architecture, what bits are, or what the number of bits meant in that context. Then the other manufacturers followed suit because it's easier to take advantage of ignorance than to try to educate people.

(To continue the digression... Neo-Geo had two CPUs if I recall, an 8-bit Z80 and maybe a Motorola 16-bit processor... So they just added up the numbers and called it "24-bit," pandering to uninformed people who thought they understood something they really didn't. Sometimes I've heard people say stunningly ignorant things like "Oh yeah, the graphics on that game look like about 11-bit quality, maybe 12.")

8)

A lot of people conflate 32 vs. 64 bit memory addressing with a 32 vs. 64 bit mix bus, as well. In those cases people are entirely deluding themselves when they think, say, Logic sounds better in 64-bit mode. (It's still the same 32-bit floating point mix bus despite the application accessing RAM using 64-bit addressing...)

Even so, I seriously doubt that there are any normal mixing situations (i.e. not using beyond-ridiculous gain staging with 1,000,000,000 dB amplitude shifts) where the difference between a 32-bit floating point mix bus and a 64-bit bus would be audible in a double-blind test to any human being on any existing sound playback environment.

I could believe it might make a difference in processing for some types of effects, but not in the mix bus. Even in those situations, I think the much more important and audible issue during effect processing is better anti-aliasing, not DR/bit depth.

:mrgreen:

Word.

If I may be so bold, sir.

8)

to get back to the initial Logic Pro X Rumours Thread:

I do agree with many of you that not releasing a new version of a software doesn't necessarily mean the developers are sleeping.

BUT, I must say that Logic's update intervals are by far the slowest on the market. Compared to Cubase or any other DAW out there.

It does show Apple's low priority for ProApps and Pro users in my opinion. Many people are waiting for new features all the time, while I would be uber-happy if we get an update every year with FIXES... 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 ... how awesome would THAT be !!!

I started to work with Logic Platinum 5.2.0 on a crappy Windows computer in 2003. And I did so untill April 2012. I must be one of the last of the mohicans at that time :mrgreen: Reason? Never had the money for big computer / music investments or time to learn how everything works (like the operating system of a Mac or professional plug-ins and gear).

Through the years I updated my PC so it became a rock solid computer. I tweaked Windows for music making but the more skills I gained, the more I demanded. And that was something Logic couldn't deliver anymore. It resulted in a lot of frustration. Unfortunately, it took a while before I had the money, but a year ago I made my investment and it was one of the best things I've done in years. I bought an iMac, Apogee duet 2 sound device, Logic Pro 9, plug-ins (like UAD) ... you name it. And the beauty of it is, I use it only for music production and mixing. I still have my PC for all the other stuff. It works great this way.

Of course, it took me also a few months to learn everything. I missed all updates from 5 till 9. So for me Logic Pro 9 was just heaven on earth. :roll: Maybe that's the reason I don't need an update immediately. When comparing it with other DAW's (in my case: Fruityloops, Pro Tools, Ableton, Cubase), I'll stick with Logic as long as I can. Never used the others for a long time. Logic was and is my number 1. 8)

Conclusion: Windows sucks for music making :twisted: it was stupid from me to use all those years an outdated program :( I've learned more in the last year than a decade before :shock: my knowledge about music making in general has evolved to an almost professional level :D and last but not least, I thank logicprohelp.com for helping all the people who need help with Logic :wink:

Don't know if this was a useful participation to this thread, but it shows there is at least one grateful human beeing alive. :mrgreen:

Shouldn't there be a 'since...' after that?

I really wanted to add one!! Ok how 'bout:

Logic Pro Help: Helping Logic Pro Users finding Help for Logic Pro since 1904 (I may have exaggerated the date a bit)

1904?? well if it's on the internet, it must be true... :shock:

I agree with David. This is about Logic.

So back to logic. I hope apple hasn't abandoned Logic Users. I mean They talked about all applications EXCEPT LOGIC when the retina macbook was released.

Logic seems to be that annoying fly that you wish would go away. I'm not sure apple has it's full resources devoted to Logic. If so, we would of seen a release by now. I guess it got moved to the Apple TV status (**HOBBY PROJECT BUT WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS).

Clearly Logic is not selling new Macs. People by new macs because of the OS, Final Cut Pro X, maybe iLIfe, Aperture, Logic not so much. So being honest I'm sure Apple is not giving it's all to Logic. They don't have a team like AVID, Presonus, Cakewalk, Steinberg, just some random developers that work in the logic/garageband team.

One other comment. I just seen a video from the developers conference from the lead engineer on the Garageband/Logic Team. I think it's safe to say its in that order. ios/osx so ios and then osx.

If they do come out with an update this year, i'm sure it will be just OK, nothing earth shattering. Maybe the photocopiers are out to take Protools 11 features etc., dunno. Clearly ios 7 was photocopied. Funny how we used to say redmond take out your photocopiers, and now it's the opposite way around.

Sorry for ranting, but Apple has let us down! :cry:

hmmm....sorry didn't make myself clear. I was just saying he was the head of the Garageband/Logic group. The first part (Garageband) is where apple has clearly been focused on. They were taking about all the great stuff ios7 can do with interapp audio. So that was my point overall....nothing about logic. Just that Apple is clearly focused on ios and very little on OSX(mainly where Logic is concerned)

If they do come out with an update this year, i'm sure it will be just OK, nothing earth shattering. Maybe the photocopiers are out to take Protools 11 features etc., dunno. Clearly ios 7 was photocopied. Funny how we used to say redmond take out your photocopiers, and now it's the opposite way around.

Sorry for ranting, but Apple has let us down! :cry:

Mmm, seeing the PT11 main new features, i'd say it's Avid who used the Xerox machine on LP9.1. Do you feel Apple has let you down on the feature set of LP9 or because it's taking a long time for LPX to show up :?:

Blink

blinkofani, the feature set of LP 9.1 is amazing. Yes maybe avid did there photocopying with finally being able to implement "offline bounce" lol....should this even be called a feature. all daws except protools did this. Almost five years and no LPX so that's the let down. I mean every DAW has had several revisions in that time frame. so what is apple possibly doing?