Upgrade Issues

dave2thec

Hope this wasn't answered somewhere else, apologies if it was.

I'm running Logic 6.3.1 on a G4 733 mhz with 768 mgs RAM and a 40 gb harddrive. I recently purchased Amplitube (which shreds) but I've encountered memory issues when using the effect on multiple audio tracks. So here's a few questions about how I should proceed.

#1 I have a Lacie 160 gb firewire drive - can this be used as a scratch disk?

#2 If I am to upgrade, what order should I go (as I cannot afford everything at once) - max out the RAM or upgrade the processor (and on that note, how much difference is there between a 1.2 ghz upgrade and a 1.4 ghz upgrade?)

Thanks for any and all help.

Hey Dave.

What kind of memory issues, exactly, have you bumped into: Alerts? If yes, what do they say exactly?

I don't recomment upgrading the CPU on a G4. I never recommend upgrading a computer's CPU. Your computer was built around its CPU so all its components (memory, busses, cache, motherboard..) are designed with that CPU in mind. Upgrading to a faster CPU while keeping the slower busses and motherboard is going to yield a limited improvement.

What I strongly suggest thinking about is getting a G5, and then selling the G4. You can find $1,200 G5s in the refurbished store at Apple, and you can probably get $550 from your used machine.

If you can't do that, then consider at least upgrading to a used dual G4.

But anyway, before upgrading, let's try and see if you can't solve the problem on your current machine.

One last question: how many Amplitubes are you trying to run at the same time?

Now I'd love a new G5 (had one at my last job and dug it), but I gotta wait til I get a job first. :oops: I'm not sure what the exact error code was - something along the lines of Can't process... (not sure if Core Audio came before or if I'm just have a confused memory from reading all the other posts). I was using Amplitube on 4 different audio tracks and running the EXSP on 4 other instrument tracks. I went back and froze 2 of the audio tracks and I'm not getting the error anymore. I wonder if I should max out the RAM? And if I were to get a new G5, would my PCI Delta 44 card work in it? I've got Sample Tank on the way (great deal right now - buy Amplitube, get Sample Tank free - or the other way around), so I was wondering if this will add more proverbial wrenches to my works? I could max out the RAM at 1.5 gb pretty cheaply, and I've always been told processor upgrades are crap (although why do they sell so many????!!!). Just wondering how I should proceed.

Since I can tell you're the man when it comes to Logic, here's another unrelated question:

I've recorded a number of guitar parts in Logic. I've used the punch in/punch out or auto drop recording method because basically I suck at playing guitar (but I can shred on one chord at a time :roll: ) Now my problem is that I'm getting a little pop at the beginning of each audio region. When I open the region up in the sample edit window, I seen no spike that I could erase or silence. While I realize it's a poor way of recording, I figured I could clean it up if there was audio noise - just can't see any in the sample edit window. Tried moving up the region start marker and that didn't seem to do it.

I was using Amplitube on 4 different audio tracks and running the EXSP on 4 other instrument tracks. I went back and froze 2 of the audio tracks and I'm not getting the error anymore. I wonder if I should max out the RAM?

I don't think so. You should look at your CPU meter: Audio>System Performance. I think you're maxing out your CPU. Those plug-ins tax a lot of the CPU!

And if I were to get a new G5, would my PCI Delta 44 card work in it?

It might not work. The G5 only works with 3.3 V PCI cards. Check out the following picture: the pic on the left is the 3.3V PCI card. The one on the right is a 5V and is not compatible with the G5. What's important is the location of that little hole in the card. If you have both little holes then you're fine.

http://www0.info.apple.com/images/kbase/86513/86513_1.gif

I've always been told processor upgrades are crap (although why do they sell so many????!!!)

Well I certainly don't recommend them to use with Logic. It's hard enough to create a stable system where all the components are compatible. So the less you add, the better. Processor upgrades are components manufactured by 3rd party companies ... you get the picture!

I'm getting a little pop at the beginning of each audio region

Try using crossfades in between your regions, or at the start and end of your regions. Use the Fade tool (the one that looks like a square with a < sign inside).

Edited by David Nahmani