Hard Panning not working

novasmith

Hey there,

I need some help and fast,

I am trying to run backing tracks of some songs i have recorded with my band,

I have taken the tracks we have recorded and muted all the parts we dont want then i have created a click track

and panned the click track 100% hard left

That way when we play my drummer can have the backing with the click in his ears by taking the left stereo send and I hope to give the right stereo send which only contains the backing parts to front of house/PA at gig.

PROBLEM: no matter what i do on every track the click can still VERY FAINTLY be heard on the right stereo send,

Both in logic and once the track has bounced ie when i play through itunes/ ipod, quicktime,

Is there a way to make it so things panned completely to one side won't play AT ALL through the other?

Thanks

As i say.

When i play them back in Logic, it happens.

When I play it back in Quicktime it happens.

Not just in iTunes. If you had bothered to read the whole post you would have seen i addressed this.

Also my sound enhancer is turned off in iTunes. But the problem still occurs

As far as I can tell I havent got any inserts on my stereo outs.

I thought it might be something on the actual click track itself but a few of the tracks i actually bounced from PROTOOLS with the click panned left

Then imported the bounce in to logic where i added a few simple things, BUT the click in these tracks was already present from protools so i didnt have actual click track/channel in logic, so it must be something to do with my stereo out, which i dont know much about the settings of or where to change it

As far as I can tell I havent got any inserts on my stereo outs.

I thought it might be something on the actual click track itself but a few of the tracks i actually bounced from PROTOOLS with the click panned left

Then imported the bounce in to logic where i added a few simple things, BUT the click in these tracks was already present from protools so i didnt have actual click track/channel in logic, so it must be something to do with my stereo out, which i dont know much about the settings of or where to change it

So you may want to look at the pro tools set up to see if the click passed through a common point. You could rebounce out of PT without the click track and redo that in Logic.

You don't have any equipment listed (as per the forum rules) so I don't want to guess anything about your set up.

When you guys play out, how will you be playing your backing tracks? How is Logic involved?

I had mine set up so that the click was hard left and the music was centered. I used in-ear monitoring directly out of the stereo mixer so having the music centered was better for me. The music panned right came out mono thru the PA and all was good.

My backing tracks play out of an ipod so that I could be sure the computer had no influence on leaking the click track.

Using the headphone output of the computer would sometimes leak the click, other times it may have been the audio interface.

Just to be safe I'd bypass those sends to bus 1 and 2 on the click channel strips. (option click) however it appears they aren't sending any level from the picture. I wish I could see the main stereo out channel strip, a stereo spread plug on that channel strip would cause the issue you are describing. What happens if you solo only the click tracks? do you still get bleeding into the right channel?

Is there a way to make it so things panned completely to one side won't play AT ALL through the other?

In Logic, yes, not a problem. It's very easy for digital software to have absolutely zero cross channel distortion.

However in your hardware that's another story. That's where the cross channel distortion (bleeding) most likely occurs. So the solution would be to get a better audio interface. Which one are you using right now?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Currently when I hard pan to the left I can still hear it in the right at a very low level.

You shouldn't. There's nothing you need to do in Logic...you should be looking at your hardware for crosstalk issues.

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

J.

Hey Jordi, I also have had this issue. I have no plug ins on my audio tracks/click track. Very standard session. 1 audio track panned hard right. and my click track (audio) panned hard left. Logic is always bleeding my click into my right ear when i should only hear audio. Im only plugging in my headphones straight into my laptop. any reason for this? Itunes enhancer is off. This is also happening when i playback in the session itself.

Hey David,

Using no headphone amp. Headphones straight into laptop. Also, just checked once again in my sessions**, click is bleeding into right, tried multiple headphones. Everything is panned hard right and left. Simple session with 2 audio tracks, 1 audio (music) 1 audio (click...that was taken from a DTX multi 12) Really not understanding why this could be happening. let me know what you think. Thanks !

Hey David,

Using no headphone amp. Headphones straight into laptop. Also, just checked once again in my sessions**, click is bleeding into right, tried multiple headphones. Everything is panned hard right and left. Simple session with 2 audio tracks, 1 audio (music) 1 audio (click...that was taken from a DTX multi 12) Really not understanding why this could be happening. let me know what you think. Thanks !

It's all the analog circuitry in the D/A and headphone amp inside your MacBook. I mean it's a perfectly decent built-in audio interface but it doesn't compare to more professional external audio interfaces that will give you no detectable crosstalk.

Hey David,

It's all the analog circuitry in the D/A and headphone amp inside your MacBook. I mean it's a perfectly decent built-in audio interface but it doesn't compare to more professional external audio interfaces that will give you no detectable crosstalk.

But for some reason this is carrying over live. The click is coming out faintly through front of house. So the problem is happening outside from my session/computer. Im running tracks on a ipad mini, through an app.

But for some reason this is carrying over live. The click is coming out faintly through front of house. So the problem is happening outside from my session/computer. Im running tracks on a ipad mini, through an app.

The crosstalk is happening in the analog circuitry inside your audio interface (which in your case is inside your computer, or when playing live, in your iPad mini). And yes, the bleeding is carrying over to anything you route that audio signal to - that's to be expected:

When crossover happens inside your iPad, the signal from the Left channel bleeds a bit into the Right channel. Let's say you had music on the left and a click on the right. In the analog circuitry, the click bleeds into the music a bit, and the music bleeds into the click a bit. That means that at the output of your iPad, your left signal is music (with a little bit of click) and your right signal is click (with a little bit of music). If you connect a cable from your iPad output to a P.A., then the P.A. will amplify and reproduce the same signals, so you'll still hear the bleeding.

Hope that helps?

I have done live shows in many clubs with backing track on the left, click on the right, I have soldered my own headphone monitoring solution for the drummer so he could adjust the volume of the click vs the backing tracks, I have experienced the bleeding on cheaper audio interfaces, but not on professional equipment. I recommend you get a decent audio interface for your iPad (I have to admit I don't know that market though so you'll have to do some digging or ask in our "Music Production Techniques and Gear" forum for ideas).

Thanks for your help david and to everyone who responded! Im going to experiment with a few different things and let you guys know whats going on.

You could post a snippet of the file here if you want.

It will be very easy for us to verify if it's the file or an external factor.

I was able to bring a bounced track over to a nice studio yesterday. Muted the left monitor on a very nice headphone amp and there was 0 bleed...the click was not playing through the right monitor. Just incase, i imported my session there; panned the click hard left and track hard right ( again ) and bounced it. Once i was home.... i played the track on my laptop and what do you know, the click was bleeding! It is in fact some type of cross talk problem. Im also still getting the bleed at rehearsals.

This is how we are running track:

Right now we are using an Ipad mini. Out from the Ipad is an 8th inch to dual quarter inch cable. We plug the left into channel 1 (click) and the right into channel 2(track) of a small behringer mixer. We shut down the FX in channel 1... and go out from the FX output on the behringer board to a DI, that finally goes to front of house with the audio. Whenever we raise the click on channel 1, the click will bleed just a small amount. When its brought up to about 5 oclock, there is no bleed.

Im going to do some research and see whats the best way for us to run track. Once i figure it out i will let you guys know.

thanks again for your help!

• 1 year later...