"project" vs "folder" systems

slamthecrank

Anyone know any real-world difference between the new Project system vs. the LP9 Folders system of files?

Is one actually different than the other?

I chose to save as "Projects", but now I'm wondering if that project file actually contains all of the old folders that used to be in the Main Folder of a LP9 project (bounces, backups, etc.)

Thoughts?

Tip for everybody on how to investigate: open a finished LP 9 project that has something of everything in its project folder (samples, audio files, backups) in LP X, Save it as "Myproject - test" (Include ALL assets), then if you want remove some assets (just so the folder does not get too big), then Save again. Then Save as a package "Myproject-testpack".

Open a window with the project folder contents, and one with the package (rightclick and "Show Package Contents"), and compare away!

I quickly inspected an LP X package, and I noticed that the project file backups are no longer one single file in a package. Also it seems they cannot be opened - which is a bit of a :?

I could find zero explanation in the LP X documentation of why and how to use one over the other, I would love to be enlightened about what is actually different, other than that doubleclicking it launches Logic and having to rightclick-open it from a contextual menu? What's the advantage? The internet told me they are folders "disguised to look like single files"... The only advantage I can think of is in a classroom situation perhaps? Less chance of inexperienced students effing up the project folder by trashing things from it?

1141359385_pic2013-07-28at09_38_42.thumb.PNG.e8c38b147cc4d05425b115f16c9fe093.PNG

I quickly inspected an LP X package, and I noticed that the project file backups are no longer one single file in a package. Also it seems they cannot be opened - which is a bit of a :?

The backups are opened directly from Logic now.

J.

Interesting.

So, do you have to specify that you are opening a "backup" within Logic, or do you just direct Logic to open a folder named "00"? (with no Logic file inside, just a plist etc?)

One downside to using the package option is that you can't access the audio files folder of other logic projects from the logic file browser. I also like to have the possibility to color label my project versions directly from finder.

Tip for everybody on how to investigate: open a finished LP 9 project that has something of everything in its project folder (samples, audio files, backups) in LP X, Save it as "Myproject - test" (Include ALL assets), then if you want remove some assets (just so the folder does not get too big), then Save again. Then Save as a package "Myproject-testpack".

Open a window with the project folder contents, and one with the package (rightclick and "Show Package Contents"), and compare away!

I could find zero explanation in the LP X documentation of why and how to use one over the other, I would love to be enlightened about what is actually different, other than that doubleclicking it launches Logic and having to rightclick-open it from a contextual menu? What's the advantage? The internet told me they are folders "disguised to look like single files"... The only advantage I can think of is in a classroom situation perhaps? Less chance of inexperienced students effing up the project folder by trashing things from it?

[attachment=0]pic 2013-07-28 at 09.38.42.PNG[/attachment]

the advantage is tidiness, these are the same as all the items in the applications folder, which the OS presents as single files but are of course many

lol

• 8 months later...

Found this older thread, but couldn't see the answer to my question. Does LPX have a way to save VS or Play instrument sample data into the project folder, or only EXS (Apple) samples? In File->Project Settings->Assets there is no check for "All assets", only checkbox for Apple things, audio files and movies.

Thanks,

Michael

Found this older thread, but couldn't see the answer to my question. Does LPX have a way to save VS or Play instrument sample data into the project folder, or only EXS (Apple) samples? In File->Project Settings->Assets there is no check for "All assets", only checkbox for Apple things, audio files and movies.

Thanks,

Michael

seems to be apple-only. i often use new sonic art's 'nuance' plugin for samples, and have to save those samples separate from my project file..

• 8 months later...

I'm new to Pro X & am struggling with how to save also. The way I'm used to working in L9 is: first save project with all sub folders in. Then each time the song makes a significant change, save just the 'song' only. So, if I change the bass sound I call my song 'Graham Song 2 bass sound'. If I add a mid section, I save as 'Graham Song 3 mid section'. This way I can always know where to go if I want to revert to a previous version or part.

How do I apply this to Pro X?

I'm new to Pro X & am struggling with how to save also. The way I'm used to working in L9 is: first save project with all sub folders in. Then each time the song makes a significant change, save just the 'song' only. So, if I change the bass sound I call my song 'Graham Song 2 bass sound'. If I add a mid section, I save as 'Graham Song 3 mid section'. This way I can always know where to go if I want to revert to a previous version or part.

How do I apply this to Pro X?

Your LP9 method would still work in LPX.

The new Alternatives could be another convenient approach. The only drawback from that new feature is that the Alternatives could be affected if one of them gets corrupted... Judicious prudence principles would apply here.

Personnally I did not encounter such problem so far, and find the Alternatives being a realy useful new addition.

Im using Logic X the way I've always used L9, which is folders style and then using Save As for my versions. How does Alternatives differ from that? I'm not understanding how one getting corrupt could ruin all alts.

One new thing I noticed that I'm not crazy about is that when you save using folders style, it creates a lot more empty folders than were created in L9. Now there are folders for everything including elements that might not be used in the sequence.

• 1 year later...

Additionally, when saving as "folder" but not checking any of the particular files (audio, etc ) below, it STILL includes a set of the audio files!

I mean the idea is to save those only once or at least only the new ones...is there any way of saving the next project update without re-saving all the audio files??

Looking forward to being shown that I was doing something wrong I hope ;)

M