Mod Wheel RBA not chasing

Rev. Juda Sleaze

So, I just found out it's not expected behaviour for mod wheel RBA to stay at it's last played position unitl it hits a new bit of automation info; eg. I'm playing an EXS clarinet track with mod wheel set to change between legato and staccato, if the playhead starts from after the RBA to change the articulation to staccato, the legato samples will play instead. This happens with multiple regions on the track as well as one big merged region for the entire song length.

I have all midi controls set to chase in prefs.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to some plugin TBA in the past too, but I'd have to remember which projects it happened in...

So, I just found out it's not expected behaviour for mod wheel RBA to stay at it's last played position unitl it hits a new bit of automation info

It is (the expected behavior). Maybe you're experiencing a problem or a glitch or a bug... or pilot error, that's yet to be determined. But the expected behavior for RBA is to chase (assuming correct chase settings, and assuming there is data to chase in the first place).

Try to use an EXS24 where you route the mod wheel to pitch in order to verify what I just said. It works as expected here.

To help you troubleshoot your situation, upload your project (or an example of a project where this issue occurs) to this thread so we can look at it?

if the playhead starts from after the RBA to change the articulation to staccato, the legato samples will play instead

Make sure you have an RBA node before where the playhead starts! Otherwise, there's nothing to chase, and Logic will use the last MIDI CC value received. That's expected behavior.

In a hurry right now but I can detail more later if necessary.

Ok, so the behaviour is a little different in this quick example I made. It's just chasing late, the first staccato note plays a legato sample if I start playback from the beginning of a staccato bar, then the next three play staccato.

In the past it hasn't caught up at all, and I've never changed my midi chase settings.

RBSChase.zip

In Project Settings under Chase there is a box to check for Pitch Bend but nothing for Mod Wheel.

Mod wheel is MIDI Control #1, so the "Control Changes 0-15" checkbox affects whether or not mod wheel is chased.

480816893_Picture1.png.f03f48c078f61b714d7d0e339caa1055.png

Again, this works as expected here. I tested it again today in both 9.0.2 and 9.1.5 and mod wheel chases as expected. Turn off the CC 0-15 chase setting, and the mod wheel no longer chases. So everything works as expected.

Scott, Rev, if one of your or even both of you want to upload a project where this does not work to this thread, I'll look at it.

I changed the MIDI channel to #1 and it works beautifully.

Change it to something else and it's "Houston, we have a problem".

Hi Eric,

I downloaded your file and it does chase on my machine now.

You say you changed the MIDI channel to #1.

Where?

In the inspector the synth still says MIDI Channel: All

[Edit] I see. After reading your last post which I just saw after posting my last post I get it. You changed all of the MIDI events channel in the Event List. Correct?

Edited by Scott Jackson

[Edit] I see. After reading your last post which I just saw after posting my last post I get it. You changed all of the MIDI events channel in the Event List. Correct?

That's correct!

You keep sneaking in posts before I can finish.

I just edited my last post while you were posting your last post.

I feel a little sneaky today. :lol:

Ok, so Eric, your project does chase mod wheel for me too. Hurrah! Thanks for taking the time to tinker :)

So two questions (which may well be obvious, but I almost never venture into the event list with my workflow):

1) Any idea why the midi channel should affect this?

2) Is there a way of fixing it other than editing the event list, because, to be honest, it's quicker for me to just live with it and always play from before an RBA node, or just add more RBA nodes.

Mystery solved!

Thanks Eric!

I hadn't thought of the MIDI channel in the Event List having any affect on the issue since in the Inspector the MIDI Channel is set to All.

My original file had the events on Channel 16 which was the factory set default channel on my Axiom 61 when I bought it. The test project that I posted is a region from an early project that I made before I set my Axiom to transmit on Channel 1.

You are a sneaky devil. :evil:

Thanks again Eric!

My original file had the events on Channel 16 which was the factory set default channel on my Axiom 61 when I bought it. The test project that I posted is a region from an early project that I made before I set my Axiom to transmit on Channel 1.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

But, it's still a mystery to me why my clarinet doesn't chase until the second staccato note :?

1) Any idea why the midi channel should affect this?

It shouldn't!

2) Is there a way of fixing it other than editing the event list, because, to be honest, it's quicker for me to just live with it and always play from before an RBA node, or just add more RBA nodes.

It's super easy in the event list.

Select the region, Selact all and Double - click on an event, type 1 and then hold down Option - Shift when you press Enter.

You can also use the Transform window for this.

1076641616_ScreenShot2012-03-09at2_36_00PM.png.720ed833cae0131587c9b40b0404a459.png

It's super easy in the event list.

Select the region, Selact all and Double - click on an event, type 1 and then hold down Option - Shift when you press Enter.

You can also use the Transform window for this.

Hmmm... This isn't going to help me, because my mod wheel is on channel 1 anyway.

Wonder why it chases fine for you, but late for me? :?