Export/Bounce Multiple Regions

cjserio

I hope this is a stupid question but we'll see...

Let's say that I have a single mono audio track. I record myself saying "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9". Then i stop recording, i do a strip silence and i now have 10 regions. Now i use the text tool and name each region "0", "1", "2" etc. accordingly.

What I want to do now is select all of those regions and bounce or export them to disk. I want 10 distinct wave files.

How do I do this? I see a way to do this for one region but not multiple.

Before you ask, this is a really simple boiled down version of what I actually have to do. In this example i have 10 regions but i'll really have hundreds of recorded phrases which is why i need a shortcut.

Thanks!

Oh my god this is becoming a nightmare for such a seemingly simple task. This production is just going to keep growing. I'm going to need hundreds of these in the near future. I don't want to have a track for each 1 second clip.

I did find that in the Audio Bin i can select the regions and save as a new audio file which is PERFECT except that it doesn't seem to apply any effects. If it did, i'd be done.

Well i've gotten closer. I can record all similar phrases on one track, split by silence to create regions and then select those regions in the Audio Bin and push them to their own tracks. Then i can bounce all tracks.

Anyone able to come up with something even more streamlined?

Well i've gotten closer. I can record all similar phrases on one track, split by silence to create regions and then select those regions in the Audio Bin and push them to their own tracks. Then i can bounce all tracks.

That sounds pretty streamlined already. BTW, how are you "pushing" the regions to the arrange?

This is what I would do:

After strip silence, select all those files on the Arrange track.

This will cause all the same regions to be selected in the Bin.

Open the Bin and Control-click any of the selected files for the pop-up menu.

Choose Add to Arrange > New tracks.

Now you can put effects on the master out and apply them to all those tracks before exporting them.

That sounds pretty streamlined already. BTW, how are you "pushing" the regions to the arrange?

This is what I would do:

After strip silence, select all those files on the Arrange track.

This will cause all the same regions to be selected in the Bin.

Open the Bin and Control-click any of the selected files for the pop-up menu.

Choose Add to Arrange > New tracks.

Now you can put effects on the master out and apply them to all those tracks before exporting them.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing. Not as easy as I had expected but still plenty usable since I hopefully only have to do this export a handful of times.

Thanks everyone.

What's wrong with recording all onto one track then export the take folder to new tracks, like I suggested previously?

I have to use strip silence to trim my phrases as short as possible. I can't edit each one by hand. And their lengths are all different so I think that would require me to manually start/stop each recording so as to not waste time for the next take to begin.

I know exactly what you are talking about...I have worked on recording and editing dialog for several video games, and you need to record lots of audio, chop it, trim it, effect it, NAME it very specifically, and at the end...: export all those hundreds of files into a folder. You then need to listen to them before uploading to the client. The client then takes all those files and according to the naming scheme, drops them into the appropriate 'slots' in the game so that the VO reacts to game play.

Logic cannot do this easily or in any practical, fast way... :oops: :evil:

This is the ONLY reason why I still have to use pro tools (purposely lower-case).

pt does this exceptionally well...

If Logic would have this function integrated, I could permanently toss any Avid anything from my computer. :P

Sorry that this doesn't help much...but if you do find a way to do this that isn't extraordinarily painful, you'll have my permanent respect...

You hit the nail on the head exactly. I did what I needed in literally 10 minutes in Audacity. I'm embarrassed to admit it with the fancy software I have that I did the job with a free app but sadly it was designed for this purpose...Logic clearly was not.

I guess a top of the line socket set still isn't very good at hammering in nails. :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Attention Logic Staff/Developers/Managers/Etc...

I've been checking the forums every time you make a new version since 7.0! When will you add this simple feature? So many other recording softwares make this easy. Why continue to make a large group of sound professionals and composers use other recording software? It's frustrating! :|

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about this very feature! While I'd love to try Logic Pro X sometime, I've been using Reaper for several years now and the region support is, perhaps, my favourite feature (it certainly isn't the clunky UI or difficult controls). Automated rendering to multiple files includes custom template-based file naming, user presets, etc. It's been a lifesaver on a number of projects, from segmented voice overs for multilingual videos to sound effects in interactive Kinect experiences!

Does Logic still not have anything comparable?

Sadly, it is my humble opinion that Logic's features and more advanced functions updates are woefully neglected...

There are literally hundreds (thousands) of deeply insightful requests that thousands of composers and audio guys have made

in the last 4 years, and honestly, very little has happened. This is an across the board issue with Apple and their software development

(again, IMO only). I hope that someone at Apple is listening...unless all they care about anymore is iPods, iPads and iPhones...

The pros will go elsewhere, and that ain't good...