CC11 and East West in Logic

jontah

Hi!

I've been searching around and looking on youtube, googling, even did a search here on the forum to find info about CC11, sure there are ALOT of stuff (too much, would take me days to go through it to get my question answered, therefore I post a new thread about it, sorry for that!)

What I want is actually really simple.

I simply want to assign my modwheel to control breath (isn't CC11 used for that?)

I watched a video about orchestration:

And noticed he used the modwheel for different stuff, i.e. breathcontrol.

I simply want to use my modwheel on my keyboard to control this, how do I set it up? (I googled on the matter and found really old posts from like 2009, 2007 etc, and Logic has changed abit since that, some stuff weren't the same).

He also mentions that East West has dynamic crossfades, how do I control these? (I'm such a noob on this, lol sorry)

Also, what else could I think about in terms of stuff such as CC things in orchestration to make it more natural and realistic? any tips and tricks?

I'm using EAST WEST;

(on a sidenote, if anyone have East West, I have a problem with that too, watch the video here which I did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdnbyI4X9E)

I would so much appreciate the help of this! Thanks alot guys!

Best,

J

I simply want to assign my modwheel to control breath

You can transform the modwheel (MW) to any CC# in Logic - follow the steps below:

1. Open the Environment window and switch it to the "Mixer" layer (it may open the Mixer layer by default)

2. Create a new Transformer object from the "New" menu and cable the transformer to the channel strip instrument you want to transform the MW to - in your scenario East West.

3. Double click the transformer to open it and set it like this:

- Conditions "Status" = Control

- Conditions "Data Byte 1 (Pitch)" = 1

----------------------------------------------------

-Operations "Data Byte 1 (Pitch)"=11 (or any CC# you want to transform the MW to)

4. Select the Transformer and Drag & Drop it onto any track in the Arrange to assign that track to that transformer.

5. When need that transformation just select that track and play/tweak the MW - it will be transformed to the target CC#.

When select the other tracks in the Arrange the MW will behave as MW.

Regards,

A.G

I simply want to assign my modwheel to control breath

You can transform the modwheel (MW) to any CC# in Logic - follow the steps below:

1. Open the Environment window and switch it to the "Mixer" layer (it may open the Mixer layer by default)

2. Create a new Transformer object from the "New" menu and cable the transformer to the channel strip instrument you want to transform the MW to - in your scenario East West.

3. Double click the transformer to open it and set it like this:

- Conditions "Status" = Control

- Conditions "Data Byte 1 (Pitch)" = 1

----------------------------------------------------

-Operations "Data Byte 1 (Pitch)"=11 (or any CC# you want to transform the MW to)

4. Select the Transformer and Drag & Drop it onto any track in the Arrange to assign that track to that transformer.

5. When need that transformation just select that track and play/tweak the MW - it will be transformed to the target CC#.

When select the other tracks in the Arrange the MW will behave as MW.

Regards,

A.G

Cheers alot for this! I also found a similar guide on gearslutz (believe it or not lol):

- Open an Environment window.

- Use the popup at the upper left to go to the layer that contains your Physical Input, Sequencer Input, etc. - usually this layer is called "Click & Ports".

- Under the "New" menu, create a "Transformer" object and double-click the newly-created icon to open the control panel of the Transformer.

- The four columns let you control how the Transformer will alter MIDI data that passes through it, allowing you to select and alter data by Status, Channel, Data Byte 1 (this is CC# in your case), or Data Byte 2 (which would be CC value).

- Column one is for Status; set the top popup to "=" and the bottom popup to "Control" - this means you will be only selecting and altering data that is CC #s, aka MIDI Continuous Controls, aka faders, modwheels, sustain pedal, etc.

- Column two is for selecting by MIDI Channel - leave this set to "All".

- Column three is for Data Byte 1 - in the case of MIDI Notes, this would be note number, in the case of MIDI CCs this would be CC #, aka which knob or fader you want to alter. In your case, set the top popup to "=", and the second popup to "1" - this means you will be altering MIDI CC #1, aka mod wheel.

- At the bottom of the third column you will see a popup that says "Thru" - click on this and change it to "Fix", then set the numerical underneath "Fix" to "11" - this means that the top part of the column is selecting MIDI CC #1 and the bottom half of the column is changing 1 to 11 (aka "Data Equals 1 so Fix it to 11").

- Leave the fourth column to "Thru". This is for selecting or altering a range of VALUES, for instance changing the scaling of a CC or velocity. (Third column is note number or CC number, fourth column is note velocity or CC value.)

- Turn on the checkbox labelled "Filter Duplicate Events".

- Insure that the popup at the very top of the Transformer says "Apply operation and let non-matching events pass thru" - this popup controls what the Transformer will do to data other than that which is being altered, among other things. Inspect these options as they can be very important to how the thing operates.

