is it true that Logic has a bad audio engine?

esencia

I've heard from several people that Logic has a poor audio engine... and cubase or digital performer or even Ableton Live has a better audio rendering?

is this really true?

Thanks!

:wink:

My shop has banged out 60+ seperate projects in my 4 rooms on Logics 'poor' audio engine since the turn of the year. Many, many HUNDREDS of released full length records for labels of all sizes, from tiny little indies to the biggest labels on the planet, over the last decade in/with the program.

Not kidding.

Anyhoo.

I ALSO own and use ProTools TDM, Cubase, DP4.6 and Ableton with a fair degree of regularity. They do STUFF that Logic will not.... That's the ONLY reason we use them. It ain't the sonics.... I assure you.

For native systems.... Logic's audio engine and it's resident plugs are 2 of the biggest strengths of the program.

I'd love to see your friends substanciate that claim.

Best regards,

SM.

Yeah, who knows if they even used the same panning law settings in all those softwares when making their comparisons? I mean, take a complex mix in Logic, switch its panning law, and you'll get more "depth", more "definition", more "space". So in a way, I can prove to you that Logic has a much better Audio Engine than ... Logic.

Thank you guys for all your answers...

I'm a very new user in Logic. I own Sx 3.1, Live and Reason too... But I have to say that I'm loving Logic.. it has a slow learning curve but it offers everything you need if you "know" how to do that. If everything keeps going so I think that Logic will be my main setup with live and reason by rewire.

But I'm VERY interesting about what David talked about: "switch its panning law". Could you explain it a little more in deep?

Thanks a lot

I've worked with different systems and can only say there is a difference...but the origin of the difference is hard to tell. A few years ago I used a Digi 001 with logic 5 and protools le. With several tracks running there was no 'obvious' difference but when mixing down a complete mix I found protools to be more dynamic and less cluthered. It also seemed less hard to get a decent mix whereas with logic I had to struggle more to get elements to come to their full right. In this case the converter and the monitoring system and room were identical so they are not to blame.

Recently I mixed some logic bounced tracks on Cubase 3sx and there was a definite difference as well however in this case it was a different converter, different monitors and different room...so this isn't really a comparison.

In fact, all summing busses in DAW apps can never have enough resolution and with apple running 64bit processors I hope they will soon incorporate a 64bit summing buss in Logic. Actually I'm hoping for an update anyway!!! they sure are slow *ss programmers @ apple!

my 2ct ;-)

Hi folks

I used to work with Cubase 3,4,5,VST 32 for years. To me, there is not a lot of difference (talking about sound quality) between Cubase and Logic. May be there is, but I cant' hear them; it will waste my time, time that I need to focus on composing of orchestration.

For me, the sound is great on the two system. It's not the point. The point is how such a tool inspire you, helps you to keep concentrated on what you do (music....remember?)

The only thing I assume is true, is that when it comes to ProTools TDM harware, I can hear a difference, in complex mixes, in reverb definition etc...

And this is where Logic is great, as it can "talk" to DIGI hardware.

That was my input of the day!

Have a nice day (rainy in Paris this morning)

joecool

Yeah, who knows if they even used the same panning law settings in all those softwares when making their comparisons? I mean, take a complex mix in Logic, switch its panning law, and you'll get more "depth", more "definition", more "space". So in a way, I can prove to you that Logic has a much better Audio Engine than ... Logic.

I've been looking for more detailed info about this on the manual but I couldn´t find how to get what you are talking about.

Could you please explain us how to use this feature?

Thanks! ;)

In Logic: File > Song Settings > Audio, there is a setting for the panning law. Different settings affect the level difference between a signal panned R or L vs a signal panned center in a differenct manner.

The best is to try them and see which one you like the best.

You can read this article for further info:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=41&storycode=7672