Real Time Piano Transposition

DakotaJay

Hey there,

I'm recording a piano track with a MIDI M-Audio Key Station 49e (connected via USB) and wish to play in the shape of G, but in the key of Eb. I'm not a very good piano player, so it will be too time consuming for me to try to transpose myself. I see there is a Transpose field in the Inspector for my piano track, but it only gives me the option to transpose to a different octave, not by half-steps. I want to play along with the track while I record (obviously), so if there's a way to do it in real time, or a configuration that makes my C an Eb, that would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Dakota

• 5 years later...
The option in the Inspector to transpose by semitones is immedialtely behind the word Transposition.

Go Logic Pro>Preferences>Display>General and tick Show Default Values if you want the empty fields visible when they're unused.

pic 2012-11-28 at 20.20.48.PNG

Thanks so much. This transpose problem has plagued me for a year. The key detail being just drag while clicking up and down on the value field.

To avoid this perceptive visual deficiency in identifying the existence of certain fields including this particular example... You may want to enable - Preferences->display-> show default values..... Now you see the field with a value vs not seeing the fields.....

ColdNaiveCamel.gif

Well, lemme tell you young whipper-snapper, six years ago we didn't have those new-fangled default value preference setting thingies, we had to make do with knowledge or clickin' like a metaldetectorer. You yung'uns have it easy nowadays! Six years ago things were very different!

[FP]O wait, we actually did have it, so it is an old-fangled thing after all, that I never used because it makes things look busier than needed - I just forgot that we had it - back then. And I clearly even mentioned it - I should have reread my own six year old post. Some things never change - including my own clumsy readingz... :roll: :lol:

Edited by Eriksimon

Funny.... There is a very good chance I am I am not within 3 standard deviations of the average age on this forum - My first car had an 8-track player in it!!!!

and Logic 8 also had this feature in it...... See below - from page 966 of the logic 8 users manual....

So this option has been around at least for 11 years ( maybe longer )...my old friend...... I wish I was a young whipper snapper - I would be ok even with a young snapper :)

2017045576_ScreenShot2018-05-02at6_14_23PM.png.592f009c254fe423a010d0a018ff1a89.png

That's funny - I just saw in between you post and my response you edited yours..... might I suggest 3.0 readers which is what I use :) :roll: :P

• 3 years later...
I did everything you said but it's not working. Maybe they changed it since then? I clicked Show Default Values, but it still will only let me transpose in octaves. I'm playing with my church band and they change the key to the songs a lot, which makes it very confusing when I can't transpose anything in Logic.

I did everything you said but it's not working. Maybe they changed it since then? I clicked Show Default Values, but it still will only let me transpose in octaves. I'm playing with my church band and they change the key to the songs a lot, which makes it very confusing when I can't transpose anything in Logic.

Try either dragging the value up or down, or double-clicking it to enter a new value:

render.gif.c8b5c212ebfc27833be67e68fa1fb8d7.gif