Disk is too slow or system overload error?

BrownTown

If your MacBookPro is equipped with a SSD (solid state harddisk) you could disable permanently that SMS feature as indicated in Scott Jackson's post link... This will prevent from happening again. However, if you have a regular (mechanical harddisk) then, you are at risk when disabling it!

If your MacBookPro is equipped with a SSD (solid state harddisk) you could disable permanently that SMS feature as indicated in Scott Jackson's post link... This will prevent from happening again. However, if you have a regular (mechanical harddisk) then, you are at risk when disabling it!

Could disabling it make Logic have less of those errors, if it is not being caused by the SMS? Sometimes, my CPU and HD will be low on the bars, and my MacBook Pro stationary, yet still I'd get the error.

Watch the CPU and HD meters in that song at the point where you get the alert, maybe one is simply reaching the limits of your system. That's what that alert normally means.

Yup.

BrownTown, keep in mind what the error message actually says. "The sudden motion sensor MAY have parked the drive head..." That's not very definitive. Chances are that the message has more to do with slow hard drive access than the computer having been bumped. So, like many Logic error messages, this one is worded in a very vague way (and represents lazy programming on the part of the developer).

@ Mark, I've seen this error message pop up on my system, and mine is a tower model, mounted in a rack in another room on a vibration-isolating mount. :shock: That should tell you something about the veracity of this error message.

Thus, the same old rules apply... you have to be simply-common-sense-careful when you move your computer while it's on and the cover's not closed or asleep. Or, if you're using your laptop in a live playing environment where stage or speaker vibrations are a real possibility, the computer should rest on a shock mount of some kind, such as a simple foam mat (with ventilation provided, blah blah blah).

I tried Logic with the SMS off and still nothing I tried to disable and reenable the SMS and that did not work either. Im afraid i have some type of hardware problem IDK :x All i know is that my computer is definitely not up to par. It's slower than it used to be and my HD bars ride high in logic when there is only an Audio file being played with the midi files.

Moving projects off the system drive gives instant improvements, logic settled straight into the new layout. System disk is smooth. Still getting error message, not as regular, overall performance improvement is very obvious.

Mac feels stable, second year on OS X quite amazing workstation 8-)

Do you really think i need an external HD i have so much room left on my macbook. I ran a Hardware Test on my macbook and nothing came up. I can definitely tell something is wrong with my MB never acted this way before. :cry:

The idea behind running projects off of an external HD is to take the strain off of your MB's disk. Yes, you might have enough room on the drive, but it's possible that you're asking your computer to stream too much data off the internal HD and as a result, you get these error messages.

Now, if you're doing mostly stuff using Logic's own sounds and no 3rd party instrument plugs, it's probably NOT necessary to run projects off of an external. But if you have a lot of audio tracks playing back, including (and especially) frozen tracks, and/or sample-based plugins where you've installed their libraries on the internal drive, indeed you might be asking too much of the hard drive.

So... without knowing more details about your projects, what kinds of material you're playing back and so on, it's hard to say whether you need an external drive or not. So why not provide some details about the type (and number) of tracks you have in one of your problematic songs.

Also...

What sub version of Logic are you running? And what OS? Please indicate these things in your user profile's signature.

Alright so I bought a Seagate external HD 1 Terabyte, I backed up my Mac with Time machine. Ran my project off the HD and no pop up :mrgreen: So I guess it worked lol. However my Computer is really freaking slow. Even typing right now i Get some lag which is really unusual so Im going to use time machine to bring it back up to speed. Wish me luck. And thank you all for your input. This is BrownTown and I'm signing out. Stay Classy SanDiego.