when recording 'on the fly' it cuts audio for a sec- why?

rekloos

Just noticed this scenario.....apparently if your track is playing and you arm (rec) another track for recording the audio cuts off for a sec.

Same thing happens if you arm a track for recording, press play, then you press rec to start recording.

This i noticed yesterday at somebody's studio while we where tracking but i went home and tested on my lappy and did the same thing.

I usually do this kinda on the fly recordings in ableton without a hitch so i'm wondering why logic doesn't play nice :evil:

Indeed, I've not enjoyed that issue as well...try this:

Have you selected 'Punch on the Fly'..?

Go to Options > Audio > check Punch on the Fly

also, experiment with Auto Input Monitoring (on and off)

I've noticed that after a test punch or two, for some reason, the

audio drop-out issue goes away...bizarre? perhaps...

Indeed, I've not enjoyed that issue as well...try this:

Have you selected 'Punch on the Fly'..?

Go to Options > Audio > check Punch on the Fly

also, experiment with Auto Input Monitoring (on and off)

I've noticed that after a test punch or two, for some reason, the

audio drop-out issue goes away...bizarre? perhaps...

thx Henry...

My partner likes to use punch in but the problem is we get dancehall/ragga style vocalists

who like to ride on top of the track and punch in is time specific and once it starts recording

it doesn't seem to have an option to stop it until it reaches the end. How is punch on the fly

different?

I'll check the monitoring option as well...

I can only guess that Punch on the Fly must use more buffer or hold more of the session in RAM so that you can do just what you are asking: punch in whenever a vocalist wants to do a quick fix, and avoid that audio hiccup...when you have a minute to experiment, try messing with those two settings.

Believe me, I have done hundreds (thousands actually) of vocal sessions on older Studer tape machines (back in the day), and loved

how easy and painless it was to monitor, get a great punch and move on...(unless I f***ed up the punch of course) - I've recorded a bunch of hip-hop and ragga...great stuff!

I can only guess that Punch on the Fly must use more buffer or hold more of the session in RAM so that you can do just what you are asking: punch in whenever a vocalist wants to do a quick fix, and avoid that audio hiccup...when you have a minute to experiment, try messing with those two settings.

Believe me, I have done hundreds (thousands actually) of vocal sessions on older Studer tape machines (back in the day), and loved

how easy and painless it was to monitor, get a great punch and move on...(unless I f***ed up the punch of course) - I've recorded a bunch of hip-hop and ragga...great stuff!

Yeah, i'll be testing things out when i'm at his studio next.

Don't have to worry about this at my place cause most of on the fly i do in ableton

and i have my apc next to me for easy access, everything is simple. And i do all my monitoring from my console so don't mess with logic's

routing at all when i record.

Just noticed this scenario.....apparently if your track is playing and you arm (rec) another track for recording the audio cuts off for a sec.

That's expected: rec-arming a track is a complex process, so you get a hiccup in the monitoring.

Same thing happens if you arm a track for recording, press play, then you press rec to start recording.

That should not happen if punch on the fly is selected under Options > Audio >...

k. this got me puzzled.....

I just opened logic on my laptop, created a new file, dropped a track in.

Created another track and armed it. I click on autopunch then make it as long as the track is; i right-click on rec button then select punch on the fly; input monitoring off.

Press play then as soon as i click on rec there goes that gap i audio :(

I'm just using the laptop with its own in/out, running logic 9.16 on osx 10.6.8.

That's expected: rec-arming a track is a complex process, so you get a hiccup in the monitoring.

Is that normal for major daws? Guess I got spoiled with ableton....but live is built with the concept of

doing things on the fly so it compromises elsewhere, like for example I would nt be able to get away

with half as many tracks and plugs as I can in logic.

Is that normal for major daws? Guess I got spoiled with ableton....but live is built with the concept of

doing things on the fly so it compromises elsewhere, like for example I would nt be able to get away

It's not normal for a DAW and I see it as a bug in Logic. Ableton, Cubase and Pro Tools all handle this without problems....

It's not normal for a DAW and I see it as a bug in Logic. Ableton, Cubase and Pro Tools all handle this without problems....

You cannot arm a track in Pro Tools while it's playing.

Hi,

Hope I understand your issue clearly?

I had a similar problem when punching in manually on a record armed "Audio track" (clicking main red record button with mouse) a beat or so before my desired punch point. Every time I punched this way, it took Logic almost a full bar to engage "record", and the material previously recorded on this record-ready Audio track was momentarily not audible. So, I ended up having to compensate for the delay by punching in much earlier than I actually wanted to and then editing the Regions together after the fact.

One day I figured out that I got this erratic punch-in behaviour only when another existing MIDI TRACK (not Audio) was also set in Record Mode ( red R lit). If I disengaged the Midi track's record button prior to recording on my currently selected Audio track, the punch in delay problem was remedied - I could punch with immediate response in very tight cracks within vocal phrases and still hear preceding audio right up to punching record.. . did remind me of punching in on multitrack tape :-)

I'm not sure what's considered "normal" punch in behaviour in Logic, but this was my experience with a very problematic punch-in delay.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Dave

wait up.....so if i dont select autopunch but JUST select punch on the fly then click on rec it seems to be working....still messing round with it

though..

I always use POTF and almost never autopunch. The thing to realize is that when you are using POTF, Logic is recording from the moment you put it in play. So if you use a couple of bars of pre-roll and then hit record just before the vocalist sings, the previous two bars have also been recorded. This allows for some flexibility when editing, if the talent was playing along with their old part.

Another side benefit is that if the talent is just warming up and you're setting levels while the song plays, if they happen to do something brilliant, you hit record and it's all captured. This only works if you have POTF engaged. However, if you stop the transport before hitting record, the take is thrown out.

I always use POTF and almost never autopunch.

Same here. I've **never** had a problem punching in and out manually using the RECORD TOGGLE key command. And when I'm punching in audio, I make a point of ensuring that only the track(s) I want to record on are record-enabled. TIP: in those instances where I need to maintain the ability to play an instrument sound while also recording a vocalist (for example, to work out a part or to give them a pitch) I do a simple bit of re-cabling in the environment to ensure that my keyboard is always able to play the instrument directly and not via the normal method of record-enabling the instrument track. This bit of environment work is easily undone (and you can even create a little environment switch to go back and forth between the normal way of working and this way of working).

I always use POTF and almost never autopunch.

Same here. I've **never** had a problem punching in and out manually using the RECORD TOGGLE key command. And when I'm punching in audio, I make a point of ensuring that only the track(s) I want to record on are record-enabled. TIP: in those instances where I need to maintain the ability to play an instrument sound while also recording a vocalist (for example, to work out a part or to give them a pitch) I do a simple bit of re-cabling in the environment to ensure that my keyboard is always able to play the instrument directly and not via the normal method of record-enabling the instrument track. This bit of environment work is easily undone (and you can even create a little environment switch to go back and forth between the normal way of working and this way of working).

hmm...I swear I did try toggle and wasn't happening for me.

what settings were u using?

@ Henri, :)

@ rekloos, here are my settings and procedure for recording audio, some of which is repeated from above:

• punch on the fly is always enabled

• replace recording is always on (trapezoidal icon in the transport with the circled X in the middle of it. When it's on it turns orange.)

• key command set for "record toggle" (mind is shift + Z, but you can use any one you like)

• I only ever use the record toggle key command for punch in & out, always manually

• I never use autopunch

• Something else that might be of importance... I rarely use Logic's software monitoring. Most of the time I use direct monitoring from my audio interface so I'm always hearing live input. So maybe that's why I don't hear any gap when I punch in. When I don't want to hear input I mute the input channels on my outboard mixer.