LPX is too dark.

Cephalopod

I have a 27" iMac. Those of you that have this model know that the screen is crazy bright, and at high resolution, you need to sit close to it in order to be able to see details clearly. As a result, I tend to keep my screen brightness pretty low...about 33%. Otherwise, applications like Safari, Word, etc are too bright.

Now LPX is pretty dark. I understand and applaud their efforts to reduce eyestrain, however, I have to increase brightness in order to see it clearly. No big deal. The problem arrises when I switch from LPX to another program, like Safari, and I'm HOLY s#!+ BLINDED! How's that for eyestrain!

Anyone else?

yeah, it's waaaaay too dark! it's black on dark grey. there's no contrast on the screen. i have to put my face super close to the screen to even be able to tell what i'm doing. why the hell would they get rid of the feature where we could change the color to what suited our needs best? so stupid

Apple have always tried to homogenise the look and feel of the Pro Apps - this is their new ProApps interface, used for FCPX, and Motion, and now Logic.I expect Compressor and Aperture will be moved to this interface too.

Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but you may end up preferring it. To be honest, there hasn't been a version of Logic for a long time that, despite being unsure of the new interface, when I've worked with the new interface for some months and then gone back to the old one I haven't though "Hmm, the old one is way better". Familiar yes, but not better. LP8/9 > LP7, LP7 > LP6, LP6 > LP5 etc...

There were good things about the LP8/9 interface, but we've had it for, what, 6+ years now. And there were plenty of bad things about it too. But change is always a little painful... hopefully balanced out by the good stuff...

Sorry guys, but I disagree - with the disclaimer that I have a Benq display (which is well calibrated, I also "do" photography (PS 11)). I'm 49 now, I actually needed reading glasses most of the time for my computerscreen, but not with LP10! I can actually see it better than LP 9, I spot elements easier than in 9, I can take more distance from the screen and still discern everything, my eyes don't dry out as much (I wear contacts). Also, the contrast between the elements (regions, controls) and the background is MUCH better, in arrange you can now see the MIDI as well as audio inside regions much better and more "at a glance". And I am actually glad that they gave me no option to tweak the colors anywhere, I have so often altered the colorpalette colors and the piano roll background and the ebony/ivory contrast in 9, but it somehow never was really satisfactory. Now it's just there, I have to deal with it.

I think you should not underestimate how much any human being resents change, and loves (and needs) habits. We've grown accustomed to that (Logic 7-8-9) face...

To end it on another disclaimer note: this is of course a very personal thing, I really cannot disagree with an experience. I just don't think it is too dark.

I'm glad it works well for you. I'm not glad they gave us no option to tweak it like you are though. And seeing how many other people here wish they could change it but can't makes me even less glad that we can't change it.

OK, maybe the dark interface is better for working at nights, but I think we should still have some options for customization like we did Logic 9. For example I've always adjusted the color of white and black keys in the piano roll to "see" where I am at the keyboard, and also the darkness of the bar and the beat lines to see where I am time-wise. I want those options back!

And I also don't like the bigger fonts, which can't be changed (or can they?). I understand that on a laptop maybe that is easier to read, but at least give an option for those working on desktops. I mean, hell you can even do this in Finder!

System Preferences > Accessibility > Invert colours

8)

Wrong order! Safer option: 8) System Preferences > Accessibility > Invert colours

No kidding though, it looks pretty nice in (non-inverted) greyscale too! Didn't expect that.

Unfortunately, there's no (standard) key combo to toggle grayscale/color. Afaik.

1191628335_pic2013-07-20at12_30_08.PNG.fc2a59aaab171508792539db7e7bec71.PNG

If I may offer a different perspective: As one with a progressive degeneration of the retina, this one issue of Logic Pro X’s color scheme has weighed heaviest this week, and for very personal reasons.

So much so, that I sent an email to the highest powers (I’ve often read of people doing this). And, much to my surprise, I was contacted by someone on Logic’s marketing team in Cupertino, inviting me to speak with them next week.

At issue for me is not so much one of aesthetics (I love the new design), but necessity. I have come to depend on customization as my particular needs have changed during the last decade. The display settings for the piano roll, for example, have gradually changed with my eyesight. With LPX, that option is not only gone, but the darker areas themselves actually present the most direct challenge possible.

I think those who’ve mentioned adjusting contrast and accessibility features of the OS are well-intentioned, and some of these are well-suited for certain needs. It does not address the inherent challenge the design poses, at least not for me. To read the comments of others - with perfectly good eyesight - expressing an opinion that LPX is too dark, is itself telling.

If I had to sum up my experience with LPX, its as if I’m reaching for foreground elements like regions and midi bars, which themselves are colorful and fine, but which sit against a very dark grid that is hard to discern. I simply need those two planes to come together a bit more.

The other elements throughout seem less of an issue for me, though perhaps because of the newly enhanced font size that others have complained about elsewhere. You got to love life’s ironies!

As one with a design background, I’m equally loath to challenge a design aesthetic, though have asked Apple to consider balancing that with options. The fact that Apple has indicated they take my comments and observations seriously is itself gratifying, though who’s to say what might come of it. I have other DAW options I can consider, of course, as well as sticking with Logic 9 for the duration. But where’s the love in that?

pax

OK, maybe the dark interface is better for working at nights, but I think we should still have some options for customization like we did Logic 9. For example I've always adjusted the color of white and black keys in the piano roll to "see" where I am at the keyboard, and also the darkness of the bar and the beat lines to see where I am time-wise. I want those options back!

