list of instruments open [SOLVED]

hungrydave

thanks david.

Looks like it is making new instruments each time. Is there a way to assign a track to an existing instrument. Like if i'm using a drum instrument, then i might want to put kick and snare on a different track to hi hats, but i still only need them to play the same instrument.

Is there a way to assign a track to an existing instrument. Like if i'm using a drum instrument, then i might want to put kick and snare on a different track to hi hats, but i still only need them to play the same instrument.

Yes, choose Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument.

Interesting!

I thought that would have just created a new track with the same channel strip pulgins and instrument but re- instanciated on the new created track.. :o

Is there a way to assign a track to an existing instrument. Like if i'm using a drum instrument, then i might want to put kick and snare on a different track to hi hats, but i still only need them to play the same instrument.

Yes, choose Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument.

Interesting!

I thought that would have just created a new track with the same channel strip pulgins and instrument but re- instanciated on the new created track.. :o

Me too, that's how it reads in the manual.

The other option is to use multi-output instuments (scroll down to "Using Multi-Output Instruments in the Mixer"): http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=27%26section=12%26tasks=true

Not sure what you mean - but it creates a new track assigned to the same channel strip (so no new channel strip), as the name implies.

To create a new track assigned to a new channel strip with the same plug-ins, you would choose Track > New with Duplicate Settings.

It's easy to understand the behavior of those various functions:

• Create a new empty project with one track.

• Open the Mixer.

• Try the various new track creation options in the Arrange area.

The other option is to use multi-output instuments

That would be exactly the opposite of what the OP requested: it would allow you to route the sound of the instrument to multiple channel strips. The OP wants the MIDI data spread out over multiple tracks, all routed to the same single channel strip. He said:

i might want to put kick and snare on a different track to hi hats, but i still only need them to play the same instrument.

So... unless by "track" he really meant "channel strip", multi-output instruments is not the answer.

To create a new track assigned to a new channel strip with the same plug-ins, you would choose Track > New with Duplicate Settings.

Oh yeah, that's what I was reading about in the manual :oops:

The other option is to use multi-output instuments

That would be exactly the opposite of what the OP requested: it would allow you to route the sound of the instrument to multiple channel strips. The OP wants the MIDI data spread out over multiple tracks, all routed to the same single channel strip.

Unless the OP meant channel strip when he said tracks, of course.... which is a possibility. :wink:

Of course. I just hate the thought of my midi drum tracks being spread out over several tracks! :shock: I'd have to select the regions on all the drum tracks every time I wanted to know which "hands" the "drummer" had free to do stuff.

Of course. I just hate the thought of my midi drum tracks being spread out over several tracks! I'd have to select the regions on all the drum tracks every time I wanted to know which "hands" the "drummer" had free to do stuff.

I hear ya! But right now i'm writing salsa, so 10 hands minimum is well within the range of realistic sound :-)

Of course. I just hate the thought of my midi drum tracks being spread out over several tracks! I'd have to select the regions on all the drum tracks every time I wanted to know which "hands" the "drummer" had free to do stuff.

I hear ya! But right now i'm writing salsa, so 10 hands minimum is well within the range of realistic sound :-)

Fair do's! :D

Not sure what you mean - but it creates a new track assigned to the same channel strip (so no new channel strip), as the name implies.

It's easy to understand the behavior of those various functions:

• Create a new empty project with one track.

• Open the Mixer.

• Try the various new track creation options in the Arrange area.

My! My! I guess that after reading those thousands of pages, I lost that part somewhere or misunderstood it... :shock:

So if I understand well, that procedure explained above (Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument) is like creating some kind of MIDI stem or splitting a MIDI track into parallel ones, all routed to the same output.

Hmmm! That opens possibilities... :idea:

Thanx for the clarifications! I realize that Logic has subtleties I was not expecting! :D

My! My! I guess that after reading those thousands of pages, I lost that part somewhere or misunderstood it... :shock:

So if I understand well, that procedure explained above (Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument) is like creating some kind of MIDI stem or splitting a MIDI track into parallel ones, all routed to the same output.

Thanx for the clarifications! I realize that Logic has subtleties I was not expecting! :D

Yes, kind of.

You can see it as different Tracks routed to the same Channel Strip.

You got it.

Yup, for example you could have ... two audio tracks routed to the same audio channel strip, one containing the audio regions and the other containing MIDI region automation.....:

799302547_Picture3.png.a9d5515ec3021968cf0cf16c4c60c915.png

Yup, for example you could have ... two audio tracks routed to the same audio channel strip, one containing the audio regions and the other containing MIDI region automation.....:

Or you could have every drum on a different track... or you could have different MIDI channels trigger different parts of a Multi-timbral instrument (sounds familiar? ;) )... Or you could have different versions of an audio take (old comping method)... or you could... 8)