low latency mode questions

Devon8822

1. In the Logic manual it says that all low latency mode really does is bypass plugins in order to keep the latency under the amount of time specified in the low latency mode settings. BUT... what does make sense to me is that if I have a project full of hefty plugins and I am getting latency, bypassing them all manually DOES NOT remove any of the latency, only manually removing the plugins from the inserts gets rid of the latency. Whats up with this?

2. In the low latency mode settings you can set the limit for it anywhere between 0 ms and 30 ms. say I set it for 5 ms... is this 5 ms + my normal latency from my converters/buffer (lets say thats 7 ms)... making the threshold for plugin cutoff by the low latency mode actually 12 ms... or does it mean that plugins are always cut off when LLM is on because my original overall latency is already past 5 ms.

Thanks! :D

1. LLM bypasses plug-ins AND eliminates the latency the plug-ins introduce in the signal path, while bypassing plug-ins manually does not eliminate their latency.

2. LLM concerns itself only with plug-ins, it does not account for other latencies introduced in other places in the signal chain such as latency included by buffers, converters etc. Set it to 5ms and it will simply bypass any plug-in that creates more than 5ms of latency in the plug-in chain. In your example, setting LLM limit to 5ms actually means you're setting the total latency limit to 12ms. And if you had two plug-ins introducing 4ms of latency each it would only bypass the second one.

1. In the Logic manual it says that all low latency mode really does is bypass plugins in order to keep the latency under the amount of time specified in the low latency mode settings. BUT... what does make sense to me is that if I have a project full of hefty plugins and I am getting latency, bypassing them all manually DOES NOT remove any of the latency, only manually removing the plugins from the inserts gets rid of the latency. Whats up with this?

In the All mode, bypassing plug-ins on busses, auxes, and outputs will not eliminate the latency that they create. You must actually remove these plug-ins from the Insert slots to eliminate latency.

In the Audio and Software Instrument Tracks plug-in latency compensation mode, bypassing plug-ins eliminates the latency that they create.

• 4 years later...
1. LLM bypasses plug-ins AND eliminates the latency the plug-ins introduce in the signal path, while bypassing plug-ins manually does not eliminate their latency.

2. LLM concerns itself only with plug-ins, it does not account for other latencies introduced in other places in the signal chain such as latency included by buffers, converters etc. Set it to 5ms and it will simply bypass any plug-in that creates more than 5ms of latency in the plug-in chain. In your example, setting LLM limit to 5ms actually means you're setting the total latency limit to 12ms. And if you had two plug-ins introducing 4ms of latency each it would only bypass the second one.

Is their a default good for this? Like optimum ms?

Is their a default good for this? Like optimum ms?

The 'factory' default is 5ms. Keep in mind your total roundtrip latency is higher as you have to add your i/o buffers etc...

Low Latency Mode was created to avoid routing the audio signal you're recording into plug-ins that cause delay in your monitoring. The good setting is the one that gives you an acceptable amount of delay while still letting you use the plug-ins you want to hear during the recording. So the decision is based on what plug-ins you're using, how much latency you're getting, which ones you absolutely need to keep on during the recording, how much latency you're willing to live with, etc..