Reassign Track erases channel strip in Mixer view

lowski

Hi, I have set up a transformer in the environment to layer any note I play by an octave. I have made a new Track and assigned the transformer to it. All works well so far, When I play a key I hear two notes being played.

Now in the mixer view I have Track 1 labeled as Transformer and Track 2 labeled as Instrument. But when I save the project, Track 1 disappears. Now is there anyway to keep Track 1 in the mixer view?

Thanks

I guess you use the "Mixer View" terminology regarding the Logic "Track Mixer" right ?

Regarding your details you have created a track for the Transformer object in the Arrange so when select that track it behaves as an "Octaver" right ? I wonder why you need to have a view for that transformer object in the Track Mixer...

As an alternative you can create a new Standard Instrument object in the environment and set its port to "No Port". Cable the Standard instrument to the transformer and create a midi track in the Arrange for the Standard Instrument. Select it and operate.

In this scenario the Instrument will be shown in the Track Mixer regarding Track Mixer the View and Filter buttons status etc.

Yeah mixer view is what i meen, and yes when you select the track it acts as an octaver. The reason for the view is i have ocd and i need everything to look clean and orderly. Anyway I found you can get a representation of the transfrmer in the mixer view if you go to View>Other tracks it will show up. anyway thanks

I'm glad to hear that you have found out what you want and your care about "look clean and orderly" is commendable !

To be honest the Mixer is the window which show you the Channel strip objects you need for your mixing work - I have never seen anybody to put transformer objects in it.

If you want to have a well organized window showing your Environment objects you can use the Environment Window, collect your Environment setups (inc objects) into separate Environment layers, make them to show as "Float Windows" and save the Floating window(s) as locked Screenset(s) to optimize your work.

Rechoice :wink:

I'll have to look more into the Environment layers and Float Windows but I like the sound of it already.

The reason why I have this question is because I'm following a tutorial and getting confused on one part. After making the first Inst Track then setting up the transformer. He double clicks the Arrange area to create a new Inst Track (Inst 2) then Reassigns Track to the transformer. But when he goes back the the Environment window I still only see 1 channel (Inst 1) and not the new track he created for the transformer. Then he goes on to make a 3rd Inst Track and when he going back to the Environment window I see 2 channels Inst 1 and Inst 2. So I'm confused as to how to make a track and Reassign it to a transformer with out it creating a channel strip in the Mixer view or Environment window.. Hope that make seen.

Thanks

One other thing. when I hit the my keyboard Mod Wheel. It changes the way the transformer works. Like when I play a chord some of the note no longer come through and sometime nothing comes through. Anyway Idea why this is happening, Thanks

So I'm confused as to how to make a track and Reassign it to a transformer with out it creating a channel strip in the Mixer view or Environment window...

One of the methods is:

1. Open the Environment window and the Arrange window.

2. Drag & drop the Transformer from the Environment window onto any track in the Arrange. This way you will re-assign the Arrange track.

For example, start a new project from "Empty" template and create just one new Software Instrument track in the Arrange. Now you drag & drop the Transformer onto that track to re-assign it. In this scenario you will have a Transformer track in the Arrange and a Software Instrument channel and a Transformer in the Environment.

Like when I play a chord some of the note no longer come through and sometime nothing comes through. Anyway Idea why this is happening,

Please archive that song in a Zip file and provide it here as attachment with some details about the Environment setup and what you want to do as well as the issues you have, so we can test and try to assist you.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks for the help Scandor. I figured out my first problem. I can create a External MIDI and Reassign Track.. pretty easy.

Now I still don't understand what's going on with my keyboards Mod Wheel while the Transformer track is selected in the Arrange window. After I move the Mod Wheel and play some notes not all notes come through. . This only happens when I move the MW in the Transformer track. Anyway, give it a try.

Thanks

Move the Mod Wheel.zip

After I move the Mod Wheel and play some notes not all notes come through.

Hi,

I just downloaded your template and found out improper Environment setup.

I.e you split out multiple cables to create/duplicate 3 note voice paths right ?

1. You do not need a transformer for the Original Note voice pitch - a direct cable is enough.

2. You have set a "Note" OPERATION Status instead of "Note" CONDITION one - see Fig 1 below.

In this case all OTHER midi events like Controllers, Program change will generate Note events. In your scenario when you tweak the Modulation wheel you generate Note events so the newly generated notes kill the original notes - something like that OK !

