Roland JD-800 Environment

virgo

I have created this test Environment to control my JD-800 and eventually I would want to control not more than 10 parameters with it.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to achieve the relative scaling of parameters with one fader.

eg. A sound has the Cutoff set to:

• ToneA:47

• ToneB:59

• ToneC:12

• ToneD:39

At the moment, I can only control all Tones to have the same value.

The other thing I was wondering, is whether I can make this bi-directional.

Move a fader on the JD and CC data is recorded into Logic?

Any ideas?

Thanks

:wink:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5167/bildschirmfoto20120317uo.png

JD-Makro.logic.zip

JD-800 test environment

There's no easy way to do this. It would require some very complex (and not necessarily successful) environment setups to maintain the original values for each Tone's offset after you've scaled them up or down from their original values.

Your best bet is to program the individual tones in the JD to respond to a common MIDI message that will control cutoff, perhaps Aftertouch (however, this would only allow you to adjust the cutoffs upward, not downward). Or perhaps there's a Palette control sysex message that you can generate to control all four Tone's filters at once. I believe those are your two most viable options.

Thanks ski!

I am not sure I understand the SysEx Palette system you mentioned.

I have searched here, but could not find any examples of how this technology would work.

The assignment for the filter to be controlled via aftertouch is how I have been (sort of) doing up to now.

As a matter of fact, I have programmed quite a few sounds like this. :wink:

...still thinking...

Palette Controls: see picture.

...still thinking...

If you come up with something please let us know! But one thing I can tell you is that generating scaled data for even two parameters simultaneously in the environment is extremely difficult (if not impossibly difficult). Here's an example:

You have two tones, A and B, where A's cutoff is 64 and B's cutoff is 12. You want to create a "master" cutoff fader that will raise or lower the cutoff for A and B with those values as starting offsets. For A, it's easy enough to feed it a value that's based off the actual position of the master cutoff control. With the master starting at 64, you move it up + 1 and A's cutoff will increase in value to 65 just as you'd want. But what about B?

Well, you could run the output of the master cutoff control through a transformer and use the scale function so that its values of 65 - 127 generate values from 13 - 127. That's easy (though you'll get some stairstepping in B's filter response).

Now you return the master control to 64 and this puts A's cutoff back to 64 and B's cutoff back to 12. But then you want to move the cutoff frequency down on both sounds. Here, the master can send values of 63 ---> 0 directly to A, but you'll need a different transformer to scale 63 --> 0 values between 11 and 0 for B.

Of course, this example is fairly easy to implement because A's value is a very convenient 64 (no scaling necessary) and B's value scaling would only involve two transformers. But let's say A's offset wasn't 64; you'd now need four transformers, two for A and two for B, each set with different scale and offset values to handle values above and below your various starting offset values. Multiply the complication of that by 2 (because you're dealing with four tones) and thus you need to program 8 transformers. Not easy, especially because you can't see the programming content of more than one transformer at a time.

Does your head hurt yet? :lol:

551165631_Picture2.png.884716694e8fb142c174cbce9c289c69.png

Palette Controls: see picture.

doh! I was so focused on Logic, transformers, scalers, switches and sysex, that I misunderstood. :oops:

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. :D

I`ll have a look at the documentation when I´m in the studio later and see if I can find a solution.

In any case, I have mapped a few more parameters like I did in the posted environment in this thread, and will post my environment in the File Sharing forum soon.

:wink: