D Nahmani book: Play from Selection not working? [SOLVED]

pilby

Hi, Mr. Nahmani, I have a question about your book.

On page 52, it says Shift-Enter was supposed to "Play from Selection", but it's not working; it instead plays back from the beginning of the Cycle Locator. The "Play from Selection" button at the Transport bar works correctly though as you described "Shift-Enter" should have worked.

So what I did was go to Logic Express > Preferences > Key Commands ... Then when the popup came up, I expanded the Global Commands tree node and looked for the key assigned to "Play from Selection". I see that it says Shift followed by a symbol i do not understand. It looks like a circumflex (^) under an underscore. Can you please tell me what key that represents, please?

I know I can always use the "Play from Selection" button from the transport bar, but it would be nice to know the keyboard shortcut. Thanks.

On page 52, it says Shift-Enter was supposed to "Play from Selection", but it's not working; it instead plays back from the beginning of the Cycle Locator.

That's odd. It should definitely work as explained in the book. There is a key command called "Play from Left Locator". But if you followed all the instructions in the book, that one should NOT be assigned to anything.

So what I did was go to Logic Express > Preferences > Key Commands ... Then when the popup came up, I expanded the Global Commands tree node and looked for the key assigned to "Play from Selection". I see that it says Shift followed by a symbol i do not understand. It looks like a circumflex (^) under an underscore. Can you please tell me what key that represents, please?

That means "Enter", hence the "Shift-Enter" key command. For help deciphering those symbols, see:

Decipher Logic's mysterious key command symbols

Things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure you followed all the instructions in the Getting Started section of the book, including how to choose the "U.S." preset of key commands.

2) Make sure you're pressing Enter, and not Return (despite what many people believe, they are two different keys, doing different things).

3) Make sure the desired area has key focus.

Other than that, I'm not sure how you could have that key command misbehaving as you're describing.

Let us know!

I think I see the problem. You should know that the last Apple product I owned was an Apple IIe, so that was back in the 80s. This brand new Apple iMac I bought has BOTH the enter and return key as the SAME key, except "enter" is in small letters at the top portion of the key. After a little experimentation, I learned that I had to press the Fn key to make my Return key function as an Enter key. So in order to effect a Shift-Enter, I actually have to do a Shift-Fn-Return, and then it worked as you explained in the book.

Although it is nice that the keyboard for my iMac is so small (because they did away with the numeric keypad section typical of most computer keyboards), this is one of those times when it poses a minor inconvenience.

Thanks for giving me that link about the symbols used by Apple, that helps.

This brand new Apple iMac I bought has BOTH the enter and return key as the SAME key, except "enter" is in small letters at the top portion of the key. After a little experimentation, I learned that I had to press the Fn key to make my Return key function as an Enter key. So in order to effect a Shift-Enter, I actually have to do a Shift-Fn-Return, and then it worked as you explained in the book.

You are 100% correct. The new, smaller keyboards without a numerical keypad, such as the ones used on MacBooks, iMacs, and wireless keyboards, are as you describe. The small fonts indicates functions that require the "fn" key to be depressed in order to be accessed. On some keyboards, there are more such small font functions (my MacBook's "P" has a little "*" next to the P, meaning if I hold fn-P I get the *). On others, the only function that works this way is "Enter".

So in any case, glad to hear you've finally resolved your own problem.

Any other question regarding my book, ask in this forum! Meanwhile, enjoy the book.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem. I'm new to Logic so i haven't edited the key commands and i'm using your Logic 9 training book to help me get started learning Logic X. It's saying that the "shift + enter" command is "play from the left window edge". The command for "play from selection" is just as the other person described above.....except i think it looks more like shift and a symbol that looks like ".."

Can't figure it out for the life of me....and i have a full keyboard number pad and all....

I know i'm not hitting "shift + return" bc thats the command for "rename track" and i've checked several times to make sure i'm using the U.S. key commands.

• 4 years later...
I see. No problem. :)

I have a problem here which I hope someone could help me... The shift-spacebar command (play from selection) only works here at main window (logic last version)... It doesn't work at mixer window (after a channel strip is selected)... Anybody knows if it's possible for this command work at mixer window? Best to all...

It also works when the Mixer window is the only one showing here. Maybe it's just a glitch? Can you try again in a new empty project (after creating at least one region) to check? 

I've tried another sessions... keeps the same to me... I use two displays... One at main window and another with mixer window... 

When I'm at mixer window (after any channel strip selected) thins functions doesn't work... (play from selection or shift + spacebar)... Getting crazy about that...