I have fixed your setup (Fig.2) - it is included in the 3 Templates I provide in the Download attachment labeled as "Octaver via Transformers".

You can use a Chord Memorizer object to create an Octaver or any Chord/Scale type generator triggered via a single key. I have programed a 3 voice Octaver included in the template labeled as "Octaver via Chord Mem".

Finally I decided to create an Easy Harmonizer macro complex tool - I have included it in the pack too.

The tool is based on Add/Sub Note pitch transforming plus Velocity Add/Sub control so you can set different velocity levels for each midi voice (Fig.3 below). The main blue On/Off "pedal style" can be controlled via CC12. The "Pitch 1/2" numerical faders are "pan style" so you can set negative value say "-12" to transpose one octave lower etc.

By the way this is not my best Harmonizer, that's why it is labeled as "Easy" and it is free, so you can open the Macro & the sub macros and self-teach. You can not tweak the Pitch transpose knobs in real time cause you risk to have note hanging/sustain notes ! Screenset # 9 retrieves the Harmonizer as Float while Screenset # 8 retrieves the Harmonizer as a open Environment layer (the tools is cabled thru the layers to Instr 1) ! You can import the Harmonizer layer into other other Logic projects as well.

Apart of the "Easy Harm" I have developed an "Advanced 5 Voices Harmonizer " which supports such smart features like realtime transposition control (behaving as the hardware synths), voice solo/mute, voice delay humanization, realtime controlled semitone voice scaller, Presets Manager supporting realtime Program change of the Harmonizer presets plus internal clipboard for copy/paste presets management etc.

Regards,

A.G

ag_easy_harm.png.8ccfc131b93406642b0d8e5ea330df78.png

pitch_split.png.efd9d29784f66daa78fd4ea9006f19bd.png

note_as_cond.png.bc484ac0bd9801655f4765876d4dc132.png

ag_templates_1.zip

Thanks Scandor I appreciate you helping me out, mega cool. I'm now clear on the Operation vs Condition function and the lack of need for the Root Note transformer but I do have a few questions regarding Template 1. I see you created an Instrument in the Environment window that now shows up in the arrange window, but I'm unclear on what the object labeled 'Y' is and what function it serves?. When I click on the 'Y' nothing pops up. Also is the 'Notes Top Cable' object like the 'Root Note' transformer I had set up?. Also what is the purpose of the monitor, is it only for visual representation? Because I unplugged everything to the Monitor and routed the cable straight to the Inst 1 Channel and I hear the same 3 layer octave effect.. I also deleted the "Notes Top Cable' and routed 'Instrument Oct' to 'Y' and I get the same 3 layer effect.. I uploaded my version...

Template 2 looks way cleaner. I'm going to have to look into Chord Memorizers and other objects in the Environment window

Template 3 is out of my league. I'm going to have to look into this Harmonizer and get back to you...

Octaver via Transformers edit.zip

Hi,

I'm going to answer in a brief to your questions...

I see you created an Instrument in the Environment window that now shows up in the arrange window,

I have created that Instrument as an input object. For example one day you may need to use a few external midi devices set to different midi channels and you will need to switch Logic into a "Multiplayer" mode via the Settings>Recordings>"Autodemix if multichannels..." so Logic can channelize the incoming midi data ch.1-16. In this scenario you have to set the Instrument tracks to the correspondent midi channel - i.e you can set the Instrument channel you need. As you see the Transformer does not support such setting if you assign it directly as a track Input.

There is one more idea of using an Instrument as a track input. When you work in the arrange and select the Octaver track you will have an Instrument onboard control options in the Inspector like you have selected the Software Instrument where the Environment setup is patched to. So you can use the Inspector instrument Transpose, Level fader, Pan etc. For example the Level & Pan will send CC7 & 10 to the Software Instrument and it will response to that.

but I'm unclear on what the object labeled 'Y' is and what function it serves?

This is an Ornament object so you can not open it. The Ornament object is very convenient for patching multiple cables, cause it does not do any internal processing like the other objects ! The label "Y" means "Y Splitter" or "Junction Splitter". It is used when you need to duplicate a given path to multiple directions following the next rules:

1. Each cable duplicates the message path.

2. The duplication message order is Top to Bottom cables. For example in some scenario you need to send a Note event thru a "Gate" say a Cable Switcher. You need three messages as follow: one to open the Gate (the Cable switcher), the second is the original Note event which has to pass thru the Gate and one message which must close the Gate.

