Copy Automation

mononoise

Hi

I am currently working on a track using Logic Express and Reason rewired for drums, i have Reason going through a bus with effects and autmated the delay output mix on the drums. Now i am trying to copy the 8 bars of automatation so it will apply to the whole song, i have gone trough the manual and the PDF referance but it doesnt say anything about copying automation.

Is this maybe something they left out of Express?, that would suck. :cry:

Hi David

The Automation is on a bus channel so there is no region on top, the drum region is on the rewire channel. If i hold shift and select it and try to paste nothing happens. But if i select a diffrent channel i can paste the automation but only once, it seems that i cant paste it over and over.

I tried making a region on the bus channel and paste that but the automation did not paste with it.

If there is no region below the automation you want to copy, create a new one (just use the pencil to create an empty region and adjust its borders).

You can then copy it on any track by holding Option and then dragging the region. Logic should ask you everytime wether you want to copy the automation along with the region or not.

you *can* open an Automation edit window, where you can copy & paste to your heart's delight I beleieve; but this window is hidden from Joe Public in L7 . It does have the potential to create a certain amount of havoc I suppose.

If you search the Key Commands for "Automation Event Edit" you can assign a keycom to it. I actually find it quite useful for troubleshooting sometimes, when (for instance) Automation doesn't display as expected.

When you open the window, ALL your tracks will be displayed, so i find it useful to "delete unused tracks" (there's a keycom for that too) to see better what's going on. You'll see very quickly if you have Automation where you think you should.

HTH

RR

mononoise, I don‘t know who you‘re addressing, but to clarify:

If you are talikng about Automation View in the normal Arrange window-that's right, you can't copy the Automation you see displayed as a yellow line -it's just a display. But if you copy a Region which has Automation existing on its track, Logic will ask you if you want to copy Automation too. This "asking" can be turned on or off in your Automation Preferences.

The Automation Edit Window is another window, which looks similar to an Arrange window when you open it- but it can have a LOT of tracks; actually I think there‘s a track for every object in your Environment, which is why it helps to Delete Unused Tracks in that window right away.

Other than that, the Automation regions look and behave like any MIDI region, and you can move/cut/copy/paste, even open up an Event Edit window for the individual tracks, and so on.

RR

Well i am really starting to think this is a Express issue.

If you are talikng about Automation View in the normal Arrange window-that's right, you can't copy the Automation you see displayed as a yellow line -it's just a display. But if you copy a Region which has Automation existing on its track, Logic will ask you if you want to copy Automation too. This "asking" can be turned on or off in your Automation Preferences.

The asking as always been on, but still Logic asks me nothing, i can move automation with the region but can not copy it. So this leaves me still just with 8 bars.

The Automation Edit Window is another window, which looks similar to an Arrange window when you open it- but it can have a LOT of tracks; actually I think there‘s a track for every object in your Environment, which is why it helps to Delete Unused Tracks in that window right away.

Cant find this window, searched in the key commands but nothing came up, probably just in Logic Pro.

Well maybe hand drawing the automation for the whole track is the only way to go. :shock:

Anybody here with Logic Express that has succefully copied automation?

Well i am really starting to think this is a Express issue.

The asking as always been on, but still Logic asks me nothing, i can move automation with the region but can not copy it. So this leaves me still just with 8 bars.

Cant find this window, searched in the key commands but nothing came up, probably just in Logic Pro.

Well maybe hand drawing the automation for the whole track is the only way to go. :shock:

Anybody here with Logic Express that has succefully copied automation?

- Have you tried copying the region, then deleting the events in it? That could leave you with the automation, I thiink (maybe Logic will ask)

-Yes, there are different (fewer) keycoms availlable in Express (I have both). I find it a silly limitation but there you are.

PS this Forum is "Logic Pro Help" so it would be useful to mention that you're working with Express

RR

Hi Rikki

I can delete the region and keep the automation, but this still leaves me with just the original 8 bars of automation.

About using Logic Express i did mention that i was using it in the original post.

Hi

I am currently working on a track using Logic Express and Reason rewired for drums, i have Reason going through a bus with effects and autmated the delay output mix on the drums. Now i am trying to copy the 8 bars of automatation so it will apply to the whole song, i have gone trough the manual and the PDF referance but it doesnt say anything about copying automation.

Is this maybe something they left out of Express?, that would suck.

It says that this forum is for Pro and Express users.

Yeah yeah no problem using this forum for Logic Express. Only it's always a little confusing as nobody really knows which features are stripped out of Express as opposed to Pro, and for that reason, for a Logic Pro user to try to help an Express user is always a frustrating task...

mono, do you have logic Express 6? If you do you could use the Automation Folder....

No i have Logic Express 7.01, i am going to upgrade next month to 7.1. Maybe that will fix this, altough i doubt it since i havent seen this problem mentioned anywhere.

Pretty frustrating if this is Pro only tough, such a basic feature.

Its true that the diffrence between Pro and Express is not very well documented, like the Logic Express box shows non linear automation drawing although it is not possible.

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/comparison.html

This is the only thing i know of that shows the diffrence, it really just shows the basics.

About using Logic Express i did mention that i was using it in the original post.

It says that this forum is for Pro and Express users.

Hi mononoise, just read your reply; sorry, my fault, I didn't read that in your original post-didn't mean to be critical :)

Glad you could get some answers. I wish the key commands could be the same for Pro & Express tho'; as it is you have to adjust your way of working when switching between the two (I find keycoms much faster than the mouse,too).

RR