VS 1680 and Logic control

pinhead67

Sure, kinda. I have a VS-890 and tried to do this myself.

First off: It's definitely not a supported control surface, which means you'll be having lots of fun digging around in the environment. YAY. Each track broadcasts on a different channel (I don't mean to treat you like you're stupid if you already know this) I'm not exactly a newbie but this did take me forever to do the first time because I wasn't making use of the splitter environment object, and everything was being broadcast on the same cable. When doing this, I decided to have the track mixer control all my audio instruments and my input mixer control all my tracks. Since the track mixer naturally broadcasts volume and pan messages as the standard 7 and 10 messages you can draw cables directly from the splitter to your tracks. The tricky part comes when you realise that the input mixer broadcasts on the same channels as the track mixer, so it has to use different messages for it's pan and volume. It sends volume as message 68 and pan as message 70. In order to control tracks with these, you have to use fader objects to convert message 68 to message 7 and message 70 to message 10, you can then drag these cables to the track you want the input mixer to control.

Now, I did leave out something very important because I wanted to get the concept across first, which is this: The messages being sent from the track mixer ( which are already 7+10) will pass right through the fader objects and control the input mixers designated track anyway. So after the messages leave the track mixers designated track they must be converted (I like to use the fader button for this)into a message you will never concievably use (which there are plenty of) before going into the fader objects (the ones you use for translating 68+70).

When you're all done you have a Logic environment specially tailored to your VS system. I should mention however, that for some reason, enabled automation in Logic doesn't respond to midi controller messages. So I created an instrument object that represents my VS-890.This object's midi out is routed to the splitter that the actual VS is plugged into. I use this object to record my fader and pan movements which can easily be played back. I call it "Ghettomation" ( because every volume change sould be done with MIDI resolution). After that, all you have to do is set your VS to send MTC and you can use the jog wheel for moving quickly around the session (but not much else unfortunately)

I hope this helps.

I have an environment I can load into the Logic templates section but it needs some debugging first, and it's something I've been putting off for a while.