Flex Pitch and Flex Time - at the same time?

AllTheButtons

• 3 years later...

Hi AllTheButtons!

I know this is from 4 years ago, but can you expand on your workaround. I needed to do the same on one of my tracks and stumbled upon your post. You say "bottom of the screen", I assume  you mean the window you get when you double click the region. But in there I still get the message: "Do you want to suspend all flex pitch edits?" when I try to switch to time pitch!

• Like 1

Hi Omar,

I don't use flex much these days so my memory is a little hazy and unfortunately my computer is in the Apple Store for repair, so I can't immediately check!

I definitely would have meant the editor that comes up at the bottom of the screen when you double click the region.

If you remind me in a week, I should have my computer back and will be able to check. Sorry if that's too long!

Hi AllTheButtons!

I know this is from 4 years ago, but can you expand on your workaround. I needed to do the same on one of my tracks and stumbled upon your post. You say "bottom of the screen", I assume  you mean the window you get when you double click the region. But in there I still get the message: "Do you want to suspend all flex pitch edits?" when I try to switch to time pitch!

This was 4 years ago though. Now you can get the same details in the Tracks area than in the Audio Track editor, furthermore this has nothing to do with Flex edits being suspended. Flex Time edits are not suspended when you're in Flex Pitch mode, it's only the other way around. So to have both Flex Time and Flex Pitch playback simultaneously, you need to be in Flex Pitch mode. 

• 7 months later...

I have an issue related to this - I performed some flex time edits then turned on flex pitch on the same channel to correct a few notes, and due to the nature of the audio (pizz cello chords), flex pitch being turned on creates glitches in sound. It seems that just having flex pitch turned on is problematic - glitches are present even in notes I haven't moved. What I'd like to do is turn off flex pitch without turning off flex time - so I can keep my rhythmic edits - is that possible?

Should I have bounced the region to a new file after performing the rhythmic edits?

You cannot have more than one algorithm active at once.

if you change your algorithm back to flex time (whichever you used) it should revert back.

if you wish to use both flex time and pitch algorithms, you first have to do either, print, then do the other.

That's not the case. You can use both Flex Time and Flex Pitch simultaneously. You just need to be in Flex Pitch mode to hear both edits simultaneously.

That's not the case. You can use both Flex Time and Flex Pitch simultaneously. You just need to be in Flex Pitch mode to hear both edits simultaneously.

I didn't say you cant use both interchangeably/simultaneously, i said you cannot have more than one algorithm active at the same time. :) (small but important detail)

Meaning, both flex edits indeed will remain, but if you switch form Flex-time (polyphonic) to for example flex-pitch, timing will be processed with flex-pitch instead of flex-time (polyphonic), changing the sound.

And if you switch back to flex-time, flex pitch cannot be heard.

This is especially noticeable with slicing algorithm, since its the only algorithm which essentially isn't even interpolating type like all others, or speed/tempophone.

My bottom line has always been: do one first, then BIP on a new track (and mute the first) [thus you don't loose anything, very easy to backtrack], then do the other on the BIP audio. This way you are sure that you have a timing algorithm for timing edits, and a pitch algorithm for pitch edits. This is essentially the same as what Ploki says, I think. Anyways, so far it has worked pretty fine here this way.

• 2 years later...

if you change your algorithm back to flex time (whichever you used) it should revert back.

if you wish to use both flex time and pitch algorithms, you first have to do either, print, then do the other.

Glad I've found this post, this has always been a mystery to me. I'm keen on multi layered vocals so getting this right as quickly as possible is vital.

However, I've discovered (after trial and error) that its best to flex time before flex pitch. If you do it the other way round you push your pitch corrections into each other with the flex time and they form unintended single notes. Does this make sense David? And finally (I think there's no safe alternative) Bounce In Place.

• 6 months later...

When in flex pitch mode, then going back to rhythmic mode, a flex edit/marker keeps getting added in a certain section. Why? How do I stop that?

I didn't say you cant use both interchangeably/simultaneously, i said you cannot have more than one algorithm active at the same time. :) (small but important detail)

Aha! Ok I see what you mean now. :)

was that always the case?

as far as i remember logic didn't retain timing edits after you went to pitch, if you went back. now it seems to work...

or maybe i was just wrong

Aha! Ok I see what you mean now. :)

as far as i remember logic didn't retain timing edits after you went to pitch, if you went back. now it seems to work...

Yes it's always worked the same way. You can make time edits and go to Flex Pitch then make pitch edits, and the last selected Flex Time algorithm and Flex Pitch both work simultaneously. Then if you go back to a Flex Time mode, at that point you get alert stating that the Flex Pitch edits are suspended: they are retained in memory but not active while you're working in Flex Time. If you go back to Flex Pitch again, your new Flex Time edits are active while your old Flex Pitch edits are active again.

Yes it's always worked the same way. You can make time edits and go to Flex Pitch then make pitch edits, and the last selected Flex Time algorithm and Flex Pitch both work simultaneously. Then if you go back to a Flex Time mode, at that point you get alert stating that the Flex Pitch edits are suspended: they are retained in memory but not active while you're working in Flex Time. If you go back to Flex Pitch again, your new Flex Time edits are active while your old Flex Pitch edits are active again.

Are you sure?

I mean its like this now - but i distinctly remember that you couldn't switch between the two and have flex-time respect your flex-pitch timing adjustments. Maybe it was like that in Logic Pro 9?

And then i remember some dialog from later versions asking if you want to "Suspend flex pitch edits" - which is also absent now

Logic 9 did not have Flex Pitch, it was introduced with Logic Pro X.

Yes, I am sure of what I stated but I am talking about time edits made while in Flex Time (not Flex Pitch). I didn't realize you were talking about timing edits made in Flex Pitch? I normally make my timing edits in Flex Time only so I wouldn't have noticed if that has changed throughout the different Logic Pro X versions.