tuner not working

buttervideo
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

When I open the tuner in the channel strip, turn off bypass, nothing happens with the tuner. The only time the tuner shows action is on playback of the active track. Then it is showing all the notes like a pinwheel. Turning off and on bypass in tuner, record enable, solo, etc. doesn't change this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
I have followed the steps here and haven't had success (software monitoring enabled, tuner only works on playback). I have a Focusrite Clarett interface that has it's own software "focusrite control". I haven't encountered any problems with it but apparently it is a total hassle to set up with Pro Tools because it has that software. Do you think the software is interfering with live playback? I have tried starting new projects, adding the tuner plugin to existing tracks, creating new tracks etc and it isn't working.

Right but how are you actually using it: are you clicking the Tuner button, or inserting the Tuner plug-in yourself, where...?

Basically the Tuner button (in the Control bar) should work as long as software monitoring is on.

If you insert a plug-in on the Audio FX section of the R-enabled channel strip then you also need to deselect Input monitoring only for focused track... in Logic's audio preferences (General tab).

Success! Thank you very much. I was creating the tuner plugin on the Audio FX bit on the channel mixer (dropping down to metering > tuner) and had "software monitoring" selected. Just tried "deselect input monitoring only" which worked. You saved me a few quid there, I had the ebay tab open for 2nd hand tuners and was just about to get one. Thanks again

• 5 years later...

So I have the same issue as all these other people: I'm trying to use the tuner and I'm trying to see exactly which notes are played on one specific audio file in Track 1 (the only track), but whenever I click on the Tuner button in the Control bar, it goes around like a pinwheel. I've tried fiddling around with everything mentioned in this thread (even the thing for plugins even though I'm not using any). I have no idea why it's randomly tuning to random things; I set the input source (under Settings>Audio>Input device) to System Setting and every other option I saw, and even the external and MacBook Pro mic options would do the pinwheel thing. When I hit none the Tuner was grayed out. I tried singing into it using the MacBook Pro mic input thinking it would focus on my voice but it didn't change what it was doing. That would've at least given me something to work with but it's being weird. What do I do?

It's a track that has horn, with guitar backing it; the tuner keeps doing exactly what it's doing regardless of whether the recording is playing or not though. I'm fine with it trying and failing to find the notes in a complex recording; at least then I know it's working like it should. When I hit stop though, it should ideally, well, stop.

You have inserted the tuner plugin directly on the track with the audio file, yes?

And not using the global tuner which is likely just listening to your computer’s microphone all the time, and therefore randomly responding to any old audio going on in the environment…

Edited by des99

4 hours ago, Keenan Bruce said:

I've never used a plugin in Logic before. Could you please walk me through what that process looks like, or point me towards an existing tutorial?

1st, a shameless plug: I've written a book for a solid foundation in producing music with Logic Pro, which has an entire lesson dedicated on using plug-ins: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-book/

Now to answer your question, I'll share an image from my book that shows you how to click the Audio FX slot on a channel strip to insert a plug-in: 

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 9.28.36 AM.png

• Like 2

Unsolicited praise for David’s book. Suggesting you buy it was the first thing I thought of when I read ‘I've never used a plugin in Logic before. Could you please walk me through what that process looks like, or point me towards an existing tutorial?’.

It will answer so many questions for you @Keenan Bruce

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

1st, a shameless plug: I've written a book for a solid foundation in producing music with Logic Pro, which has an entire lesson dedicated on using plug-ins: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-book/

Now to answer your question, I'll share an image from my book that shows you how to click the Audio FX slot on a channel strip to insert a plug-in: 

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 9.28.36 AM.png

2 hours ago, rAC said:

Unsolicited praise for David’s book. Suggesting you buy it was the first thing I thought of when I read ‘I've never used a plugin in Logic before. Could you please walk me through what that process looks like, or point me towards an existing tutorial?’.

It will answer so many questions for you @Keenan Bruce

This makes me so glad to have the book in my college resources. I knew it looked familiar!

I'm only starting out my music production courses for the semester so there is a LOT of stuff to learn 😅

• Like 1

Yep! The benefit of having all this technology and these resources available when you're starting out is that it can be overwhelming.

Not like us back in the day with two cassette machines and Casio... 😉

(There wasn't much to learn, but conversely, you could do very little with it, so...)

Edited by des99
  • Love 1