- Now you've got to cable this Transformer into your data stream - usually you'd click on the desired port on Physical Input object and drag to the Transformer, and then click on the Transformer and drag to the Sequencer Input object. You should now see cables connecting Physical Input>Transformer>Sequencer Input. You may have to remove previously existing cables that went from Physical Input>Sequencer Input to avoid duplicate data entering the sequencer engine.

That should work. When you move your modwheel you should see CC#11 at the Sequencer Input.

Making an on-screen switch (which could be controlled by incoming MIDI events like a button or switch pedal) is possible, but I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how to do it without booting Logic and looking at the screen. The above was from memory so please forgive if any errors...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"4. Select the Transformer and Drag & Drop it onto any track in the Arrange to assign that track to that transformer.

5. When need that transformation just select that track and play/tweak the MW - it will be transformed to the target CC#."

@ point #4 - Do I drag & drop it into the arrange window or in the mixer and drag a cable from the transformer there to the track I want to control? (if I drop it onto the arrange window it will be visible, just like a track, basically an own channelstrip, right?)

@ point #5 - What do you mean here? Sorry if I misunderstood, but whenever I want to apply the breathcontrol, do I click on this track to make it active or what? how do I then know what instrument it is controlling and where will the breathcontrol automation data be registered?

Also I'm wondering if it's possible to save these settings so I don't have to re-do them all the time when starting a new project? IS that recommended to do?

THANKS alot for the answer so far! Really appreciate it!

Best regards,

J

Oh I got it to work! But how do I set it to Breathcontrol instead of velocity expression? Or more importantly, how do I assign it to another expression? Can't expression be anything, really? or is it always bound to this hidden volume control?

EDIT: I did it differently, I did it in "Clicks & ports" and then dragged it out in the arrange window, is it better to put it in the mixer? if so, why?

Jontah,

Please do not publish replies gathered from other forums or Internet here - it is hard to follow so long info etc (at least I do not have time for reading all that).

There are two scenarios of using such Transformers:

1. "Input Transformer" which behaves as a Global one cabled between the Physical Input and the Sequencer object in the Click & Ports Environment layer. For example it can transform MW into CC11 but it will be global for the all tracks cause it is patched before the Sequencer object. To bypass the "Input Transformer" you need to add a Cable switcher etc.

2. "Local Transformer". You create a transformer object, create a track for it in the Arrange and cable it to any channel strip. In this scenario you select the "Local Transformer" track, and the midi processing is related to its cable destination Channel Strip only !

I'm wondering if it's possible to save these settings so I don't have to re-do them all the time when starting a new project?

There are two methods to use any Environment setup with other projects:

1. You can save a given song as a Start-up Logic template.

2. You can gather the Environment objects into a new Environment layer (pack them in a Macro as well) and save that project. If you need to use that Environment setup into another project you can import that layer into the new project via - Environment menu Options ->Import Environment Layer etc. For example I have a Logic song template which behaves as a giant Environment Library containing different Complex Midi tools placed into different layers, so if I need any of them I can easily import them into any song.

Great stuff! Thanks alot!

Although I did not understand the thing with local transformer and input transformer.

Do I:

Get into the enviroment, click "new > transformer", then drag it out in the arrange window, then cable it to the channel that I'm going to use, lets say breathcontrol on?

If so, do I NEED to have both tracks on "arm record" by pressing the "R" button? or could I just have one of the tracks on arm record (the east west track?)

Or did I missunderstand it all? So basically, in order control each individual track of what expression it should have, I should use the "local transformer" option, right?

And incase I want it on all my tracks instead of having to assign it to each track, I do it the other way, clicks&ports, and assign it all there as you describe in the "input transformer", right?

On top of that, how do I control what type of expression that is going to be triggered with the CC11?

For instance, I want "breathcontrol" and not expression volume.

Is it possible to assign that? Are there different expressions or is it always ONLY bound to this hidden volume?

Lastly, I gotta ask to really get a hang of this:

what exactly is breathcontrol? is it just volume increasement such as a crescendo?

Really confused about all of these!

Yet again, amazing help. Thanks alot Scandor!

And my apologizes for pasting from other forums, sorry!

Best,

J

Hi J,

I think you have got about 90% of all that or more congr!

I do not have so much time right now so I decided to export a non-voice quick video showing the two types Transformer setups.

Download the video from the attachment and watch.

You will see that you can set the Transformer Data Byte 1 (Pitch) Operation to any CC# like CC11 expression, CC2 breath-control etc.

Regarding the breath-control search Google and you will find out lots of info about the musical instruments which uses such hardware breath-control midi convertors/tranducers, midi info, software or hardware instruments which use such control etc.

Regards,

A.G

BTW. You will note that I have cabled a Standard Instrument (set to No Port) before the Local Transformer type and created a track for that Instrument instead of a Transformer track. This is why cause one day you may need to switch Logic to Multiplayer mode via the "Autodemix by midi channel" and use a few external keyboards set to different midi channels. In this scenario you need an Instrument set to a given midi channel to channelize the incoming midi OK ?

inp_loc_trans_video.zip