Huge Problem: Logic Instantly Stops Playback

C4L88

Okay, so a huge problem just decided to randomly occur in a large project I'm working on (of course it would screw up on a huge project).

Whenever I hit play by either using the space bar, clicking on it in the transport bar, or using the play button on my external controller, Logic will only play for a millisecond and then stop again. I see the play button turn green, and then go back to the stop button as if I pressed that.

Oddly, if I hit the stop button, it takes me back to the beginning of the project instead, and if I hit the play button there, it works perfectly, and if I stop it and start it again, it works fine.

However, the instant I move the playhead to wherever I need it to be, it starts doing that problem again.

I don't have this problem in any of my other projects, and this project was working perfectly fine for many days and was working fine while I was working on it, then the problem started right in the middle of working on the project (working fine just a few second ago).

It's a 6 and a half minute piece so having the start it over again just to get to the end (where I'm currently editing) would be an absolute pain in my keister, only to have to restart it to hear how edits worked out.

I was using Logic 9.1.6, upgraded to 9.1.8, but that didn't help

Any ideas what the remedy is?

The project isn't currently on a deadline so I'm not a time constraint, but the sooner I get an answer, the happier I will be.

That is so strange, I'm on Logic Express 8 and I've just started experiencing this exact same problem a few hours ago! Playback stops a fraction of a second after it starts, and for me it stops when the playhead hits an instrument region. It's also occurring across projects. I'll keep looking into this and keep you guys posted.

HI everyone

I have the exact same problem. When I press play , It plays for a second, then stops no matter where i put the playhead.

I've tried turning loop off.. no luck

Any suggestions?

It was weird for me because I closed the project, reloaded it, same issue.

Opened a new project, worked fine.

I then closed Logic and did some other things for about half an hour, came back to the problem project, worked fine.

It was the oddest thing... :| but, really it's all I can suggest myself.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.

I know this is an old topic, but just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having the same problem. I experienced the 1 second playback problem in Logic express, and was pretty gutted as I thought I'd have to go back and rebuild the whole thing. Turns out I'd accidentally dragged the project end locator forward a few bars, which had resulted in a piece of a muted audio region being cut off (where it turns grey). When I dragged the locator back to it's original position so all regions were inside the locators, it solved the problem, with the track playing normally again. Touch wood that was the issue and now it won't happen again.

Sean

(Running Logic express 9.1.5, on osx 6.8)

• 1 year later...

Hi, got the same problem on Logic Pro X 10.2.0 (Mac Pro 2012, OS X 10.10.5, Lynx E44).

Playback stops immediately. Tried to change locators, cycle, etc…

In the end, restart project worked for me.

Btw, the exactly same thing happened to me when watching youtube videos the other day. :?

good things to do: turn off wifi. reboot, and open ONLY logic (make sure apps aren't set to reopen upon restarting). work on your project. this helps me enormously (altho, in 2 weeks, when i get a new macbook pro, i'll be laughing at the universe :mrgreen: ).

on complex mixes, bigger projects, i get regular cpu overloads. rebooting 'flushes' everything, and opening ONLY logic gets me back to work (mostly).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I am experiencing this a very similar problem in a major project that I am working on, ever since updating to Logic 10.5 (OS 10.14.6).

It typically works for a few minutes, then I have to quit/reopen logic for it to start playing again. Alternatively, if I record audio, it plays back from the playhead just fine. If I simply push play, it will only play for split second, then stop again. This is very annoying as I don't want to be recording audio all the time just to be able to hear what I am doing.

Unlike the OP, I cannot play the project from the beginning - it's either record or nothing.

First when I found this problem. I thought VLC problem I opened it for my learning. So I changed it to QuickTime but it's same problem.

I checked it on web and I thought Sylenth1 problem or inner reverb or delay causing the problem usually with Sylenth1.

So I changed it to Serum and first it was alright, I turned inner reverb and delay on and off in Serum.

It was okay about 5 minutes. Then same problem. Play for 2 seconds and stopped.

I checked it online again I found here. So I guess Logic Pro X 10.5's bug....

Edited by stan.di.skipio

I've just started having this problem too after the 10.5 update, but also coincidentally the project in question has just reached a monumental size so that might have something to do with it. Closing and reopening solves the problem temporarily. Also there is a dot that appears next to the HD perfomance meter when it happens

This has been happening for me also. I'm on a brand new, maxed-out iMac, and CPU is nowhere near spiking, nor is the HD. Don't think I've ever had this problem, and I've been a heavy Logic user for a decade. Causing issues on a deadline, constantly having to restart and hope it works. Can't identify any specific plugins causing the issue. Hope we get a patch soon. OSX 10.14.6

Hey guys, I discussed the problem with my an Apple-Advisor via hotline and he recommended to try the version before update. The 10.4.8 version is only available on Mac OS High Sierra. So if you install high sierra on a seperate external HDD, you can download the 10.4.8 version. Either you use the high sierra OS or you can also compress the installed software to *.zip in your software folder. After, you've to transfer it to your catalina or mojave OS and unzip it in your software file. Done. For any questions, don't hesitate.

1844429379_Bildschirmfoto2020-05-22um00_13_55.thumb.png.4a0705e3e13f679a16f8666c9b90bd3d.png

This seems like an insane amount of work for a major bug that Apple should be fixing. And if Apple's best current fix is to roll back to a previous version of LPX, they should make that previous version available to us, not expect us to obtain a new external hard drive to install an old version of Mac OS onto. I spoke with Apple today also. They said it might have something to do with Spectrasonics VST's (Omnisphere). I'm skeptical. But this is a huge problem.

I coincidentally heard from Spectrasonics today on an unrelated topic. They stated they have a compatibility issue with all of their products - Omnisphere included - working with Logic 10.5. Looks to be related to automation. Here's their KB article:

https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/knowledgebase_view_topic.php?id=774&categoryID=84

Oddly enough I am on 10.5 and Omnisphere runs fine thus far (knock wood). Perhaps it will stop running fine. I saw some folks on Reddit who had luck resolving this issue by forcing a Rescan of the problematic plug-ins, as described by Apple here (final step):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201199

I spoke with Apple today also. They said it might have something to do with Spectrasonics VST's (Omnisphere). I'm skeptical.

It doesn't have anything to do with Omnisphere. I don't have any Spectrasonics products, and this is a huge problem for me, often requiring a restart after only minutes of use.

they should make that previous version available to us,

Am I the only one who always copies the old instance of the Logic Application to a backup folder to be able to run older versions after updating.

From now on I advice everybody to do the same. Good luck, they way fix it., I think it is indeed the Spectrasonics stuff

On my end, the update occurred automatically, otherwise I would have canceled it and backed up the app. Spectrasonics might cause an issue for some people sometimes, but I've been hearing from people having the same issue who do not have Spectrasonics products installed.

they should make that previous version available to us,

Am I the only one who always copies the old instance of the Logic Application to a backup folder to be able to run older versions after updating.

From now on I advice everybody to do the same. Good luck, they way fix it., I think it is indeed the Spectrasonics stuff

It's good advice and usually I do. However on this occasion it updated automatically and I had no idea there even was a new update available before I opened logic. Also I don't have any spectrasonics products installed