CLAVINOVA USER needs Logic help from other CVP owners ...

Mike Stevens

Hello , this is my first post here , I hope I have posted in the right place ....

Mods/admin , feel free to move to the right location ...

First , my story .... Are you sitting comfortably .... VERY comfortably ??

I am using Logic Express ( Version 9.1.7.( 1700.57 ) (32-bitI) and I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 503 , which is the only keyboard I have ...

I have it connected to a MOTU midi interface , which in turn is connected directly to my iMac 27" ...

My midi connections , midi out and midi in , I believe , are correct , as I can download midi files from the Yamaha website and , of course the IDC ( Internet Direct Connection ) via an Ethernet cable on my router ..

As I understand from a phone call to Yamaha Tech services , the Clavinova is capable of 16 midi channel playback ( 16 different sounds on 16 different channels .... )

... And unfortunately it is not possible within the Clavinova to build a 'Patch' ( as you can on the SY99 /SY 77 ) .... or any other Multi Timbral synth ...

According to the tech team , I have to send a prog change , via Logic Express , to the CVP for the correct sounds to be played back ..... When I had my SY99 , I just sent a sysex to the sequencer in bar 1 and things were good ...

With my CVP , this doesn't happen ... When I record from the CVP into Logic Express , I can see the data going in , but on playback , you see the data going out , but there is no sound ...

I am not exactly sure of the questions I need to ask , please bear with me ....

I'll start with what I would like to do ....

I want to arrange multi channel backing tracks and production music for vocalists and other professionals ...

Then save to .wav/mp3/CD , the finished product .. Using only my CVP .... I prefer the sounds in that as opposed to the many that are in Logic Express ....

So here's the questions ... Sorry , I'm a bit pedantic with tech talk .....

1 . How do I get the voice data from the CVP into Logic , so that I can pick and choose what sound

and channel I want ( ie.. Grand Piano on ch.1, Fretless Bass on ch.2 , Strings on ch.3 , etc ) ?

2 . Is there some window where I can see all the voices ? If so , how do I set it up ?

3 . How do I manually set the CVP up so that it listens to what I have recorded and plays back ?

( see 6 , below )

4 . How can I get Logic Express to communicate with my CVP ? - I have the KORG Legacy KLCDE

Digital Synth VST set , and it works correctly with what I physically play on the CVP , of

course, I have the volume on the CVP off .....

5 . Which is the best connection to use to my mac - midi interface or Ethernet / USB cable

plugged directly into the rear of my iMac ?

6 . What are the settings I have to change on the CVP so that it responds correctly with Logic

Express .... ?

-------------

If you have any questions , please bear in mind that I am a geek in training ,

so basic English will have to do for me ... I am not very technical minded !

( And a step - by - step guide , if possible , would be very helpful ... )

C

Thank you for your patience , hopefully my future posts will be a lot shorter .... ! !

Kindest Regards ,

Mike Stevens

1, your CVP manual should have a table where it tells you the program numbers/bank select that correspond to different sounds. This ought to be a lot easier than dealing with sysex

2, I'm not sure whether your talking about logic here or your CVP

3, I don't know the CVP OS

4, you are comparing two different things here. In the one case, you are sending MIDI data from the CVP (acting as a MIDI controller) to a VST plugin on you computer; and in the other you are wanting to do the reverse - send data from logic to the CVP. I'm not sure what relevance this has except to tell you that at least one of your MIDI cables is working :-)

5, try either, use the one that works. The USB connection still deals with MIDI data, it just send it down a USB cable

6, ?

Okay, if i make a more general suggestion, your post is confusing as you're asking several different things at the same time. I suggest we isolate the issues one by one. The first thing would be to see if you're sending MIDI out ok from logic/your souncard/your midi cable.

MIDI cables

We know that one of your MIDI cables works, so that's a start.

Test your other cable/s by switching them and see if you can still play your VST plugins from the CVP. Once we know that your MIDI cables are functioning then...

Consult your CVP manual. I'm not familiar with the CVP range, but if it has a screen and a large OS, there might be a place where it tells you if it's receiving MIDI information of any type/channel. If it is, then we know that the problem is with the program/bank/channel settings. Another way to test this would be if you have any other MIDI external gear, see if it's receiving MIDI

Make a new track in logic for external MIDI, enter some continuous notes in the piano roll that range high to low and loop that section, experiment with the channel and program settings settings in the inspector

Hello , this is my first post here , I hope I have posted in the right place ....

Mods/admin , feel free to move to the right location ...

First , my story .... Are you sitting comfortably .... VERY comfortably ??

I am using Logic Express ( Version 9.1.7.( 1700.57 ) (32-bitI) and I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 503 , which is the only keyboard I have ...

I have it connected to a MOTU midi interface , which in turn is connected directly to my iMac 27" ...

My midi connections , midi out and midi in , I believe , are correct , as I can download midi files from the Yamaha website and , of course the IDC ( Internet Direct Connection ) via an Ethernet cable on my router ..

IDC Is a feature to connect you with the Yamaha server without the need of a computer to d/l goodies for your CVP... MIDI from your MOTU is what does the connection between you Mac/Logic and CVP...

