Change order of auxsend on channel strip

Dubcreator

I can't seem to figure out how to change the order of the aux sends on a channel strip.

Let's say i have 8 aux sends on a channelstrip and the top one is bus 8 and bottom bus 3. Now i only want to move the top one to the bottom. Is that even possible. The manual doesn't mention anything about it.

I can't seem to figure out how to change the order of the aux sends on a channel strip.

Let's say i have 8 aux sends on a channelstrip and the top one is bus 8 and bottom bus 3. Now i only want to move the top one to the bottom. Is that even possible. The manual doesn't mention anything about it.

You change the order by re-assigning the bus. It's that simple.

Yeah sure that's simple, but then you'll loose the setting. I want to keep the setting and change order.

Also want to know if that's possible with inserts, change order of the inserts

You change the order by re-assigning the bus. It's that simple.

• 1 year later...

I would like to know if Logic X has this capability also. (similar to the command click and drag for plug-in order)

The reason being, obviously, the different sound you'd get with different order of sends (unless the order of sends has no effect on sound.) And also because setting up the level and amount if you've got quite a lot of sends is a pain in the arse.

Is this just non-existent? Also, does the aux send order (in the channel strip) not effect or not change the sound depending on which aux send happens first, second, third, etc?

Thanks,

KD

Eric, thanks for the fast reply...

Well then the order, obviously, wouldn't matter if it doesn't effect sound. But just to be ridiculously clear for my own sanity.

And since, I thought I perceived a difference with this scenario from yesterday.

Send 1 (in channel strip order) was reverb.

Send 2 was compression.

Then I changed it to be the reverse.

Now, I would never think the order of aux sends in the mixer or the labeling (ia aux 1, 2, 3 etc.) mattered (because that wouldn't effect the order the sound is processed in.)

But in the Channel Strip Aux send area specifically... It doesn't matter what order the sends go in? So, they're not processed in linear order (ie a send and return? to that same position, but rather as a sum in the mixer? Or some other manner?)

Just trying to get a better handle on why that would be the case, as it might effect how I arrange things in the future. :D

Thanks for the advice and the help.

cheers,

KD

Well, Eric said it very plainly. The order of sends has absolutely no effect on the sound because the signals go out from the sends in parallel. (Inserts, on the other hand, have a serial signal flow, top to bottom, so the order of inserted effects will definitely have an effect on the signal, like whether you put EQ before or after a compressor, for instance.)

The one thing to be aware of when you are re-ordering your sends, is to make sure that the send levels are preserved the way they were before re-ordering. So in a situation where send 2 was at level minus 2 and send 8 was at level minus 8, if all you did was swap the send assignment between the two of them but not their corresponding send levels, then the sound would be different simply because your levels per send would be different. Send 2 would now be at minus 8 and send 8 would be at minus 2.

Now, if you have automation on any of those sends, then you're in for a headache if you want to switch the order of the sends. Automation is attached to the send level, not the aux it sends to. So if you had specific automation sending to a reverb and then switch the send to the bus going to the delay, that same automation is going to point to the delay now.To keep the automation going to the right effect, you'd have to copy over the automation from one send to another. Like I said, a bit of a headache.

But in the Channel Strip Aux send area specifically... It doesn't matter what order the sends go in?

No, it does not matter.

So, they're not processed in linear order (ie a send and return? to that same position, but rather as a sum in the mixer? Or some other manner?)

No, the sends are parallel to each other and to the main signal on the channel strip. The signal does not return to the channel strip that sends it. It just goes from the channel strip to another channel strip: you're just sending the signal somewhere, that's all. You're not bringing the signal back. Now usually you send the signal to an Aux channel strip, which in turn routes that signal to the Output channel strip.

This may help you better understand the signal flow in the Logic mixer: Track & Audio Channelstrip Flow

To copy and paste send levels:

1) Double-click the origin send level knob:

send-level.png.a98a0347b270b17bb2cd58d9a9569a7a.png

2) Command-C.

3) Double-click the destination send level knob.

4) Command-V.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I'd just like to contribute a reason why one might wish to re-oder the aux sends.

I use one of my Aux sends as a foldback/monitor mix. It tends to be the first one I set up for a session, only adding in reverb etc as I go along and as I work out which effects I'd like to use. It'd be great if there was a way to move the foldback/monitor send to the bottom of the list of Sends on the channel strip, so that's it's separate from the others and, more importantly, so that the fader for that send is the furthest to the right on the mixer itself. As things stand, my effects channel strips tend to end up being to right of my effects channel strips which I find a bit annoying.

If there were a way either to re-order the channels themselves, or the send (which would presumably have the same effect) I'd fine that useful.

The work around is of course to set up four or five unused sends at the beginning of each project, and then set up the aux send for the foldback.

It'd be great if there was a way to move the foldback/monitor send to the bottom of the list of Sends on the channel strip, so that's it's separate from the others and, more importantly, so that the fader for that send is the furthest to the right on the mixer itself.

This phenomena is totally unrelated to the send order.

You can arrange the channel strips exactly like you want if you add tracks for them.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
I have this question too. It's not helpful when someone asks "how do I..." and gets responses like, "why would you ever even want to do that?" I would like to re-order the sends on my channel strip because I like all of my delays next to each other, all of my reverbs next to each other, etc.... not that it matters to the original inquiry, "how can I re-order the sends on a channel?" With AudioFX, you simply click and drag them to re-order. I was hoping you could do that with the Sends as well. Apparently the answer is "no."

I have this question too. It's not helpful when someone asks "how do I..." and gets responses like, "why would you ever even want to do that?" I would like to re-order the sends on my channel strip because I like all of my delays next to each other, all of my reverbs next to each other, etc.... not that it matters to the original inquiry, "how can I re-order the sends on a channel?" With AudioFX, you simply click and drag them to re-order. I was hoping you could do that with the Sends as well. Apparently the answer is "no."

Correct, you can not reorder sends.

One reason why I asked "why do you want to do that" is because I thought the user may be misguided into thinking that the order of the sends matters for the signal flow, so if that had been the reason for reordering I could have explained that it doesn't matter.

Another reason: sometimes a question like that surprises me because I have never had that specific need in my workflow, and I want to gain insight about the other user's workflow.

In your case, you have a good reason for wanting to reorder the sends for organizational purposes, and I completely agree that it would be helpful and intuitive to be able to reorder them by dragging them the same way you can reorder plug-ins. I even wish one could move or copy (Option-drag) sends from one channel to another.

Welcome to Logic Pro Help by the way! :D

In your case, you have a good reason for wanting to reorder the sends for organizational purposes, and I completely agree that it would be helpful and intuitive to be able to reorder them by dragging them the same way you can reorder plug-ins. I even wish one could move or copy (Option-drag) sends from one channel to another.

+1 :idea: