Adjusting audio input volume?

spurs78

Hi all,

Absolute beginner - tried looking all over Google, can't find this simple answer!

Using Logic 8 on a Macbook 10.6.8, recording my acoustic guitar through an SE USB 2200a mic onto an audio track. I want to record close to the mic but the input volume is clipping and the recording is distorted. The mic itself has various options, such as using the -10db, but then it's too quiet and tinny. Same results with the mic's inbuilt Low-cut. I can't figure out how to lower the input volume in Logic and I don't want to adjust the position of the guitar as the sound quality gets reduced.

Any help much appreciated!

Spurs78

Hi and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry to say it but you are out of luck.

The USB microphone is not an ideal solution as you have now experienced.

A USB microphone is in fact 4 things in one:

1. Microphone.
  2. Preamp.
  3. Analog - Digital converter.
  4. USB interface.

You are clipping the internal AD inside of the mic and the only thing you can do about it is to use the pad.

I would recommend getting a proper audio interface and a "normal" microphone.

That will allow you to set the amount of gain in the preamp stage.

With those mics you can usually adjust the gain by going to the Sound system preferences. There you should find a slider for adjusting the input gain.

In USB mode, the microphone gain is optimised for close speech or general purpose instrument recording, and can be further adjusted via the Mac or PC Audio device control panel. Apple Macs and PCs handle digital audio slightly differently so the sE USB2200a also includes a Mac/PC switch to provide the correct output level for both platforms. The combination of the MAC/PC gain switch and the ability to further adjust the mic gain via the Mac and PC control panel allows the USB2200a to be applicable for a far wider range of pro applications than other USB microphones.

J.

Yes. But then you are adjusting the gain in the digital domain.

So if you are clipping the AD you're still out of luck!

Well, if there's nothing that can be done (besides using the pad) to prevent clipping the A/D...what a horrible idea these mics are!

J.

You can always step away a foot from the microphone. ;)

I agree with you jordito! This microphone is not intended for music recording. I think it's aimed at podcasters.

It must be since the SE2200 has only 16 bit AD converters. Which is euh, unexpected for such an expensive mic. To anyone who "must have" an USB microphone: go for one with 24 bit AD conversion, like the AKG Perception 120 USB, the MXL Studio 24 or the (yes, it's available!) Apogee Mic. All priced under 200 $, the AKG only $ 150 even!

Another limitation of its USB mode is the bit depth: 16-bit tops.

J.

I have downloaded every PDF and read every "specs" and "tech note" on the SE site, and nowhere do they explicitly state it is 16 bit. It reinforces my rule of thumb: if an interface or a USB microphone does not state its AD conversion bitdepth, it is 16. The 24 bitters always advertise their 24 bit-ness, the 16 bitters hide their 16-bitness in shame... :lol:

The difference in a nutshell: 24 bits AD concersion has a (much) greater dynamic range, meaning it is easier to avoid clipping and get a dynamically much deeper signal than with 16 bit convertors.

Edited by Eriksimon

Ok, thanks guys. Bugger. It seems I'll be getting a new mic! Quality is great though. I'll have to master the mic's in built options.

Thanks for your quick replies, much appreciated.

AFAICS your mic is of at least decent quality, and since it can apparently operate as a "normal" non-USB mic, you might want to consider a 24 bits Audio Interface with a mic preamp instead, to plug your SE2200 into that as a "normal" mic.

edit: I now see Jordi's got the same idea, only 5 minutes earlier than I did... :lol:

Ok, that would be the better option. Any recommendations of relatively cheap (but effective) audio interfaces? I'm only recording acoustic tunes, so don't need anything too fancy.

thanks again.

OK, but first define "relatively cheap" - in US dollars, pounds or Euro's.

The range is (roughly) between € 80 (M-Audio) and € 529 (RME Babyface). For your needs the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (€ 139) may be the ideal price-quality ratio. But there is a lot of choice in that priceclass, so don't take my word for it.

It reinforces my rule of thumb: if an interface or a USB microphone does not state its AD conversion bitdepth, it is 16. The 24 bitters always advertise their 24 bit-ness, the 16 bitters hide their 16-bitness in shame... :lol:

The difference in a nutshell: 24 bits AD concersion has a (much) greater dynamic range, meaning it is easier to avoid clipping and get a dynamically much deeper signal than with 16 bit convertors.

Rule of thumb: Don't purchase the 'cheapshit.'

Any recommendations of relatively cheap (but effective) audio interfaces? I'm only recording acoustic tunes, so don't need anything too fancy.

This is a really good option for you. Reliable, good pre's for the money and works well with Logic.

And, I especially like that it's NOT made of plastic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=645633&Q=&is=REG&A=details

645633.jpg.1afe663c12ae11d4f440d98952269978.jpg

• 9 years later...