As I understand from a phone call to Yamaha Tech services , the Clavinova is capable of 16 midi channel playback ( 16 different sounds on 16 different channels .... )

... And unfortunately it is not possible within the Clavinova to build a 'Patch' ( as you can on the SY99 /SY 77 ) .... or any other Multi Timbral synth ...

According to the tech team , I have to send a prog change , via Logic Express , to the CVP for the correct sounds to be played back ..... When I had my SY99 , I just sent a sysex to the sequencer in bar 1 and things were good ...

With my CVP , this doesn't happen ... When I record from the CVP into Logic Express , I can see the data going in , but on playback , you see the data going out , but there is no sound ...

You have to make sure that the MIDI signal coming out of Logic reaches your CVP. This means that your MOTU should be set accordingly to route that MIDI signal properly from Logic to the CVP and that the CVP is also set to react (read to be on the same MIDI channel)...

I am not exactly sure of the questions I need to ask , please bear with me ....

I'll start with what I would like to do ....

I want to arrange multi channel backing tracks and production music for vocalists and other professionals ...

Then save to .wav/mp3/CD , the finished product .. Using only my CVP .... I prefer the sounds in that as opposed to the many that are in Logic Express ....

Regarding MIDI recording the following would give you a good insight of Logic possibilities:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=18

Depending of the MIDI implementation of your CVP I see 2 options:

First is to go via the multi-timbral approach via the Environment:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=37%26section=4%26tasks=true

And creating audio tracks (in Logic) according to the available audio ouputs from your CVP.

Or creating for each part recording, a virtual instrument track using the External Instrument plugin approach:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=10%26section=10%26tasks=true

... The latter method could induce some latency issues...

1 . How do I get the voice data from the CVP into Logic , so that I can pick and choose what sound

and channel I want ( ie.. Grand Piano on ch.1, Fretless Bass on ch.2 , Strings on ch.3 , etc ) ?

Providing that you have solved the MIDI connection issue between your CVP and Logic, if SysEx data transfer is implemented in CVP, issuing a voice patch transfer from CVP, while in record mode in Logic should do the trick. Ifnot, you would have to record (or create) a program change in Logic.

2 . Is there some window where I can see all the voices ? If so , how do I set it up ?

Again depending on your CVP MIDI implementation, youu could check at the following:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=10%26section=10%26tasks=true

3 . How do I manually set the CVP up so that it listens to what I have recorded and plays back ? ( see 6 , below )

4 . How can I get Logic Express to communicate with my CVP ? - I have the KORG Legacy KLCDE

Digital Synth VST set , and it works correctly with what I physically play on the CVP , of

course, I have the volume on the CVP off ....

MIDI setup issue has to be solved first. See above. The MIDI port and channel has to be corresponding betwwen your CVP and Logic...

5 . Which is the best connection to use to my mac - midi interface or Ethernet / USB cable

plugged directly into the rear of my iMac ?

Unless you plan to create a network of computers I would opt for the MOTU/USB/MIDI route...

However, others have different point of view in that regard:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85562&p=447369&hilit=Midi+lan#p447369

6 . What are the settings I have to change on the CVP so that it responds correctly with Logic

Express .... ?

Sorry for that one, you will have to check in your CVP user manual, again, check in the MIDI section...

Thanks for the replies , it looks as though I will have my work cut out for the next few days....

The CVP , for me is a fantastic piece of kit , and it is so annoying that it doesn't want to play in Logic ... Hopefully , with your suggestions , this will soon be resolved .... One way or another !

Atlas 007 , thanks for taking the time to detail stuff for me , I appreciate it.....

Hungrydave , your suggestion to try making a new track with external midi and looping it ... I have tried this many times , but to no avail ... still no sound - Which leads me to think it could actually be the midi cableing , and a check of the CVP's transmit and receive settings .... Deep within the midi setup on the CVP I have found the TX/RX monitors , which at the moment , show output data , but not input data .... So , cabling first , then I can get stuck into Logic ....

One other question , will the alterations I am going to make in Logic affect my Korg KLCDE software synth plugin as this only needs midi in .... .?

I was going to say ' Wish me luck .... ' but I think ' pray for me ' would be more appropriate !

Of course , I will update you on progress , it just might take a little time !

Thanks guys !

Regards ...

Mike

1. If you are using MIDI cables make sure that you have 2 connected to the MOTU. One should go from the MIDI out of the CVP to the MIDI in of the MOTU (presumably you have this done already if you can play the Korg Legacy plugin from the CVP). The other needs to go from the MIDI out of the MOTU to the MIDI in of the CVP (this is so that Logic can play the CVP).

2. If you wish to record the sound from the CVP into Logic you will also need to connect an audio cable from the CVP to the audio input of your computer's audio interface (does your MOTU also have audio connections?). If you want stereo then you will need two auio cables. You will then need to setup a Logic track so that you can hear the CVP via your audio interface and some speakers connected to it.

3. In Logic you will need to setup an external instrument plugin on a software instrument track or you will need to add an audio input (either using an aux input track or simply arming an audio track with the correct input) and also a separate External MIDI track to control the CVP.