Logic Macro's

Whiterhino7

Hey everyone, I've scoured the internet for an answer to this question but here I am:

I'd like to create a (macro?) within Logic to assign multiple automation parameters from multiple plug-ins (all within the same channel strip), so that when I automate this macro all the automation parameters I have assigned correspond in time. Thats it, that's all. To be slightly more specific, I'd like to automate a few parameters in FM8, or Diva or whatever the instrument, and when this happens I'd like a few other plug-in automation parameters to correspond. This will save me from trying to do this individually, which is a giant waste of time when I'm looking for all these parameters to move in sync.

This is extremely easy to do in Ableton, however I'm not much of an Ableton guy except for a few features, like this one...

If you can help I'd greatly appreciate it thanks guys and gals.

OK so in Logic it would be a bit more convoluted, but it's doable.

You could create a fader in the environment and with transformers copy/convert the data that fader sends to affect multiple parameters.

But for this to work, your instruments have to send some data (or at least be able to respond to some data) when you tweak a parameter. If you connect your instrument channel strip to a monitor (in the environment, New > Monitor), and tweak the desired parameter, do you see anything going on in the monitor?

Keep the monitor just to see what kind of data your plug-in is sending when tweaking a knob. That's the same data you need to send to the channel strip to have it change that parameter. For example if it says F 2 31 10, disregard the last number (which is the parameter value), and program your fader to output Fader data, Channel 2, - 1 - set to 31. Let say you want it to also control another knob that sends F 2 35 87, disregard the 87, and cable your fader into a transformer set to Mode = copy matching events and apply operation. Set the conditions to status = fader, channel = 2, Byte 1 = 31, set the operations to Byte 1 = Fix = 35, leave everything else set to thru.

Auto fader is ok.

Alright so I've got FM8 and my monitor is showing that 2 84 xx corresponds to the cutoff filter on my 'E' operator (I've figured this out by drawing in automation, and the parameter value number in my monitor is coinciding with my automation values). In environment I have my channel going through a monitor, into a fader, then routed back into that channel. The fader is channel 2 and -1-:84, outputing fader data but I cannot get this to manipulate that parameter in FM8. Any ideas?

Thanks again man I really appreciate this.

Could assigning all these parameters (via Learn, or from within the plugin themselves) to respond to a (same) hardware controller (such as modwheel), then create a fader (that sends CC#01) in the Environment so it could be mouse-actuated, do the trick?

Or, how about about copying the created automation curve of one parameter to the other desired ones?

Could assigning all these parameters (via Learn, or from within the plugin themselves) to respond to a (same) hardware controller (such as modwheel), then create a fader (that sends CC#01) in the Environment so it could be mouse-actuated, do the trick?

No, because controller assignments hijack incoming MIDI data before it even reaches the Physical input object. So the MIDI data cannot be generated inside Logic. An alternative would be to generate the MIDI data in Logic, send it out of Logic with an IAC bus and back into Logic to trigger the controller assignments.

Alright guys the help has been fantastic I really appreciate it! I've gotten the impression that doing this within logic internally is just not realistic, which is fine because its great for so many other things just like Pro Tools. What I'm wondering though: Would assigning multiple parameters from within FM8, and channel strip plug-ins for automation simultaneously be easier if I got some sort of external MIDI controller like a trigger finger? Then I could attempt to assign the parameters to one external knob on my MIDI controller. The reason why I'm pursuing this is because a friend of mine is looking for me to program some gritty FM synthesis for him, and some of the sounds really require synchronized automation.

Once again thanks,

Jeff