Logic X - capture MIDI data from Chord Trigger performances?

johnnyalan

Hello,

I have made and approach to record the midi using Scripter plugin render midi text and convert the text to midi file. It works perfectly.

Check this post for Scripter script and utility app...

It can be used as midi plugins freezer, or even as a static buffer retrospective midi recorder. It caches latest 500 - x midi events that you can recover later. Imagine improvising on midi keyboard in steady mode in Logic Pro (After you play stop button on transport panel) and have the midi getting back.

Midi Plugins Freeze Scripter Script and Utility app

Here is a video:

Wow, thank you jendakub for sharing this!

I tried it out and it works great. This seems to be a pretty elegant solution to the capture MIDI data problem.

With all the insightful people here, we now have a couple of ways to solve the problem.

It would be nice for the Logic team to give us a simple way to do this as well. We'll have to wait and see.............

Hey guys. I found a workaround using the IAC Bus. Looks more complicated than it is:

1. In Applications -> Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup (Show MIDI Window) enable the IAC Bus 1.

2. Add a MIDI-effect to an instrument track.

3. Record the arps or triggered chords as usual on that track until satisfied.

4. Create an "External Instrument" instrument track and select IAC Bus 1 as MIDI destination.

5. Go into the Environment, and choose New -> Physical input.

6. Drag a cable between the "IAC Bus 1" output on the "Physical input" object to the mixer object of the instrument you used in step 2.

7. Create a New -> "Sequencer input" object. Drag a cable from the mixer object previously cabled to IAC Bus 1 to the "Sequencer input" object.

8. Drag the MIDI effect (in the mixer) you inserted in step 2 to the "External Instrument" instrument track you created in step 4.

9. Drag the region you created in step 3 to the "External Instrument" track.

10. Press play to test if it works.

11. Arm and select instrument track, press rec and there you go!

There's a high chance of MIDI-feedback. Be sure to record with looping turned off. Experiment with putting a switch on the cable from step 7.

Also, not very Apple like to not include an easy way to do this. :(

Cheers,

/knod

All, there is a much LESS complicated way to go about this, and you don't have to touch the Environment at all.

Do this:

Perform steps 1 through 3 as outlined in Knod's post above.

4. Click the 'New Track with Duplicate Setting' icon, and remove the MIDI FX from that new duplicate track.

5. Change the instrument on your original instrument track to External Instrument, and set the destination to your IAC bus.

6. Record-arm the duplicated track.

7. Press Record.

Done. No Environment needed, no Scripter needed, no MIDI feedback loop.

Hey, this is working. This is a great!!!

The approach with the Scripter however gives the retrospective record ability, it is a feature Cubase has for a years (By default 10 000 events) and I am really missing in Logic. Are you all using some other tool to retrospective midi record or similar?

The approach with the Scripter however gives the retrospective record ability, it is a feature Cubase has for a years (By default 10 000 events) and I am really missing in Logic. Are you all using some other tool to retrospective midi record or similar?

This is so funny. I had just watched a tutorial on Logic MIDI FX by "Eli Krantzberg" and he did the same thing pretty much as Nola111.

If you think about it, it is really simple. All you have to do is send the Channel with the MIDI info to the IAC bus via an external instrument and record the input on another track. You can duplicate it or not. It is a good idea to take out the external instrument when you're done.

jendakub, Logic has a capture feature. Is this what you mean by retrospective midi?

Credit where credit is due -> Mr. Eli Krantzberg is in fact the man!

You're right Johnny, no need to duplicate the track if you don't want to - that's just the quickest way to get the same instrument you were working with while recording the effected MIDI. If you don't want to monitor it through that same instrument, you don't have to duplicate the track, you can just create a regular new instrument track.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so funny. I had just watched a tutorial on Logic MIDI FX by "Eli Krantzberg" and he did the same thing pretty much as Nola111.

If you think about it, it is really simple. All you have to do is send the Channel with the MIDI info to the IAC bus via an external instrument and record the input on another track. You can duplicate it or not. It is a good idea to take out the external instrument when you're done.

jendakub, Logic has a capture feature. Is this what you mean by retrospective midi?

Hi, yes the capture recording is kind of retrospective midi, the main limitation is that you must be playing track to be able to capture something, it do not captures when you stop playhead, such Cubase has this feature for latest 10 000 midi events so you can recover anything back even in stop steady mode.

I am currently adding this feature directly to the app, and making it even trim the silence parts drag parts back to logic and so other useful things.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys. I found a workaround using the IAC Bus. Looks more complicated than it is:

1. In Applications -> Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup (Show MIDI Window) enable the IAC Bus 1.

2. Add a MIDI-effect to an instrument track.

3. Record the arps or triggered chords as usual on that track until satisfied.

4. Create an "External Instrument" instrument track and select IAC Bus 1 as MIDI destination.

5. Go into the Environment, and choose New -> Physical input.

6. Drag a cable between the "IAC Bus 1" output on the "Physical input" object to the mixer object of the instrument you used in step 2.

7. Create a New -> "Sequencer input" object. Drag a cable from the mixer object previously cabled to IAC Bus 1 to the "Sequencer input" object.

8. Drag the MIDI effect (in the mixer) you inserted in step 2 to the "External Instrument" instrument track you created in step 4.

9. Drag the region you created in step 3 to the "External Instrument" track.

10. Press play to test if it works.

11. Arm and select instrument track, press rec and there you go!

There's a high chance of MIDI-feedback. Be sure to record with looping turned off. Experiment with putting a switch on the cable from step 7.

Also, not very Apple like to not include an easy way to do this. :(

Cheers,

/knod

All, there is a much LESS complicated way to go about this, and you don't have to touch the Environment at all.

Do this:

Perform steps 1 through 3 as outlined in Knod's post above.

4. Click the 'New Track with Duplicate Setting' icon, and remove the MIDI FX from that new duplicate track.

5. Change the instrument on your original instrument track to External Instrument, and set the destination to your IAC bus.

6. Record-arm the duplicated track.

7. Press Record.

Done. No Environment needed, no Scripter needed, no MIDI feedback loop.

— THANK YOU very much! this is works! :D

• 11 months later...

Frankly it's pretty short sighted to create this nice arpegiattor and then go thru hoops to capture it. I just wasted 30 minutes trying to duplicate the results from someone's online post..

It makes me wonder what is Apple thinking these days.. Why go to the bother of making these nice features, and not able to make them permanent.. Perhaps it will be easier to capture the audio and run through Celemony,....

I hate when you have a creative idea, and then have to spend 60 minutes to figure out a way to implement your idea.. Pretty much destroys your inspiration...

• 5 years later...
Did you try it? does it work.. I didn't like the fact there was nothing else on that web page. The app was created 2013. In actuality, I'm afraid to install it, cause there's no documentation. If you're brave enough to try, post here. Apple in their infinite wisdom decided NOT to make a Plugins MIDI out available. That's too bad. VST's can do it. (if they were designed to).. I use real guitars from Music Lab, they normal range midi notes for chord, then octave 6 - 7 for different arpeggio, finger picking or strumming. It would be great to get the midi out and double the Real guitar with a nice synth patch.