Transform - Exponential Vel.

fa

Hi there

I'm trying to transform a series of events in a midi region.

would love to assign exponentail velocity to save some time so what i do is:

select the events i want to transform then go to Functions>Transform>Exponential Vel.

adjust the curve and hit "operate only".

It tells me the number of events selected but they haven't been changed.

am i missing somethin?

i tried with humanize and it works fine!

thanks guys

fa, if you're trying to use the transformer's Exponential Vel factory setting, what it does is transform your velocity scale into a an exponential velocity scale. Meaning if you have your notes already ramping up straight in velocity, using that setting will make them ramp up exponentially in velocity. If all their velocities are the same, then you're just changing that velocity to another number according to the map in the transform window. They will still all have the same velocity.

If you are trying to get an exponential velocity from several notes that all have the same velocity, use "Crescendo" first, then "Exponential Vel".

Let me know?

hi David

i see what you mean and i tried with the crescendo first but it still changes all the events to the same velocity value....1 in this case

i'm sure there's something stupid going on...

:?

maybe there's something wrong with the "operation for Byte 2" field.

there's no crescendo and all the values seem to be at 0 or 1.

if i click on it there's a window saying:

Do you want to use this map as value 2 operation ?

i'm sure the problem is here

thanks anyway

• 4 months later...

There clearly is something wrong with the crescendo transform tool, but using the draw window worked like a charm.

So this post was very helpful to me, too!

Thanks a lot.

(Now, if I can only program my brain to deal with the counter-intuitive way the draw tool works so I can do this quickly next time!!!)

• 2 years later...

hate to bring a thread this old back, but I'm having the same exact problem. I don't believe that I'm doing anything wrong with my transform windows, but I'm having these exact same problems with both the "crescendo" function and the "exponential velocity" function. Very frustrating, because these would be very useful tools!

Attached are before/after operation pictures, in that order.

1100983954_Screenshot2010-04-05at8_53.05PM(2).thumb.png.6cb1bc668d5af3067322e4ac69d90fca.png

Before operation

1643172490_Screenshot2010-04-05at8_53.17PM(2).thumb.png.d221ff8d64bf228abe79aeb1b0d10323.png

After operation

Crescendo and Exponential working beautifully here (test done on Logic 8.0.2).

Just like David said, if you start with a group of notes whose velocity is the same, start by applying the Crescendo preset...after that you can adjust the crescendo exponentially with the...Exponential preset.

Crescendo:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4503511800_51cd67289d_o.png

Exponential:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4503512158_bd7643ba8d_o.png

J.

• 10 years later...
Bringing this thread back to say this has never worked for me and still does not work and it is extremely frustrating.

It works as expected here. Keep in mind that 'Exponential Velocity' just re-routes selected note velocities to new static ones so if you start with notes that have the same velocities, you'll end up with notes that have the same velocity (as expected). If you want an exponential crescendo you first have to use the Cescendo preset as Jordi explained. My guess is many people expect 'Exponential Velocity' to apply the crescendo on its own — but it's not designed to do that.

Tell us exactly what you start with, the steps you've taken, and what result you're getting, we can help you make it work for you too.

I lasso the notes. I click midi transform --> exponential velocity. I click to operate it. Nothing happens. I do the same thing when selecting "crescendo."

And I want to point out again, this used to work for me up until a few years ago. These exact steps.

I lasso the notes. I click midi transform --> exponential velocity. I click to operate it. Nothing happens. I do the same thing when selecting "crescendo."

And I want to point out again, this used to work for me up until a few years ago. These exact steps.

Upload the project here with your Transform window open, I'll have a look. How to attach files to your post

That's missing the step where you define the position range of the notes you want to transform, which as far as I know is required for this to work.

J.

I saved the project with the transform window open, as depicted in my screenshots, so I am unclear why it wasn't opened when you opened the project.

I don't understand what defining the position range of notes means, and it's never something I did when this used to work easily before. Does lassoing them not define the position range? Isn't it implied that the first note is first, the rest follow, and ending with the final note that is highlighted?

1612081232_ScreenShot2020-05-17at9_40_17PM.thumb.png.5b18f183d6f070652468eebdf98c239c.png

1393848214_ScreenShot2020-05-17at9_40_03PM.thumb.png.d87c0ec780ad7cd0db1e51216773caf9.png

418875188_ScreenShot2020-05-17at9_39_38PM.thumb.png.5a41f4407db614de15d596701ac57556.png

• 2 weeks later...
fa, if you're trying to use the transformer's Exponential Vel factory setting, what it does is transform your velocity scale into a an exponential velocity scale. Meaning if you have your notes already ramping up straight in velocity, using that setting will make them ramp up exponentially in velocity. If all their velocities are the same, then you're just changing that velocity to another number according to the map in the transform window. They will still all have the same velocity.

If you are trying to get an exponential velocity from several notes that all have the same velocity, use "Crescendo" first, then "Exponential Vel".

Let me know?

I had the same problem. Fighting with the UI for hours. Read this. Fixed.

David, you're the best.

I don't understand what defining the position range of notes means, and it's never something I did when this used to work easily before. Does lassoing them not define the position range? Isn't it implied that the first note is first, the rest follow, and ending with the final note that is highlighted?

No. You have to adjust the Position fields in your Transform window according to the bar numbers where you want the crescendo to occur. On your screenshot, your Transform window is set to produce a crescendo between 1 1 1 1 and 5 1 1 1.

I still can't fix it and do not understand the solution. What does 1 1 1 1 refer to?

That's how you define a position in Logic in Bars Beats Division Ticks. 1 1 1 1 is bar 1, and 5 1 1 1 is bar 5. Can you see those values in your Transformer screenshot? You need to change them to determine where you want the crescendo to occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying, but I had a major iMac crash last week and only just now got my computer back.

Putting a numerical value for the bar of the song seems difficult and inconvenient. I would like to know why I never had to do this for years and years of doing MIDI in Logic until now? Why before was I able to simply lasso my MIDI notes and perform these operations in one second?

• 9 months later...

I hope it's ok I hijack this thread.

I am trying to apply a exponential curve as a midi plugin, and failing:

My very old Fatar Studio 1100 basicly has a minimum midi velocity of +-40.

In Pianoteq I have created a curve that feels/plays much better.

How can I apply such a curve as a midi effect to other instruments?

Seems like this should be a common enough problem.

The built in Logic-Velocity tool does not quite work for me, as the "expander" feature is quite limited.

I think there is a way in the environment window, but I am rather looking for an easier way (perhaps as a plugin on the input)

Is there a way with Logic stock plugins or maybe can someone point me to a 3rd party plugin for that?

as the "expander" feature is quite limited.

Indeed it does not allow for exponential curves. I suppose you could program a script. Or you could try using a Transformer in the MIDI Environment, or perhaps a couple of transformer for more flexibility (such as an offset plus a curve), unless you want to create a Map in which case you could do everything within a single Transformer.

1491234743_TransformerExponentialVelocity.png.ee06ea740c0c448ead6c776b1f7cb413.png

Thank you for answering, David!

I don't feel quite ready/comfortable enough to go into the environment ;-)

I was hoping there was perhaps a 3rdparty utility for the task.

Puzzling to me there is no "easy" Logic fix for that. I bet a lot of people have fast/slow feeling keyboards...