Why is my automation ahead of itself?

wilx

Specifically, setting 'bypass effect' automation on any track is behaving oddly.

Whatever automation I set happens about a bar and a half before it's supposed to.

So say I've automated a distortion plug-in to start on bar4, beat3 for two beats.

What happens is the distortion comes on - for the correct duration, but starts and ends earlier than it should.

What's going wrong!?

EDIT; tried the same stuff in a new Logic song, and the problem did not occur.

I'd still like to find out what's happening though, as I want to carry on using the project in question.

• 2 months later...

This problem has just resurfaced, this time with Volume automation on the master output track.

I've set an automation dip from normal volume to silence, then back up to normal again, but when playing the track Logic dips and raises the volume about half a second earlier than it should. The volume fader falls before the SPL reaches the automation dip, and rises before the SPL reaches the automation raise.

I'm totally stumped, and it's a cripplingly annoying problem, so anyone with any suggestions, please chip in!

Thanks.

The song starts at 1:1:1:1, and there's nothing particularly significant or different about this project and the couple of others that have started to exhibit this fault.

Is it worth ringing 'official' support? It's as ridiculous as it is frustrating, but I can't think of any possible cause...

The problem doesn't happen on other tracks though - just on the output track.

Aside from this, I have Solo buttons enabled in all tracks, but whenever I load one up they aren't there, despite saving the track with them in. Logic can be so bloody frustrating at times!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 9 years later...
HOW ABOUT the remote possibilly-bob-ety that there are some LATENCY inducing plugins inserted on Aux channels? Weren't there some issues with latency compensation on buses, in conjunction with automation?

This right here!

I also experienced that the automation for bypass parameter responded ahead of time instead of on time.

Turned out I had only set Accurate Automation to. "Volume, Pan, Sends" and needed to turn on "Volume, Pan, Sends, Plug-In Parameters"

Solution: Set Sample Accurate Automation to: "Volume, Pan, Sends, Plug-In Parameters". [found under Preferences>General]

You may also need to have your Plug-in latency set to Compensation: "All". I am not sure about this, so don't hang me up on it, but it works for me. [Also found under Preferences>General]

• 4 months later...

Damn, I'm getting this problem still in 10.7.

It doesn't seem to matter what I set Sample Accurate Automation to, my automation plays about ¾ bar too early! I'm trying to finalise a mix so there's like a billion plugins and busses. It's most obvious with mutes but it's happening with delay throws etc too. The wierd thing is I could have sworn it wasn't doing this a coupe of weeks ago, but now it's stuck like this no matter if I restart...

• 1 year later...