CPU Load 100% in Arange since 9.1.7?

musick

See a very strange thing (think since I installed 9.1.7): On a several pretty small/simple sessions I see intermittent the CPU load going to 100% on one of the 8 cores, sometimes to the point that the audio crackles.

But this only happens when Arange window is visible, when I select the mixer window the load stays very low (as expected). When a Arange window is opened on top of the mixer (CMD-1) the load on one CPU suddenly starts to 'pulse'... Anybody else sees this?

Thanks in advance.

PS: No AU instruments are in those sessions that could be in 'Live mode'...

Im getting the same cpu spikes when scrolling in arrange mode. One core is overloading. If I take the focus of the arrange the overloads stop. Its in 64bit mode. I already experienced this in 9.16 but occasionally.

J

Might be same problem then... Could be I also had it in 9.1.6 but did not notice, most of the time I've the 'mixer screenset' active so not play that often with Arange view.

i got the same issue with my mac pro 8 core , this is catastrophic when I use the piano/score roll with a large windows , looks like a video configuration or compatibility problem , when I scroll left /right or up / down , I normally hear some pop ups , but see the score in a full screen is painful , the cpu goes red quick

I will have to check and see if it does the same thing for me in mix mode, but I am running into the same issue- one core maxed out and the other barely getting used. It is breaking up and dropping out on projects that previously it didn't even blink at before.

Scott A.

I was able to try a project today with and without the Arrange window open. With the Arrange closed, the usage of the one core does drop by about 10%, but it does not transfer any usage to the other core.

This problem isn't killing me at the moment, but I would like to get this solved. Any thoughts?

Scott A.

Exactly same problem on i7 iMac, went from never having CPU issues to single core maxing out when using a single instrument and monitoring an audio input. Nothing I did resolved it , so went back via time machine to 9.1.6 and. Comp,etely sorted. Not touching this update.

I have the same problem with my MBP 17" early 2011 after 9.1.7. This gave me some help:

"Avoid having an Audio Instrument track selected in the Arrange. When an Audio Instrument track is highlighted, Logic must devote enough CPU resources to insure that anything you might play live into the track can be processed. When you are mixing, try to keep an Audio or classic MIDI track highlighted as you work. Only select an Audio Instrument track at times when you are actually working with that particular track."

I had a massive problem with CPU overloading on a project that was almost no problem with this, sometime after 9.1.7.

Suddenly it was so bad I couldn't get any work done - all hands on deck to reduce the CPU load.

A problem I've never had to deal with to this extent.

I didn't want to assume it was the update.

I also just bought Pro (up from Express, but which didn't change anything)

After getting ideas from this thread, I went to my audio preferences and changed the one I like to assume Logic knows better than me "Processing Threads"

I have 4 cores and I changed it from "Auto" to "4".

it went back to normal immediately. Barely any CPU overloads at all.

So now I feel a little smarter than Logic - for a tiny, weeny bit.

i can confirm there is a definite issue with arranger window. i am not sure how many of you tried to adjust automation manually but on my 30 tracks project when i switched into autmation mode and tried to do little bits suddenly logic just run out of memory and now i cant get this done cause it happens each time. hopefully they can get this sorted quick cause at the moment this app is unusable to me :(.

i've installed Software updates yesterday(Logic 9.1.7 included).

afraid to reboot now! i do have the system drive backed up though...

I want to know if the issue is OS-related - i'm on 10.6.8 and running in 32 bit mode - where's everyone else?

Having similar issues with 9.1.7.

This current project I'm working on is giving me some issues. I have about 9-10 instances of Massive going and using 1-2 of Melodyne, and I've got about 65 tracks up- I'm in writing mode at the moment with only 8 bars of tracks spread out in the Arrange window.

It's crashing quite frequently and sometimes when I go to save I get a message that says the project can't be saved.

Opened this same project up in 9.1.6 and have not had one crash or save problem. Staying in 6 for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am well aware my computer is not the fastest but since i updated to OSX Lion and this meant i had to update my logic version to 9.1.7

my CPU has started behaving very odd. For whatever random reason it just sometimes starts jumping from 30 - 90 % on my CPU meter in logic and i just start getting crazy lag. This would happen to me even if i had no real stress on my cpu running a few audio channels messing around and the CPU goes nutts for whatever reason. It never goes back down unless i restart my Logic or sometimes even my whole iMac...

I am running a intel i3 3.06 GHZ iMAC 4gb memory. Logic Pro Version 9.1.7

Please help me solve this.

• 4 weeks later...