Connecting two audio objects via cable

cquencer

Hi all,

Simple question:

Connect two audio objects via cable, and CC data will get passed on from one to the other (volume, pan, etc).

But Fader Messages will not (plugin parameter changes). At least not succesfully.

Does anyone have an idea why this is?

Cheers,

Dennis.

Yes they do, but fader messages have a channel assignment based on what insert slot they are in. If you have the plug-ins in the same slot on both channels you'll see it works. Note that with instrument channel strips, the instrument input slot is the first insert, which offsets the numbering.

You can use a transformer object to rechannelize fader messages too.

Fader8,

Thanks, but still no go for me. I've attached a screenshot.

I got two objects connected, with a monitor on object 2.

Channel EQ's inserted on both objects. Whatever I change

in the first plugin, does not reflect in the second.

It's either me overlooking something amazingly simple,

or Logic Pro not doing something I was hoping it could...

Update: when drawing automation, this works i.e.

the Channel EQ on object 2 follows the one on object 1.

Cheers

automation.thumb.jpg.aa10ba2be1deadf9a86fa9bb1fca6098.jpg

It won't work on that version. You can put a fader object before the channel strips you have linked and set its output to the value of the parameter you wish to control. Its kind of a pain for what it's worth.

Also, I think this is on the lines of a bug because of some other odd behavior that happens. I'm too lazy to elaborate atm.

Shiver,

Thanks, I'll try that. I've tried to convert fader messages to control data and back with faders like crazy but to no avail. I've been trying out this stuff for days and days now - my ultimate goal would be to control 2 or 3 instances of say ES2 by working just one instance.

Another frustrating thing is that I cannot record automation on track 2 that gets passed from track one. Damn shame.

Cheers!

Shiver,

Thanks, I'll try that. I've tried to convert fader messages to control data and back with faders like crazy but to no avail. I've been trying out this stuff for days and days now - my ultimate goal would be to control 2 or 3 instances of say ES2 by working just one instance.

Another frustrating thing is that I cannot record automation on track 2 that gets passed from track one. Damn shame.

Cheers!

Don't give up.

My mind is recovering from weeks of sleep deprivation and not fully functional (like it has ever been fully functional). I can tell you that what you want to do has been done and isn't all that difficult to do.

As Fader8 said, keep the like FX on the same insert slot.

You can set up fader objects control the cabled FX and you can make a separate transformer to change the output values of those faders. You can make it so that you can connect/disconnect the cables with a switcher. Many things are possible.

I am not sure what you are doing with the automation, but the output of each channel strip should go to the sequencer input object. I suppose you want your automation to be track based?

Also, I think this is on the lines of a bug because of some other odd behavior that happens.

I hope you're right, shiv. Hate to think some of this basic environment functionality is starting to disappear in newer versions. Fingers crossed....

Yes that cable thing has been gone for a while with the newer upgrades. I don't use it, so I don't miss it.

The thing that makes me think it is a partial bug is how the FX puts out its standard value and its interaction with a fader object. Long story short, the values getting passed have a combination of control and fader values

For example:

The output of a Chorus insert feeds into a fader object. The fader object input is set to:

Output: Fader

Channel: 2

-1-: 0

Input:Control

Channel: 1

-1-: 7

The chorus mix slider will control the fader object. Why would an output of the Chorus effect control the fader?

Next, I switch the output of the fader object to a value of -1-: 2. Now the Rate parameter controls the fader.

To boot, the volume fader of channel strip 1 will control the Fader boject, which in turn will control the Chorus parameter of channel strip 2.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/marie01_08/Funny%20and%20Comments/AnimatedConfusedStupidSmiley.gif

This can get mind boggling.

1st off, the value you have shown is for a Chorus insert and not EQ.

To find out the value of a parameter, connect up a monitor object to the output of the channel strip in the environment and move the parameter to see the value.

Next, I would recommend to NEVER use 'write' because it will erase everything on the next pass (like a tornado levels everything in its path).

Now, in this case, when in record mode, the fader object will have the automation recorded although not quite visible on the tracks. Also, you won't need to have the sequencer connected. Converting region automation of the selected to track automation will reveal what you have recorded.

The fact that you have cabled your channel strip will let the one instance of automation control both tracks.