Environement Challenge For Logic Gurus - Speaker Switcher?

embrionic

On the verge of investing several hundred dollars on a studio control center like the SPL or the Central Station or something, I thought, can Logic do at least some of this on its own? I mix in the box so i have unused audio outputs on my interface.

I messed around with the environment a little bit, trying to get a cable switcher to simultaneously switch the state of outputs (by changing the state of mutes) that might be assigned to different audio outputs of my interface (i88x) that could then feed my separate powered/non-powered speakers.

Well, this is, admittedly beyond my abilities and it appears logic audio routing may be much less sophisticated then some of its midi routing. I could only get mutes to go on or off based on the transmitted midi value to an audio object - i couldn't get anything to "change state" with a Fader object. It also seems impossible to route a single audio source to other than a single destination other than using a send. I don't want to run my entire mixes through a send!

I gave up...

Is this at all possible in the environment? DIfferent approach? Dreamin'?

Might someone be able to give a description on how to create a speaker switcher by using separate audio outs of an audio interface.

Here's one. It is designed for 3 pairs of Monitors, but you can easily make one for as many outputs as you want.

Cable your Monitors to your Audio Interface:

Monitor 1 in Out 1-2

Monitor 2 in Out 3-4

Monitor 3 in Out 5-6

Then in screenset 1, simply click on the button below the Monitor you want to hear. Bus 1 is used to route Audio from all tracks to all Outputs, no sends are used. The Master Volume Fader controls the general level of all Monitors.

David, you rock, it works beautifully. Thank you. Very interesting solution. Wow, Logic IS pretty amazing.

And of course this has my mind spinning, both learning how you did it and and imagining how to enhance it to totally suit my system now that i know this kind of audio routing is possible within Logic. For starters i would like the third monitor you created to instead feed s/pdf out (easy) but remain unaffected by the master fader level and always "on" (not so easy, remove the transformer object?? so i can feed my CD recorder).

Also, at a basic level, I am puzzled how mono aux channels are still passing stereo signal to the bus/monitor outputs? Are Aux objects just always stereo objects anyway?

But I will save this for another day. After I have studied and understood the current audio routing and midi switching more (as much as I can), I will certainly have some questions!

Cheers.

James

Hi David, well it is partially that I need to reassign 5 and 6 to 9 and 10 (which happens to be where my SPDF outs appear on my i88x) and when I do that things appear to get strange.

I am re-downloading the original file to make sure I didn't screw up the file while inspecting on my powerbook (where i downloaded it). Then I'll check it out again, take some notes, and report back. It also may have something to do with my Logic Control, which appears to control monitor 1 but not monitor 2 now.

Also when I report back I will perhaps provide a copy of my autoload to see if that helps.