And I also don't like the bigger fonts, which can't be changed (or can they?). I understand that on a laptop maybe that is easier to read, but at least give an option for those working on desktops. I mean, hell you can even do this in Finder!

In display preferences you can uncheck "large local window menus". That might help a bit.

In display preferences you can uncheck "large local window menus". That might help a bit.

i wish that did it. some of the windows and fonts are ridiculously large...def a waste of real estate (especially on a 13" macbook pro).

wish we could scale that down a bit...

If I may offer a different perspective: As one with a progressive degeneration of the retina, this one issue of Logic Pro X’s color scheme has weighed heaviest this week, and for very personal reasons.

So much so, that I sent an email to the highest powers (I’ve often read of people doing this). And, much to my surprise, I was contacted by someone on Logic’s marketing team in Cupertino, inviting me to speak with them next week.

At issue for me is not so much one of aesthetics (I love the new design), but necessity. I have come to depend on customization as my particular needs have changed during the last decade. The display settings for the piano roll, for example, have gradually changed with my eyesight. With LPX, that option is not only gone, but the darker areas themselves actually present the most direct challenge possible.

I think those who’ve mentioned adjusting contrast and accessibility features of the OS are well-intentioned, and some of these are well-suited for certain needs. It does not address the inherent challenge the design poses, at least not for me. To read the comments of others - with perfectly good eyesight - expressing an opinion that LPX is too dark, is itself telling.

If I had to sum up my experience with LPX, its as if I’m reaching for foreground elements like regions and midi bars, which themselves are colorful and fine, but which sit against a very dark grid that is hard to discern. I simply need those two planes to come together a bit more.

The other elements throughout seem less of an issue for me, though perhaps because of the newly enhanced font size that others have complained about elsewhere. You got to love life’s ironies!

As one with a design background, I’m equally loath to challenge a design aesthetic, though have asked Apple to consider balancing that with options. The fact that Apple has indicated they take my comments and observations seriously is itself gratifying, though who’s to say what might come of it. I have other DAW options I can consider, of course, as well as sticking with Logic 9 for the duration. But where’s the love in that?

pax

I really appreciate what you've done and I hope something definitely comes of it.

I can't believe Apple isn't allowing people the option of changing the color. I'm not going to buy Pro X if they don't change this. That hurts my eyes looking at it. I like the overall look of Logic, but I wish there was more color and brighter. I was already on the fence, mainly not wanting to go through the hassle of upgrading (even though I'm usually for it if it offers justified new improvements), but this is a killer for me. It would be simple for Apple to change, it doesn't make any sense why they don't give people the option to customize it or just make it brighter.

I thought it was OK but very interesting to hear gpax on this.

Possibly a side issue... the numbers on the pan buttons eg "-15" or "+30" - no one can read those surely?

I have the mixer on a second monitor, 30cm to my left. The resolution on this monitor is significantly chunkier and brighter. But that medium gray text on light gray background for the pan... I just don't get how they could do that.

It just seems so obviously difficult to read. Even on this monitor I have to squint like an old man.

They seem to have borrowed the aesthetic of final cut x, but the issue with that is that the hierarchy of focus is different in audio software vs. video software. This dark, low-contrast ui won't distract from a video in final cut (this is the same principle as the black bezel that most likely surrounds the screen you are looking at), but in logic the ui is the focus. I've worked on a couple sessions with video files, and this ui makes sense in that context, but on an audio-only session in the daytime, I'm just suffering through distinguishing 80% black text on a 60% black background.

Holy crap! The new color scheme is definitely a deal breaker for me. It's actually quite shocking. I just downloaded LPX and I got an immediate headache just by looking briefly at it. Using dark grey text on darker grey background is insane. There is no contrast anywhere and trying to read text is extremely straining on the eyes.

It is very unfortunate that Apple seems to be bringing this "focus on content" style to all their apps and software. Just look at the iTunes iOS app, all grey icons and gray texts, the same as the redesign of the Mac iTunes Store. Artist names in super light grey and song names in darker grey. But no black anywhere! The same for the Finder since 10.7 etc. Even their website and all the help pages for all Apple software does not have black text on white background anymore. The text is grey (exempt headlines). Why? It's very tiring to read. For centuries we have used black text on white background for a reason. Is it really worth changing this now, and making things so much harder to read, just to be able to present a new look? And then iOS 7 sadly seems to bring much lower contrast and readability to the whole UI as well.

The new font in LPX is also more difficult to read, even thought it is larger. It is the same problem as in iTunes 11 vs. 10. I don't know why, but for some reason in Logic 9 and iTunes 10, you can just glance at an area of the screen and immediately get a good overview and find the item you are looking for without actually reading everything. But with LPX and iTunes 11, I have to read every item to find what I'm looking for. This take much longer and is very straining on the eyes.

I get the dark scheme for photo and video editing, but not for Logic. Good contrast is crucial for a UI, and I think that LP9 was as dark as you can go. It was fine but I would have preferred it to be even a little lighter.

I trade stocks for a living and stare at six 23" displays all day. All trading software have great contrast (i.e. white, red, green etc. text on black background, or black text on white background), and it is LESS tiring than a super dark UI. So obviously no need for the UI to be so dark. I don't think anyone complained that LP9 was too bright and that their eyes got tired easily because of it!