Memory...

Nico1

I am new to this program, wich is Logic express 7. I get the message "Memory is running low" and the program is halting, drop-outs and stuff. How should I set up this working platform? I have an iBook G4 (1 ghz) with 512 meg of memory. Also I have an external disc, 240 gig where I now have put the libraries for NI Battery amongst some other synths/samplers. Should I install the actual samplers and synths on the ext. drive aswell and not only the sound banks? Can the program find them then?

Is there anything else I could do to improve the performance?

Help!!!

Nico :cry:

Nico,

I'm also running a 1GHz iBook G4 (512MB) with no problems. A few things to check:

Make sure your System Preferences > Energy Saver settings are set to Highest Performance. This will allow you to get the most from the CPU (the drop-outs are typically a result of CPU overload).

Raise the buffer size for your audio driver (Audio > Hardware and Drivers). Anything less than 256 samples on is unlikely to be stable on a G4 iBook. Higher buffer sizes relax the load on the CPU, but introduce more latency. Lower buffer sizes give lower latency, but demand more from the CPU. As a reference, at a sample rate of 44.1kHz, a buffer size of 1024 samples will result in latency of about 11ms. This setting works well with my mBox, although 512 samples is also stable. With my MOTU 828 in my guitar synth rig, I can get away with 128 samples (approx 1.4ms latency), but 256 samples (2.75ms) is the best compromise between performance and stability.

Of course, G4 iBooks are a bit limited in terms of the number of virtual instruments that can be handled simultaneousy. Once you've finished a part, try using the Track Freeze function to take it offline.

Hope this helps!