In this case you use just a single Note and an "Y" splitter patching 3 cables from it as follows:

a) Top cable (1st duplication message order) is cabled to a Transformer which Transforms the Note event into a message which matches the Cable Switcher Input definition so this message has to open the Gate.

b) The second "Y" cable (2nd duplication message order) is cabled directly to the Channel Splitter carrying the original Note event which must pass thru the Gate.

c) The 3rd cable is patched to another Transformer after that to the Cable Switcher. This cable path has to close the Gate.

It is just an example and as you see we use just a single Note event to do all the processing. In this lesson the most IMPORTANT thing is the "Y" split message ORDER !

Regarding your setup I use a "Transformer" set to Condition Splitter thru Top cable, so I bypass the Note events ONLY to the "Y" splitter which duplicates the Note events ONLY to 3 different paths ! (Read about the Transformer Cond. Splitter below).

I also deleted the "Notes Top Cable' and routed 'Instrument Oct' to 'Y' and I get the same 3 layer effect

This is very BAD - why ? ( you can delete that transformer but you have to re-program the Transformers labeled as "M+12 & M+24" - read the Note below that ).

The main "Notes Top Cable" Transformer purpose is to split out the Note events ONLY cause you need to duplicate the note events into 3 paths via the "Y" splitter and transpose them to the correspondent octaves you want.

The bottom Transformer cable brings all other midi events like Controller (Modulation, Expression, Volume etc), Program Change etc directly to the Output (in my scenario the Monitor object) or to the Software Instrument.

This way you DO NOT duplicate the other events via the "Y" splitter cause I do not need that. You have deleted the "Notes Top Cable Transformer" which means you duplicate all other events. If you try to move a Modulation by one value say 5 to 6, then you will see in the monitor three CC1 messages using same value 6 OK ? Such duplications may stack your Environment setups one day !

Note: If you decide to delete the "Notes Top Cable" Transformer you have to re-program the "M+12 & M+24" to pass thru the Note events only and filter the "other" events. Open "M+12 & M+24" and change their transformer mode to "Apply Operation Filter non-matching Events" !

Also what is the purpose of the monitor, is it only for visual representation?

In this scenario yes, I have patched it so you can have an idea what is going on as well as it behaves as an Output sum object. As you see you can delete its cable which is patched to the Software Instrument and cable it to another instrument which is easy and fast. If you decide to cable the setup to another Instrument you will find that you have to patch much more cables etc. Your setup is quite simple but if you create more serious Environment setups you will need an Output object.

Regarding the Monitor objects...

They are recommended for making prototypes so the developer can follow the message order, information etc. I have seen that many Pro Environment developers leave the Monitor objects in their final version or use them as "Y" splitters.

As a long time Environment expert I may say that is is a good idea to optimize the "Final" environment version and remove the monitoring "Monitor" objects or replace all the Monitors with Ornament objects when they behave as "Y" splitters.

Regarding my deep researches the Monitor object consumes lots of Environment resources which are essential with big environment setups. Another reason is the Cable Limitation problem. A given message can travel thru 397 cables only (regarding my tests) and after the 398 cable it will disappear.

So if you like you can replace the Monitor with an ornament so you can easily cable the setup to another instruments. As I said your setup is very simple and the Monitor is OK in this scenario as well.

I uploaded my version...

I can not try it cause I'm away of my place these days, but I see what you have done regarding your explanation. I hope you can see that you have to revert to my version regarding my notes above. :D

Regards,

A.G

Thanks Scandor. Lots of info here, it will take me some time to get my head around it. I'm getting confused about 'Multiplayer Mode'. I've never used this before. I don't use any live gear only software and from what I can tell Multiplay mode is for recording multiple inputs onto multiple tracks like recording a drum kit to kick , snare, hats etc. However in my Environment I am making another transformer so that I can play 2 Instruments in the Arrange window. Inst 1 (esx24 piano) and Inst 2 (es2). I had this set up my own way but now I'm second guessing if it's set up correctly.

With some of this other stuff regarding Gates, Cable Switchers and the Notes Top Cable i'm getting really lost

I'm going to send you a pm, I have an idea that might make things easier for us

Mainroom House Template.zip