Logic Pro X more headroom???

theambertheatre

Hasn't anyone noticed more headroom in Logic pro X?

I have to push the channel faders up a lot more and to hit red on the master fader.

In logic 9 I would have my drum channels sitting around -8dB - now i pushing them up to 0dB and above

I'm also needing to boost the prefade volume with the gain plugin a lot more than in 9.

I found that channels would hit the red much more/sooner in logic 9.

Not that lots of headroom is a bad thing

"Hitting red" is a meaningless term in a DAW, and only means red in the context of how the meters are coloured.

The audio processing is exactly the same, and so are the levels - just the meters have been reworked a little. So forget the "red" bit - what levels are you mixing to? (Hint: If you don't know, you should...)

You know that internally, inside the mixer, channels have approximately ~1500dB of headroom? And from the output of the master fader, a DAW has *zero* headroom - everything is fine up until 0dBFS and then we're clipping.

Mix headroom is where *you* decide to put it, which is why most people with good engineering practices are mixing to something like K12 or K14 or whereabouts, to leave themselves plenty of headroom in a fixed point file.

so what i'm saying is I seem to have to push my faders up lot more in X to get the equivalent output (from the master) I was getting in 9.

That make no sense to me at all.

Load your LP9 project into LPX and use a metering plugin to tell you the various levels on the channels and main output - they will be identical between versions. If they are not, something is very wrong...