Logic Pro threads

Neil Parfitt

I think you are talking about 12 cores activated versus 12 threads all together. Most apps have plenty of threads and if you know what you are talking about then you know how to use Activity Monitor and Sample Process to examine the threads.

I think the key words here are "up to" and "supports". These are typical advertising ambiguities and a common Apple (if not general) marketing trap. Case in point, and something I've mentioned here on the forum before...

Before I bought my 8-core I called Apple and spoke with an salesperson who specialized in Logic to help guide my purchasing decision. When we spoke about hyperthreading, he specifically mentioned that Logic was NOT coded to take advantage of it. So for my purposes, the purchase of a 6 core would not give me 12 when HT was activated via Logic's prefs. He also said that Logic becomes unstable when HT is enabled in Logic, suggesting that for whatever computer I buy that I leave the threads pref to "auto" for best performance.

I ended up buying the 8 core, and with the exception of one little experiment I did setting it to 16, I have stuck with "auto" and I now leave a good thing alone.

If, in the 8 months or so since I purchased my 8-core things have changed then of course the above doesn't apply. But if things haven't changed (and I've yet to read anything to the contrary) then you're "stuck" with 12 cores or whatever the maximum number is that you can get with HT. But per the advice I was given, perhaps you'll do just fine sticking with "auto" and not worrying about virtual cores, seeing how things fly in the meantime.

Not sure if your post is in response to me or the OP. In any case, can you elaborate on what you wrote? For example, does Activity Monitor show or distinguish between (say) normal and hyperthreaded threads? Does the number of threads set in Logic have to be set to more than the number of cores to show anything meaningful in Activity Monitor? Etc. etc. etc.