Logic 9.1.6 and Kontakt 5 = glitch sandwich?

Neil Parfitt

I'm finding even on the most basic patches loaded into a single rail of Kontakt 4 and 5 that it pins core 8 of my 2008 MacPro 2.8octa, and in turn chokes/glitches out. I have to freeze in order to do anything or even hear what I played in - without glitches.

My buffer is 256, PCIe MOTU. All samples are on internal SSD's and I have 20GB's of ram. Even if the machine is old, it's no slouch. I have 2 of them running VEP standalone using RAYDATS - and both those machines have 16 kontakts with 16 sounds loaded in each. I can hammer them on an intense orchestra cue and there's no issue. One patch in Logic, unusable!

I've tried multiCPU support on AND off within kontakt - no difference.

Interesting enough, I load the same thing into Nuendo - no issue, no glitch. It works. (as this should).

Any ideas?

Neil

I'm finding even on the most basic patches loaded into a single rail of Kontakt 4 and 5 that it pins core 8 of my 2008 MacPro 2.8octa, and in turn chokes/glitches out. I have to freeze in order to do anything or even hear what I played in - without glitches.

My buffer is 256, PCIe MOTU. All samples are on internal SSD's and I have 20GB's of ram. Even if the machine is old, it's no slouch. I have 2 of them running VEP standalone using RAYDATS - and both those machines have 16 kontakts with 16 sounds loaded in each. I can hammer them on an intense orchestra cue and there's no issue. One patch in Logic, unusable!

I've tried multiCPU support on AND off within kontakt - no difference.

Interesting enough, I load the same thing into Nuendo - no issue, no glitch. It works. (as this should).

Any ideas?

Neil

Neil,

When I first installed Kontact 5 as part of the Komplete 8 upgrade it wouldn't work at all. When I tried to load it in Logic I'd get an error message that it had crashed. I fix the issue I did an update via Service Center and it now works fine.

Have you tried an update yet?

Andy

Is the instrument track chosen/rec armed in the arrange area when you get this glitches?

If so create an audio track and choose it and then press play. Logic has a live input mode which is activated when an instrument track

is chosen in the arrange. the live input mode uses only one core at a time and one core spikes are frequent with more CPU hungry VIs.

I have an i7 MBP and have a lot of heavy sessions with Komplete 8 VIs without any problems. I have mulitcore support in 'Kontak turned off. Processing buffer set to medium or large in Logic preferences and io buffer constantly at 256.

Just try to avoid choosing the cpu heavy instruments in the arrange (create an audio track and select it when you press play)

Oh yes and just like the poster above mine make sure you have the latest updates.

Regards J

audio = 256

process = large

threads = 8

I wouldn't have posted unless everything was up-to-date.

Is the instrument track chosen/rec armed in the arrange area when you get this glitches?

Yes - I need to be able to play/record in my parts! :)

And when I'm not using them, I always choose a blank non-inst track to avoid that stupid live-mode cpu gobbler.

It's the combination of changing all three settings that might work for you.

And if that doesn't work, try this combo:

Buffer = whatever you think it should be

Threads = Automatic

Process Buffer = Medium OR Small

Might seem counter-intuitive, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also having issues w/ Kontakt 5 and Logic 9.1.6. This particular combination certainly seems not to agree right out of the box like earlier incarnations of both products did for me, even using the same libraries.

Things have gotten slightly better, but I'm still in the process of trying various combinations to get it back to where it was. I've also tested Kontakt in Studio One, and w/ similar settings, it didn't appear to be anywhere near as CPU intensive, though I did get occasional clicks and glitches.