No Visual Record of Audio Regions [SOLVED]

jeffkingfisher

I am working with an audio track within which the first few regions have become invisible. I don't mean visual representations of the audio waves are invisible - I mean there is no visual record of the regions whatsoever, no colored boxes. When I play back, however, the audio material plays. I can solo the track, and the regions sound - I can mute the track and they mute. I can copy the whole track and paste it into another, and they still sound - and there is still no visual record in the new track. This is crucial, because I can't get to anything to edit it. I am in the most recently updated version of Logic 9, on a Mac Pro dual Intel 2.8 with 32 gigs of ram, running 64 bit, and have searched high and low to no avail. Any help would be appreciated - I am at my wit's end.

Hi David - thanks for your quick response. If I try to drag through the area to select it, nothing selects. If, however, I cut and paste the track from beginning to end, then the invisible yet audible audio copies to the new track. It's very strange, like there's a ghost in the machine, very odd to hear audio on a soloed track when there's nothing in the window.

Stranger still: If I copy only the regions to the right of strangeland - the regions in question are within the first dozen bars of the song - the invisible audio *still* copies to the new track, even though I didn't select it to copy - I can't get rid of it! Smells buggy to me...

The only thing different that I've done since working on this song is to use Melodyne, which I just bought. The invisible audio has had Melodyne effectively applied, I can hear it.The Melodyne window, however - which shows all the audio that was transferred into it as it goes by - it is as blank during those bars as the arrange window. Throughout the rest of the track, all is well with Melodyne.

Next step, I suppose, is to root through the Audio Bin and see if there's anything there - a laborious task since I don't know the names of the samples! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Couple of suggestions, in order that you should try them...

1) Open the Bin, CMD-A (select all) regions. Then, Main Logic Menu Bar: Options > Audio > Refresh Overview(s). Any luck?

2) change screensets. Do you see your regions now?

3) open a second, "separate" window in addition to your arrange window (i.e., a separate score editor, event list, piano roll, markers, whatever). Now close the arrange window itself. (Having that other window open will prevent Logic from asking you if you want to close out your song when you close the arr. window). Then, hit CMD-1 to create a new arrange window. Do you see your regions?

4) in your arrangement, do a Select All (CMD-A) and pack all of your tracks into a folder. Now go into the folder. Do you see your regions?

And if those don't work, don't blame the messenger. Still, I'm boarding up the windows now in case a fly ball comes my way... :lol:

If none of the above worked..

I would try creating a blank audio region on the invisible track using the pencil tool.

Make sure overlap is selected in the Drag menu.

resize the new region to about the size of the invisible one

From the Region Menu choose merge regions/ or merge regions per track

I would also try the conversion options that are in the Audio Menu

I'd also try it in a new track to see what happens.

If that did nothing I would try a bounce in place and then perhaps bounce/export the audio to see if I can drop it back into a new track.

curious what ends up working....

Thanks for your help, folks. I think the problem lies with Melodyne, or between Melodyne and Logic. I was mistaken before - the invisible regions *do* show up in the Melodyne window, just nowhere else. I tried all of the above - the only thing that had an effect was bounce in place: when I did that the invisible regions became inaudible ones as well - everything went away (nothing lost, all backed up.) I guess I'll try Melodyne support tomorrow and see if they know anything - I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

So... You haven't answered my question?

If there's no sound when melodyne is bypassed then it simply sounds like you've deleted your regions but Melodyne is still playing back the audio it had recorded from them. No bug, just an accidental region deletion. All your descriptions support that theory. And if I'm right, none of the other suggestions are going to help you because you do not have any hidden regions: your audio is coming out of the Melodyne plugin.

If there's no sound when melodyne is bypassed then it simply sounds like you've deleted your regions but Melodyne is still playing back the audio it had recorded from them. No bug, just an accidental region deletion. All your descriptions support that theory. And if I'm right, none of the other suggestions are going to help you because you do not have any hidden regions: your audio is coming out of the Melodyne plugin.

That's it.

From Transferring audio material to Melodyne Plugin:

During playback, those passages that have been transferred to Melodyne will be played back by Melodyne; all others by the DAW. In other words, wherever it has material to play back, Melodyne’s signal replaces that of the original track.

Yes, anyone using Melodyne should be (or, eventually, will be) aware of this. Also because any editing you may do on the original audio (if the regions are still there) will not have any effect on what you hear... this can be easy to miss, especially if the audio is already transferred to Melodyne, but not (yet) edited in any way, so it still sounds like the original...

Thanks folks, for all of the above. I must have indeed somehow deleted those regions in Logic after I'd transferred them into Melodyne. This didn't occur to me because I'd misunderstood how Melodyne works – I didn't realize Melodyne *replaced* audio with it's own version, I thought it *processed* audio once you told it how. I did read the manual, but my own preconceived notions won out - my bad. I'll figure something from here - thanks again for helping me through! ~Jeff K.

• 9 years later...