Using Roland SH-201 synth and Kawai MP6 as midi instruments

wizard55

I am new to Logic Pro 9

I have attached my config

I connected Roland SH-201 synth via USB and was ok recording a midi track

I then added Kawai MP6 digital piano as MIDI via USB, but getting weird outcome....like when I play synth it gives me piano sound and synth and vice versa when I play Kawai DP............I read that I cannot connect 2 midis and use in arranger. I dont understand how I can add 2nd midi................can anyone help please

AlsStudioSetup.thumb.jpg.268cc0fc075412fcb4b7953b7c9788c8.jpg

Edited by wizard55

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do.

2 things to trigger two different sounds you will need to set your keyboard to different MIDI channels, and configure your channel strips to receive on those channels.

I don't see what purpose the Mackie mixer serves, if you have enough audio inputs on your interface.

8)

Hi thanks for response, the audio interface only allows dedicated guitar single jack input and 2 further 1/4" inputs (Left and right) for one of my keyboards......... (no other inputs exist) I will check what you have said this evening...........when I get home from work. Thanks again

2 things to trigger two different sounds you will need to set your keyboard to different MIDI channels, and configure your channel strips to receive on those channels

This is correct but it will not work without switching Logic into Multiplayer mode and arming both tracks...

OP, go to the Logic Project Settings->Recordings and enable the "Autodemix if multichannel ..." option which will put Logic into Multiplayer/live mode so it can channelize the incoming midi data.

Do not forget to arm ® both midi tracks in the Arrange !

Problem still remains............. I need to spend more time on this as I read about a similar problem someone had using SONAR rather than LOGIC. Problem seems to be with the MP6 OS. I upgraded the OS a long long time ago but apparently with the MP6 you also need to perform a RESET (nor forgetting to backup any USER patches etc........ to a memory stick) The MP6 is a brilliant DP but I hope this problem can be resolved............. I will update when I have further news on my progress.... :cry:

Regards , Al Griffiths

I found this extract from a user called Talaf on 'Piano World' forum.......... I will give this a go as soon as can. If any one has any success then please post your results:

Start of extract:__________________________________________

I wanted to use the MP6 to play MIDI (and MP3 but that it does very well) backing tracks. If you load a midi file from USB, it seems you can only have 2 tracks. But, if you use the MP6 as a tone generator, you can use 16 tracks and you can record the output AND your playing directly from the MP6 - which can't play a MIDI/MP3 file and record at the same time, at least I don't see how. So this is pretty nice! There are some quirks though :

You have to put the "MIDI Receive mode" to "Multi" in the system options. This is indicated in the manual.

BUT, the program changes way of working puzzled me. I don't have much experience with MIDI stuff. If I read the manual correctly, there are 2 cases for program changes, which depends on the "Program change mode" being "Panel" or "Multi". There is a Program Change Mode in the options, but the manual states that it's used when _sending_ MIDI program change, and the choices are "Panel/GM" and not "Panel/Multi". I found it all very confusing and spent alot of time fiddling around sending MIDI controls manually. In the end I got around it with the options :

--> Set on the MP6 (SYSTEM) Rcv Mode = Multi

--> Set on the MP6 (SYSTEM) Prg Mode = Panel

--> Use the "Program change mode=Panel" in the MIDI program list (section 12.3 in the manual) to determine the CC to send

--> Send in order :

----> Bank MSB (CC0)

----> Bank LSB (CC32)

----> Program number (minus 1!)

For the Ambience Drumkit you'd send 0-1-124. Programs are numbered 1-128 in the manual but it looks like the Kawai understands 0-127. I edited these in the MIDI file manually in Reaper too, couldn't get my edition of Band in a Box to send the correct program changes. I still need to try out stuff but the order in which you send the program changes may have some impact too...

End of extract___________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...
I have given up on midi and will set up audio tracks for my instruments. I think the problem is that I connect a synth and a DP into a mixer (no usb connection on mixer) - each key board has a pair of 1/4 jacks. I then output a pair of jacks from the mixer to my audio interface............ I think this may be the problem, as even though I pick up each midi instrument, they both want to work just from Channel 1.................... If I still am doing something wrong then someone please enlighten me