Out of tune midi

tinyrhino

My midi instruments are playing out of tune, doesn't happen all the time and doesn't happen on all instruments. I've tried unplugging keyboard, doesn't make any difference. I've seen posts about pitch bending automation being the problem, but I never use automation for pitch bending. Can anybody help?

If It's not automation itself, it could simply be the pitch bender on your ext keyboard, not correctly reseting itself after use... Try selecting a track in a project, that sounds out of tune and move the pitchbend wheel while the project is playing back, to see if that changes things.

Also, look in the events editor list and see if there are any pitchbend data that has been accidentally recorded...

Tinyrhino -

I've seen this out of tune behavior when using Klav (Clavinet) for example. I am 100% sure I've got no MIDI pitch bend info since I've viewed the event list and deleted any and all.

Still, I would hear the instrument go out of tune—BAD—during playback. My only solution was to solo the MIDI track and bounce to an audio track. Then I used only the bounced track. That worked.

I am uncertain why but suspect the CPU cannot process the Klav with other stuff going on during full-song playback, such as plugins. Of course, I'm not sure.

Perhaps this will help you.

Thanks to everyone who got back. It's still going out of tune, even if the keyboard is unplugged, so it can't be the pitch bend on the keyboard. And I haven't accidentally recorded pitch bend data. It happens randomly, so the midi works ok for a while, then slides about a semitone out. And then slides out about the same place in the song each time, but not always. And it also bounces out of tune. Anyone any ideas? I'm desperate.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
i need to bump this thread because this is happening to me too. There is no automation of pitch bend and nothing in global. The strangest part is that it's random. If i quit the session an reopen it will be in tune for a while and then it goes out. Was this ever solved?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Don`t know if this can help but I had this problem on one project with terrible out of tune midi instruments.

I went into project settings / tuning / software instrument scale, and discovered that the "fixed" checkbox was checked.

I checked the equal tempered checkbox and it all came back to normal.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I was having the same problem where the midi signals coming in were correct but the audio was out of tune. I found another post which helped me solve it;

My audio interface was set to sample rate of 48kHz, but Mainstage was sending at 44.1kHz. Matching them solved the problem.

I created an account here just to say "THANK YOU!!!" This was driving me absolutely crazy, and changing the sample rate as you described fixed it for me. Why sample rate affects MIDI is beyond me, but I can now slow down MIDI tracks, whereas I could not before (piano tracks would stay in tune, but violin tracks were detuning to a horrid pitch halfway between out of tune and "please kill me now!").

Happy camper here -- woo hoo!