how do you do this?

toiletooth

so someone asked about drum rolls......

but how in logic do you do the venetian snares/idm/squarepusher/every IDM dude ever "trick that is the stuttering jungle fade ins/fadeouts?

do you know what i mean?

its everywhere

like a drum roll but it goes on longer.

like a buffer underrun effect done right with automation.

like a spring delayed stutter with more quantization.

but also grows louder and softer and also changes its quantified values.....

hard to explain with no audio loops.....

but in this mp3 it happens quite a bit....

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF172271-01-04-02.mp3

please DAVID, can you answer this one?

toiletooth.

Wow, cool mp3.

Well, there's a LOT going on there, it's artwork and sound sculpture at its finest. Not just one technique but a mix of many many different techniques.

For that kind of work, I would work with Audio as much as possible. Take a drum hit, repeat, and then automate fx plug-ins on top. Not just volume, but also pitch, flange, ring mod...

Don't hesitate to create loads of different tracks with different plug-ins for just one snare. One fill on one track, one on another, one that spans on several...

I can also hear some sounds, like, say, a slowly sweeping synth sound that is pitch bent to go down, and then stuttered just like the snare fill and layered on top of it.

For that, once you have your snare fill, create your synth sweep, then use the Option+Scissors to slice it, then drag back the lower right corner of one of the Regions while they are all selected to adjust the "gate" time of the stutter effect. See what I mean?

You'll have to do a lot of experimentation. I wouldn't be surprised if those guys spend hours on one little bar of music sometimes!

Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Thanks David for the excellent suggestions -drawing curves in the global tempo track is reaally way fun too if anyone has yet to try that..

thanks for that nice mp3 link TT...who's music is that by the way?

One technical thing that I'd like to figure out how people like FATBOY SLIM & Junior||Senior do is speeding up and/or slowing down an entire track (not just the drums) with the vocals included esp. without messing with the pitch of those vocals../ perhaps it's a bit of a cheat -- i think they may be redoing new vocals on top ...after the fact?

sounds very analog... like handspinning vinyl or turning some kind of dial...

Unfortunately, I don't think the effect I'm trying to describe is on the video and mp3 tracks that I posted in the Lounge re: Junior||Senior but you can really hear what I mean if you check out the tag out on Junior||Senior's "Take My Time" from "HEY HEY MY MY YO YO"[2005] I'm reasonably sure Niles Rodgers did similar tricks working with the B-52s (Bouncing Off the Sattelites) and others

that link was to an artist called "Venetian Snares"

here's a link to his "speedranch" live set- great.

i love him i love him i love him.

but you can't bite him, because honestly, you aren't able to.

that is what happens when you don't use logic.

hahahahahaha.

frustrating, isn't it?

he uses an old mod tracker written originally for the amiga, called octa med.

yeah, very talented individual.

glad you like what i like! you must be smart!

love, toiletooth

Thanks for the linx!

VS's Canadian too like me but from out west someplace, calgary? ..ahh yes "Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole" he says must be Manitoba then... i sat in on some seminars here last week and couple of the dudes there were telling me about him... one or 2 big fans and a software supplier who had sent him something...

Hmm live set,eh? What I'm wondering is what if anything Venetian Snares, Squarepusher or Aphex Twin actually do in a live show... so much of the sound is processed and prerecorded etc.. so what do they milli vanilli it up with a laptop in front of them?

Like Kraftwerk sitting behind little boxes all in a row... they could be doing their taxes up there for all we know :)